Rumor: Major Foxconn factory to cease iPhone 5c production, focus on Apple's iPhone 5s

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jume View Post

Yes I know that, but looking at the over-stock problems that Apple has with 5C, I see they would more then love to sell much more of 5C's.

Agree on your 5C vs Samsung thing, but it's not working. Would work if the 5C was cheaper then Samsung Galaxy. I don't think 5C appeals to S3 or S4 users... 5C most likely appeals to all other android devices, but looks like not much as the pricing is not right on 5C. The one who will switch from S3/S4 will for sure go for iPhone 5S, but even that is not likely because of the small screen. I have seen more iPhones users switch from iPhones to Samsung these days just because of the big screen...

Anyway I'm not switching anywhere. Just saying Apple has a tough competition these days and should be working more aggressively. They are good at earning profits for sure, but as a consumer I see their updates more for building up their profit margins then doing good for us.

How do you know they actually have overstock issues? Basing this on facts from where? 

Did it ever occur that maybe Apple developed this phone as just another choice. Its not going to sell as much as the 5S.

Does the iPad Nano sell as much as the iPod Touch? Why doesn't anyone ever bitch about this, or why didn't they bitch about this in the past before the iPhone?

• Reply 22 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

STOP POSTING DIGITIMES LIES AND SLANDER.

Stop wasting your time. Your input will not affect what Appleinsider posts. Do you think you have any influence ... at all?

• Reply 23 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

While you are correct, the issue is that Apple still doesn't have a product for the off-contract market.

Of course they do. 

• Reply 24 of 56

What Digitimes is saying is news to our Apple investment community, and is valid subject matter for AppleInsider.

This is also another information morsel in the 5c versus 5s sales story, which runs to much more basic intel than simply whether a specific product is "making it."  I'm sure that the team at Apple is watching and learning a great deal from their trial balloon in this two-tiered iPhone thing.

I do wish the headline had been more neutral.  Foxconn is shifting capacity from 5c to 5s I suspect.  I doubt that it started with cutting back on 5c, then somebody looking around for something to do.

For all we know, Apple is giving up some desirable 5c capacity to meet higher than expected 5s demand.  Their evaluation may be that they can push the market toward the 5s more than their initial conservative evaluation suggested.

• Reply 25 of 56
    I was in a Verizon store about a week after the iPhone launch and there were 20 people in the store. The 5s was sold out, but the 5c was available. Not a single one of the 20 people were looking at the 5c. That's a small sample and could mean nothing, but there was zero interest in the 5c when I was there. This was in San Diego, CA.
  • Reply 26 of 56
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:

Well didn't understand that pricing scheme as well, but mostly I didn't think about it because I thought nobody is buying that anyway... Now the 5C phone is not just an 'old' phone. It's a neat looking NEW device that might be attracted to lots of (new) people. Sure I guess it's worth the money it's sold for, but I think they would sell way more if the price was like 150-200$ off. If nothing else I would bought 1 for my sister and one for my girlfriend :).

I bet Porshe would sell a lot more Cayennes if only it dropped the price from around $80, 000 down to about $15, 000. It would be out of business shortly thereafter, but hey it sold a lot of vehicles. 

Apple makes about 35 percent margins on its products including on the iPhone 5C. So that means the profit on a $550 iPhone 5C is about $190 dollars. You can see knocking $200 off would put Apple out of business. 

• Reply 27 of 56
    The iPhone is a phenomenon. It's a premium product that sells to the masses, yet continues to hold its cachét. (Kind of like Burberry, strangely). Maybe there is room at the top for a limited production super-premium iPhone? Or would that screw things up for this phenomenon?
  • Reply 28 of 56
    All the analysts and pundits are WRONG. CONSUMERS WANT MORE EXPENSIVE IPHONES, not cheaper ones. They definitely don't want junk-price iPhones.

And the demand for EXPENSIVE IPHONES is off the charts.
  • Reply 29 of 56

5C is a good phone but pricing is way off.

Prove it.

Why the hell would I even want to buy 5C when I cash in 100$ more and I get a lot more of a phone?

Then the phone isn’t being marketed to you.

If 5C would be half or even 3rd the price of 5S then I guess this would be selling much better as it is currently.

