Apple shares may sink below Microsoft in S&P 500 influence after 2013 losses

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

Congratulations on another highly misleading article that disparages Apple.

• Reply 42 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

I'm having a problem wrapping my mind around the fact that Apple is still by far the most valuable company by Market Value at 475 B, Exxon at 407 B, Google at 345 B, and MS at 317 B.  The only company in 2 years who has either trade places for the top spot or even come close is Exxon.  MS may be a threat to Google but they are not even close to challenging Apple in value.  

Market value is ultimately worthless to an investor, it's the change in value that's important. If they were worth 475B when you bought stock and there still worth that, you've made nothing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Redmond is "surging"?  Based on what, exactly?

• A smartphone platform that is a failure in major markets and that has barely gained any traction worldwide?

• A tablet/PC/whatever platform that nobody really cares about, and which garnered MS a hefty writedown?

• A Windows/Office business model that is being steadily eroded by tablets that have nothing to do with Microsoft?

• A chronically-underdeveloped mobile app ecosystem?

• A money-losing and share-losing partner company that MS thinks is a great buy (that for some reason is developing a product that actually competes the MS' own offering - LOL figure that one out)?

• A chronically unprofitable gaming console?

Outside the US the phones doing relatively well and despite Windows history of bloat they've actually managed to make the thing run the best on cheap hardware.

Plus there's all the boring stuff like Azure, Dynamics, Link, SharePoint, Exchange, dev tools, Windows and Office still ultimately sell a lot. Xbox has been making profit for a number of years.

• Reply 43 of 48
    timgriff84 wrote: »
    Market value is ultimately worthless to an investor, it's the change in value that's important. If they were worth 475B when you bought stock and there still worth that, you've made nothing.

Outside the US the phones doing relatively well and despite Windows history of bloat they've actually managed to make the thing run the best on cheap hardware.

Plus there's all the boring stuff like Azure, Dynamics, Link, SharePoint, Exchange, dev tools, Windows and Office still ultimately sell a lot. Xbox has been making profit for a number of years.

For the individual investor what ultimately matters is what was the initial investment, how much did you make when you sold it and how much can you keep after taxes.
  • Reply 44 of 48
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    bigpics wrote: »
    Touchy, touchy....

"Reticulous" indeed.  On multiple levels.

WakeFinance is no troll, and the stock market's doing what it does - one piece of which is boosting stocks it's excited about and not acting excited about things which are cyclically out of favor.  Until they go off in another direction, fall out of love, fall into new love, etc., etc. 

And this is simply data about what the markets are doing now and the extrapolated trend (knowing that "past performance is no guarantee of future returns").

So with these posts you're not "troll detectives," rather simply reflexive bashers....

Spot on.

As often, it takes troll to "recognise" troll in others...
  • Reply 45 of 48
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    timgriff84 wrote: »

A lot of people here don't even have a clue how deep MS portfolio on business-side really is. I think they see it as Apple's late server effort, sort of "there is Windows Server OS and that's it". In reality, business part of MS efforts is their bread and butter, especially Volume Licensing segment... consumer segment, you can pretty much call it their "hobby". Sure they want more of it, but it is not make-it-or-break-it for them.

Windows phone (basically Nokia), they were outselling Apple in last quarter in Italy, Russia, India... and getting close in Germany, UK as well I think? and some other west European countries. Of course these are only recent sales, Apple does have accumulated much more devices in wild... but for late entry, I think WP is not doing bad at all. And Nokia did great job in covering all market segments, from 4" entry level to 6" high-end. They still need high-end 4.5-5" model with 4C SoC and 1080 screen, though I personally think this is more for in-factor than real need - but something like that was recently announced for Verizon, I think it will "leak" into other providers and contract-free sales as well.
  • Reply 46 of 48
    Are you truly delusional ?

Have you been paying attention to the markets over the last five years ?? Have you noticed that Microsoft has fallen further and further behind EVERY OTHER TECHNOLOGY ON THE PLANET in providing solutions to consumers? Do you do nothing except stare at a stream of numbers everyday versus actually spending time on the street talking to people ?

You're truly clue free...
  • Reply 47 of 48
    mstone wrote: »
    Funny, I run into incompatibilities all the time. Numbers apparently only has about half as many functions as Excel. I've been told most of the missing functions are statistical and finance related so I'm puzzled why you have not encountered them. Don't ask me which functions though because as soon as I encounter the warnings I have to send the files off to the Windows boys or fire up my own Windows box. I'm not an Excel formula guy except for simple stuff like SUM or PMT. All I know is, if when opening the file in Numbers, it generates a warning, there is no reason to continue because it will be a wasted effort.

That isn't what I mean. I am referring to a function or formula Excel can do that Numbers can't. When moving between two prices of software from two very different companies opening each other's files will always be a problem.
    Why can't Apple use OpenXML as the default file format?
  • Reply 48 of 48
    applecpa wrote: »
    Why can't Apple use OpenXML as the default file format?

Probably because of packages