Apple asks developers to focus on Mail, Graphics in first Mavericks 10.9.1 beta

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Why are people who have a problem when you don't dismissed as "paranoid schizos"?  What they say as "background noise"?  And why should those people switch platforms?  Yes.  Many people like the new OS and iOS.  Some don't, and some actually have real, serious problems (loss of data, loss of accessibility, vertigo).  That does not make them any lesser than those who like it and they shouldn't be ridiculed for their positions/opinions/health.

Have you read the thread indicated? I have. It’s all NSA this and NSA that, the government this and the government that. It’s not about whether the syncing works or not. It does. It’s about paranoia and politics. Most commenters are Europeans. Suggestions have been made about setting up local sync servers and such but noooooo... Apple must do this or that or else. I don’t mind people having an opinion or  wanting certain features restored. It’s the raging, vitriolic attitudes expressed. And those types need to be confronted and put down.

• Reply 22 of 38
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Which is a tiny, tiny, tiny minority of paranoid schizos, just like the over 100 page thread of those wanting to downgrade back to iOS 6 because it hurts their eyes and they don’t like the flat look. As in the thread you mention most of the commenters are the same small number of people ranting and raving over and over again, followed by another small number of people refuting the others position and so on and so on. It’s all background noise.

So get over it or change platforms.

Well said. Apple should either close or moderate that site. It is full of total rubbish and too many folks think it is some sort of official place to get answers.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fred242 View Post

@ Bergermeister: Thanks!

@ IKrupp: whoa there keep your shirt on! It may be ok in St. Louis but those of us not in the US have less sorry, NO protection from your government's blanket snooping- they even tap Angela Merkel's phone! Besides, our data protection laws would make it illegal to store personal information in such a cloud service. I'm sure Apple want to sell their products outside the US so isn't it in their interest to fix this?

Fix what? Are you saying it is illegal to install Mavericks in your part of the world right now because Mavericks syncs through iCloud? You certainly seem to indicate that. That’s news to me.  

• Reply 24 of 38
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    fred242 wrote: »
    Oh and by the way the thread in Apple discussions has over 70,000 views, irrespective of how many are posting. Are they ALL paranoid?

It is easy enough to find countless post with a so called problems which are clearly caused by their own ignorance and read it all the way through and see a sort of group hysteria as folks write "I have that too". Just reading Apple Insider you must realize Samsung, Google etc. have teams of folks paid or just volunteer acolytes posting misleading information and down right lies to fuel the fires of these situations and trying to start Antenna Gates.

As I said earlier if Apple had teams dealing with the questions to prevent folks spouting rubbish I would be all for it but they don't. Sure there are some knowledgable folks in that forum but the vast majority are like the blind leading the blind and trolls galore. IMHO that site should be close as i think it does more harm than good.

Meanwhile ... Mavericks 9.1 ... is it my imagination or is Safari .... no, that joke is too old ... :D
  • Reply 25 of 38
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Cue ...

whatever...

i'm not crazy that whenever i start iTunes after 12 hours (sleepy time), i don't get the same artist/album/song+ i left off at. when are they gonna fix that?

• Reply 26 of 38
    drblank wrote: »

I'm just wondering if Apple is going to implement an updated file system in 10.10.

It's not Carbon anymore, is it? It is 64 bit I thought, so what is it that you'd like to see? Or is it design wise, and what would you like to see then?
    mac_dog wrote: »

i'm not crazy that whenever i start iTunes after 12 hours (sleepy time), i don't get the same artist/album/song+ i left off at. when are they gonna fix that?

That sounds annoying. Guess all you can do is try a clean .plist and give feedback to Apple. But if there aren't many with this problem you might be out of luck...
  • Reply 27 of 38
    Actually before with all my usage I have gotten 5 Safari quits with the error report.
    Although Safari didn't quit and I could still run it, not frozen?
    This on a new iMac "slim" full maxed.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    Am I mistaken or is this an Easter egg in iOS 7. When you look up Mavericks beach on maps? I don't see this icon when I look up other California beaches
    [IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/35060/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

[IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/35059/width/200/height/400[/IMG]
  • Reply 29 of 38
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

It's not Carbon anymore, is it? It is 64 bit I thought, so what is it that you'd like to see? Or is it design wise, and what would you like to see then?