And if Apple paid YOU to take it off their hands, it would sell even better. But hey, that’s just as dumb an idea.

Sure I guess its worth the money its sold for

Make up your mind.

Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

the issue is that Apple still doesnt have a product for the off-contract market.

They’ve had one for about three years now.

Originally Posted by stynkfysh View Post

Not a single one of the 20 people were looking at the 5c. Thats a small sample and could mean nothing

It does mean nothing.

• Reply 30 of 56

By itself, it means nothing.  Combined with no one I know buying or interested in the 5c, Craigslist sale prices of the 5c at $300 for reputible sellers (have local phone number in posts), and repeated rumors of reduced production of the 5c forms a pattern of low demand for the 5c.  Still not conclusive, but seems like a credible possiblity.

• Reply 31 of 56
    jumejume Posts: 209member

Ok guys I'm giving up. Look's like you'all just experts here. I'm just saying from what I see and what I read. I have seen 0 people with iPhone 5C's in hand, while I have seen hundreeds with iPhone 5S. I guess there would be the same as if 5C never existed. Nobody wants it and that's a fact!

I gave Apple a lot of money in my 15+years of being a Apple user. I owned/own a lot of macs, iPhones, iPads nad iPods during these years. There was/is planty of users like me. That's why Apple today is the single most rich company on this planet. And they deserve it. They make the best products out there.

But competition is closing up. Look guys don't be blind as Apple once was and lost almost everything because of it. Some android phones are as good as Apple's, no question about it. Also tablets are getting better and better. Apple doesn't do much to get away, though they could... Mac's are different story, nothing come close if you ask me there.

But phones and tablets... well for me iPhone and iPad still beats'em all. But there are certain things which apple keeps ignoring. One is a larger screen iPhone (4.5-5max). I want a bigger screen on my phone. I don't want a 'phablet' I just want a bigger screen.

Then there is the iOS. Why the hell can't apple come up with something good as side-to-side app (like Windows 8 tablet has). That's genius idea. Why do I have to switch between 2 or even 3 apps every few seconds when I want to get some real work done on my iPad? I would love to have side-by-side app functionality. Would save tons of many and frustration... and there's more.

I am just saying that apple does gr8 product. I love to pay for what they do. But sometimes and it looks like these days this is getting more and more obvious ther are just blind and stupid not to do something that would be really good for consumer. Why do we always have to listen to Apple what is good and what is not?

• Reply 32 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Ward View Post

By itself, it means nothing.  Combined with no one I know buying or interested in the 5c, Craigslist sale prices of the 5c at $300 for reputible sellers (have local phone number in posts), and repeated rumors of reduced production of the 5c forms a pattern of low demand for the 5c.  Still not conclusive, but seems like a credible possiblity.

Yeah that's what I am talking about... Jst go to apple store. There's zillion people in there but the iPhone 5C tables are empty. The phone's a flop at this pricing scheme and I am sure at the end of Q1 or Q2 we'll get the numbers and the next keynote, someone of the top execs will say 'We were wrong about this and here's the new thing we are offering'

• Reply 33 of 56
    Quote:

Yeah that's what I am talking about... Jst go to apple store. There's zillion people in there but the iPhone 5C tables are empty. The phone's a flop at this pricing scheme and I am sure at the end of Q1 or Q2 we'll get the numbers and the next keynote, someone of the top execs will say 'We were wrong about this and here's the new thing we are offering'

I should have also added in my post that used and much older iPhone 5's seem to be commanding higher resale values than the 5c.  That's another indicator :^)

• Reply 34 of 56

I have seen 0 people with iPhone 5C's in hand, while I have seen hundreeds with iPhone 5S.

Anecdotal evidence is either universally equally admissible or worthless. Which do you want?

I guess there would be the same as if 5C never existed. Nobody wants it and that's a fact!

Then either prove it or shut up.

I gave Apple a lot of money in my 15+years of being a Apple user. I owned/own a lot of macs, iPhones, iPads nad iPods during these years

No one cares.

But competition is closing up.

lol.

Some android phones are as good as Apple's, no question about it.

Yeah, there is question.

I don't want a 'phablet' I just want a bigger screen.

