Retina iPad mini display shows poorer color accuracy than Apple's iPad Air

Comments

• Reply 61 of 180
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

So in other words it's NOT an oversaturated mess like you find on, say, Samsung devices.

Got it.

This isn't about saturation, it's about color gamut, or the range of colors the display is capable of reproducing.  How saturated those colors are is a different issue.  

• Reply 62 of 180
    Yes, there IS a limit to the number of angels that can stand on the head of a pin! Those who say otherwise are HERETICS!
  • Reply 63 of 180
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    herbapou wrote: »
    Yeah right, they are not using IZGO...

[SIZE=8px]If those panels are not IGZO then Apple deserved an award for what they did with a-Si LCD panel. Cutting half of the leds on a a-Si LCD and still manage to have a decent screen would be nothing short of a miracle.[/SIZE]

I think the second point is true, Herb. I haven't seen any indication that the rMini is using IGZO.
  • Reply 64 of 180
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    So in other words it's NOT an oversaturated mess like you find on, say, Samsung devices.

Got it.

I don't get your defensiveness. I'm a stock holder and the less than sRGB display on the mini is annoying. Next I'm guessing we'll see the rMini get an sRGB display, but for €399 for a 16GB version Apple should of added it this year if they about having the best products over making money.
  • Reply 65 of 180
    sog35 wrote: »
    Explain.

MiniR is $399 and Air cost $100 more.
    $100/$399 = 25%

Air cost 25% more than MiniR.  Why the Hell would you expect it to have identical specs?
    I know!
    You can tell the specs are different just by looking at it! It's bigger! Maybe even 25% bigger! I mean come on!
  • Reply 66 of 180
    Kinda sucks, but it's not a big deal. Like the article says, if you are that picky about display, get the larger Air.
  • Reply 67 of 180
    I don’t expect 60% cacao to taste like 95% cacao, after all.

That's an interesting point. Actually, it's not.
  • Reply 68 of 180
    Fact is, most people *just now* belly-aching about it wouldn't have really noticed had it not been pointed out to them.

I don't expect any two different Apple devices to have the same tone or "colour range" - whatever - to their displays in the first place, even if we're only comparing an iPad to a smaller iPad. Display manufacturers vary, and each "batch" can (and often does) have slightly different characteristics from others.

If you're looking for near-perfect colour accuracy in mobile devices, you're barking up the wrong tree.
  • Reply 69 of 180
    red oak wrote: »
    This is unacceptable. I hope someone at Apple is pounding the table and yelling that this should not have gone out like this.  The Aandtech.com review goes into depth on the issue 

How is it that companies with a fraction of the resources can ship much better displays at volume?  

I don't know about volume, but I still find it unacceptable. I expect better from Apple.
  • Reply 70 of 180
    The fun part is that if some $79 whitebox tablet running Android 2.3 had shitty gamut, Anandtech wouldn't have a story. It's only fun to dig dirt on Apple.

The iPad mini cost $399 for the 16GB version. I should hope they mention that it has a sub-sRGB display. After all it's by far the most important component of the iPad. By far!
  • Reply 71 of 180
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

I love how EVERYONE can now obviously tell the difference between the mini/Air display after this report, and have so much outrage, when I didn't hear a SINGLE negative peep about the display from a SINGLE person, from ANY forum or comment section, or ANY reviewer whatsoever. Not one, single negative comment about the screen- every single impression was ridiculously positive, even while millions of minis have probably already been sold. But now, after this report, everyone "notices" how this display is "washed out", "mediocre" , "shitty", etc, when it was near perfect before this report. 

Right. What a bunch of dishonest, disingenuous clowns some of you are. Grasping for straws for outrage. Yeah, when a product such as the mini pushes the envelope of technology to the limit, in terms of form factor, build quality, battery life, thinness, lightness, PPI, etc- you might need some tiny technical compromises to make the final product possible. If there was a comparable overall product to the mini made by anyone else on the planet, I'd say people have a point. But there isn't. Every single other product it's compared to has significant downfalls and compromises in one or more areas. 

• Reply 72 of 180
    herbapou wrote: »
    I have both the Air and new mini and its not so bad.  You can see the difference if you look carefully at both but normally you just used one device at a time...

On the other hand, the screen retention problem seems pretty serious. My ipad Air has it, my mini is OK. From what I saw the problem is pretty wipespread and could trigger a major recall at some point.

You should never buy any technology product until it's out at least 2 months IMO. Just to give them a chance to work out all the production kinks. Especially considering the sheer volume on new Apple products these days.
  • Reply 73 of 180
    ipenipen Posts: 410member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

This is unacceptable. I hope someone at Apple is pounding the table and yelling that this should not have gone out like this.  The Aandtech.com review goes into depth on the issue 

How is it that companies with a fraction of the resources can ship much better displays at volume?  

Don't worry, most people are not aware of this "small but apparent" non-issue. The retina mini will sell more units than the ipad air.  But personally I'll skip this generation.

Apple is saving the true sRGB display with DeltaE the same as or better than the ipad air for the next refresh.  Just like they saved the retina display for this generation of mini.

• Reply 74 of 180
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I love how EVERYONE can now obviously tell the difference between the mini/Air display after this report, and have so much outrage, when I didn't hear a SINGLE negative peep about the display from a SINGLE person, from ANY forum or comment section, or ANY reviewer whatsoever. Not one, single negative comment about the screen- every single impression was ridiculously positive. But now, after this report, everyone "notices" how this display is "washed out", "mediocre" , "shitty", etc, when it was near perfect before this report. 