I don't know why we have to run permissions.  

• Reply 30 of 38
    paxman wrote: »
    Here's an issue - right click attached ms office document in an email (Mail) and ask for it to open in equivalent iWork app and the ms app opens. Move the attachment to the desktop and it works. 

Works at my end. But I did a clan install and did not restore from backup, but copied over manually. Maybe something awry went with your 10.9 install? Did you upgrade?
  • Reply 31 of 38
    drblank wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »

I don't know why we have to run permissions.  

You mean the fix permissions in Disk Mgr? I stopped doing that since, what, 10.4? No issues without running that. Well, I may have, just like I may have a virus; I just wouldn't know. Ignorance is bliss.
  • Reply 32 of 38

I would probably wait till 10.9.4 or even 10.9.5. It still seems too raw to be sure it won't glitch awfully or suddenly loose any data.

• Reply 33 of 38
    greybeard wrote: »
    I would probably wait till 10.9.4 or even 10.9.5. It still seems too raw to be sure it won't glitch awfully or suddenly loose any data.

That is preposterous to suggest. Besides, I think they learned their lesson from the Oxford 922 fiasco with 10.3.
  • Reply 34 of 38

Mavericks/iCloud and Europeans: one final comment on this as we are getting rather off topic. I never said it's illegal to use Mavericks in Europe. What I said is that if you use iCloud to store any personally identifiable data, other than a personal (i.e. not for business use) plain address book, then you are not complying with the Data Protection Act in the UK and similar legislation in other European countries. Before you continue your attack on me and all the other non US customers of Apple's, just for a moment try and reverse all the labels. Put iCloud's servers in, say, China and then tell me you wouldn't be very unhappy about your data being under the control of a foreign country's laws. And no, I am not comparing the US with China. Your country has a most admirable constitution which your government is choosing to subvert and ignore.

• Reply 35 of 38
    10.9 broke my DisplayLink adapters. I have two USB-to-DVI adapters that worked fine under 10.8 and now only one display works and my MacBook forgets the arrangement of the screens each time I reboot.

When I Bootcamp into Windows 8, both adapters work perfectly -- a bit frustrating and more than a bit ironic.
  • Reply 36 of 38

Really? That's all? How about about the broken power button that shuts everything off the instant you accidentally tap it? (Downloading a large file off of a server that doesn't support byte resume? Too bad! It's cancelled! Listening to music? Nah, why would you want to do that, you accidentally tapped the power button that's conveniently located right next to the backspace button! In the middle of solving a programming problem? Not anymore, it's time to turn off everything!) The 10 or so kernel panics I've gotten, all while the machine was supposedly sleeping? Ohh but I get to "tag" my files. How about I tag Mavericks as a piece of  

You get what you pay for. Mavericks is the worst OS X  "upgrade" yet and I've been on OS X since 10.1. If you haven't put Mavericks on your system yet - don't. Especially if you have a Retina MBP or Air, and actually work on your computer.

• Reply 37 of 38
    Originally Posted by Miss Priss View Post

Am I mistaken or is this an Easter egg in iOS 7. When you look up Mavericks beach on maps? I don't see this icon when I look up other California beaches

I think less easter egg and more just giving extra information since it’s related to an Apple product.

If Apple wasn’t so secretive, I would think they would have thrown down a lot more information about the facility at Infinite Loop (whereas other companies would have no such extra info).

• Reply 38 of 38
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member

10.9 has been a brilliant update for me. I'm sure the 16GB of ram in the new machine is also playing its part but this has been the smoothest update yet.

Very early on I had an issue where, if the laptop woke from sleep to a Safari page that was open it would render the page as scrambled rubbish. But flicking to a new desktop and back again caused the page to render correctly. Since the EFI firmware update I haven't seen this issue again, so it seems that it is fixed.