Pick one sentence.

Why the hell can't apple come up with something good as side-to-side app (like Windows 8 tablet has). 

Probably because it’s a terrible idea. Please read about the neurological effects of “multi-tasking” and then about fundamental UI and UX construction.

Why do I have to switch between 2 or even 3 apps every few seconds when I want to get some real work done on my iPad?

Sounds like your problem, not Apple’s. Why can’t you find a single app that does what you need it to do?

• Reply 35 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Ward View Post

I should have also added in my post that used and much older iPhone 5's seem to be commanding higher resale values than the 5c.  That's another indicator :^)

http://www.telus.com/wireless/catalog/

• Reply 36 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

http://www.telus.com/wireless/catalog/

I meant the resell market.  Not what a retail is asking, which is likely constrained by their price and/or where Apple limits the selling price.  I would be curious to know which buyers pick though, between the 5 and 5c.  I would pick the 5 if those were my 2 options.

• Reply 37 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sounds like your problem, not Apple’s. Why can’t you find a single app that does what you need it to do?

Well from this looks like you never really used your iPad for anything else then showing around and browsing web? First let me tell you that I buy only the best apps out there for the purpose. So let me give you couple of examples:

EXAMPLE1:

Someone sends me via email a list of things that I need to add into a document (pages, excel, html or whatever). Yes I use iPad for content creation and quick fixes to my code when I am on the move. In this case I need to switch back and fort between mail and productivity apps if the list is long. And it makes me go crazy. That's one of the things that comes around very often.

EXAMPLE2:

I am doing a Skype chat/call or whatever on iPad and a buddy asks me hey do you have a phone number from this and this person. Yes I have wait I have to switch there and back again. God forsake he asks for email or some other detail as well. Switch 5 times to copy paste everything again.

EXAMPLE 3:

I am assembling some document together from multiple websites, and/or emails. Well there goes the same story again...

I mean I don't need full functionality of side to side apps. Each app could easily have 'striped-down' side view that you could stack up to another app. For example email would be currently opened email. Safari currently opened tab and so on... Windows 8, as much as I hate that crap, handles this very well, and what's the saddest part, is useful! And don't give me crap about performance and other multitasking can-do-cannot-dos. They do it and it works fine! There's tons of other problems why their tablets don't work, but this is one of the brightest sides of their tablets.

• Reply 38 of 56
    drblank wrote: »
    Sounds like Apple is just letting Foxconn handle the 5S and Pegatron handles the 5C. Well, that makes sense. I don't see what the problem is. I wouldn't expect the 5C to sell as well as the 5S. Apple typically sells more of their top of the line models of iPhones as the older models ramp down in demand.

We will probably never know anything for sure, but it would be interesting to know if the 5c is selling proportionally the same compared to the 5s, as the 4s did to the 5.

Another thought: The 5s is traditionally to be a smaller upgrade to the 5, so that next year the 6 can be a breakout bigger step in advancement. With the fingerprint sensor, the 64 bit A7 CPU and the M7, the 5s is quite a step forward... then next year, the iPhone 6 ought to be awesome!!
  • Reply 39 of 56
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

We will probably never know anything for sure, but it would be interesting to know if the 5c is selling proportionally the same compared to the 5s, as the 4s did to the 5.

Another thought: The 5s is traditionally to be a smaller upgrade to the 5, so that next year the 6 can be a breakout bigger step in advancement. With the fingerprint sensor, the 64 bit A7 CPU and the M7, the 5s is quite a step forward... then next year, the iPhone 6 ought to be awesome!!

Actually, the 5C is the smaller upgrade, they only put in a slightly bigger battery, but otherwise, it's just the Polycarb version.  The 5S was actually an improved camera, flash, processor (64 bit instead of 32 bit).

The IPhone 6 might also have the A8 processor. I'm hoping they put more RAM inside as well, etc. etc.  I'm hoping the larger screen model ships by around June.  Which might be possible since I think Apple has to release phones twice a year once for the larger screen (around 5inch) model and then one for the updated smaller screen (4inch).   I don't think Apple could release both models at the same time and have a chance at keeping up with demand.

• Reply 40 of 56
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Doooomed!