Right. What a bunch of dishonest, disingenuous clowns some of you are. Grasping for straws for outrage. Yeah, when a product such as the mini pushes the envelope of technology to the limit, in terms of form factor, build quality, battery life, thinness, lightness, PPI, etc- you might need some tiny technical compromises to make the final product possible. If there was a comparable overall product to the mini made by anyone else on the planet, I'd say people have a point. But there isn't. Every single other product it's compared to has significant downfalls and compromises in one or more areas. 

You have no clue what you are talking about. Color gamut is not subjective it can be measured accurately. If you hold up an iPhone 5 next to the new Mini anyone can tell the Mini is washed out due to the lack of color gamut. If this was Samsung you would be bashing them, you are the one that is dishonest. 

If Apple is going to call their products premium and bash others then they better be able to deliver. The Mini color gamut on the Mini isn't even close to the Air we aren't talking about a 5% difference. 

• Reply 75 of 180
    slurpy wrote: »
    I love how EVERYONE can now obviously tell the difference between the mini/Air display after this report, and have so much outrage, when I didn't hear a SINGLE negative peep about the display from a SINGLE person, from ANY forum or comment section, or ANY reviewer whatsoever. Not one, single negative comment about the screen- every single impression was ridiculously positive. But now, after this report, everyone "notices" how this display is "washed out", "mediocre" , "shitty", etc, when it was near perfect before this report. 

Yes. This is exactly the point. Up until now, this device has received glowing reviews, and nary a word about any bad displays or colour issues.

Here's a taste:

http://gigaom.com/2013/11/15/what-the-reviews-say-about-the-ipad-mini-with-retina-display/
  • Reply 76 of 180
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I'm actually happy about this.

I didn't like that the iPad Mini Retina was looking to be identical to the larger Air, besides the display size of course.

The Air remains the premium Apple tablet, and I also liked that the Air was clocked slightly higher and has a little better performance than the Mini Retina. The Mini Retina is in between the iPhone 5s and the Air, in terms of performance.

The Mini retina remains a great tablet, but if somebody is a photographer or somebody who is looking for the absolute best performance, then the Air is the tablet to get.

Just because you don't use a rMini yourself doesn't mean you should be happy the rMini has a sub-sRGB display. Personally it kind of sickens me that the Nexus 7 2 has an sRGB blue when the even new, higher prices rMini doesn't have that. Colour gamut should be more important to Apple than that. And you just know the iPad mini 3 will have an sRGB display. If Apple prides itself in making the best products then they shouldn't be greedy about the rMini possibly taking market share from the iPad Air, especially considering the price of the base model rMini.
  • Reply 77 of 180
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Got it.

Color gamut and saturation have nothing to do with each other. Educate yourself before posting. 

• Reply 78 of 180
    sog35 wrote: »
    The Air is the top of the line iPad.  ($499 vs $399)

Why would you expect the MiniR to have the EXACT same quality screen?

The mini should be at least sRGB. Nobody will lose sleep if it's not exactly the same as the Air, but sub-sRGB for a 2013 16GB rMini isn't exactly great news for the mini. Apple should care more.
  • Reply 79 of 180
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Ok, time to repost what Raymond Soneira said last year about the reduced color gamut on the iPad mini 1 and the iPad 2.

PAY ATTENTION ALL YOU PEOPLE WHO THINK APPLE CHEAPED OUT:

[B]"The iPad mini and iPad 2 both have a reduced Color Gamut due to weak Red and Blue primaries that result from the White LED Backlighting. It's an intentional tradeoff made to increase screen brightness, power efficiency and battery run time. The new iPad corrects these deficiencies and has a much larger Gamut that is an excellent match to the Standard so it can produce accurate colors as long as there is also an accurate Standard White Point and Standard Intensity Scale."[/B]

You'll find the review here:

http://www.displaymate.com/Gamut_11.html

The "new iPad" he's referring to is the iPad 3 or 4.

Now, using that rarely applied human resource, logic, we see that it is the restrained backlighting—for the purpose of keeping down weight and preserving battery life—that has caused Apple to go with reduced gamut on the new retina Mini.

They did it not to preserve their margin, but to preserve the mini form factor. You can argue that this was the wrong choice, but don't be talking trash about it being a profits decision or even a technology decision. It's a user experience decision. They have to fit all the works in that machined aluminum case, now .3 mm thicker, and the device less than an ounce heavier.
  • Reply 80 of 180
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Bravo.

Both the Air and MiniR are technological marvels.  The combination of CPU power, batter life, lightness, thiness, in a metal form factor is unmatched.  Yet we still have idiots bring up color gamut.

When was the last time you heard someone grumbling about the color gamut on their HDTV?  This is just an excuse for Apple haters to spew more of their crap.

A HDTV is rarely used to accurately edit picture. You would be the same person in another thread to argue that the iPad is not a toy but a personal computer. If that's the case and it comes with software to edit pictures then it better be able to produce accurate colors. Can't have it both ways. 

The only idiots (your word not mine) would be the people that would be bashing the hell out of Samsung or Amazon if this article was about the Galaxy or the Fire. Which we all know would be a pile on. Again can't have it both ways.