Apple supplies developers with first beta of iOS 7.1

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The first beta of iOS 7.1, Apple's forthcoming update for its mobile operating system, was provided to developers on Monday, just a few days after the incremental iOS 7.0.4 update was issued to the public.

iOS 7

People familiar with the pre-release build of iOS 7.1 said it is identified as build 11D5099e. The software can be downloaded from Apple's developer center website, though it is intended solely for testing purposes.

Apple's release notes for the software reportedly do not reveal any major changes or new features in the point-one release. There are also said to be a number of known issues with the first build, including problems with Bluetooth, iTunes Match, and developer-facing functions such as UIKit and Crash Logs.

The developer-only release of iOS 7.1 comes just a few days after iOS 7.0.4 was released to the public. That minor update addressed a few bugs on Apple's mobile platform, including an issue that would cause FaceTime calls to fail for some users.

Even with four minor updates so far, users continue to report a number of bugs and issues with Apple's revamped iOS 7. Specifically, crashes are frequently seen when using the new multitasking interface, causing the device to randomly restart, displaying the black startup screen with white Apple logo.

Also on Monday, Apple released a new beta for its Apple TV set-top box software. That pre-release build is referred to as Apple TV version 6.1.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 73
    Yes!! New Safari and Newstand icons!! Beautiful
  • Reply 2 of 73
    Even with four minor updates so far, users continue to report a number of bugs and issues with Apple's revamped iOS 7. Specifically, crashes are frequently seen when using the new multitasking interface, causing the device to randomly restart, displaying the black startup screen with white Apple logo.

I thought this was only on the 5s, maybe the 5c as well. But not on the 5 AFAIK.
  • Reply 3 of 73
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Someone on MacRumors says animations have been sped up.
  • Reply 4 of 73

What?
  • Reply 5 of 73
    Animations definitely are sped up
  • Reply 6 of 73

Yes there is. Here is the complete list.

• Reply 7 of 73
    starxdstarxd Posts: 128member
    Quote:

...displaying the black startup screen with white Apple logo.

Really?  I get a grey startup screen with a black Apple logo...

• Reply 8 of 73
    Quote:

Really?  I get a grey startup screen with a black Apple logo...

That's a new feature of iOS 7... White iOS devices have grey with black apple, black iOS have black with white apple.

I didn't know this either till I got my white iPad Mini WRD on Friday. (All my other iOS devices are black)

• Reply 9 of 73
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Screenshot!
  • Reply 10 of 73
    I get strange "reframing" of some apps when I first open them on my iPad. Words With Friends for example. Don't know if that is an app or iOS issue, but would like to see it cleaned up. Also have had a couple of demi-crashes where the screen will go to black with the white apple in the center, then quickly recover. Odd. Never happened in iOS 6.
  • Reply 11 of 73
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

In my opinion, it would be pretty unforgivable if Apple didn't separate the parallax feature from the icon zoom animations into 2 toggles, from the "reduce motion" accessibility. There's not a single person that thinks this makes sense. I can't stand the parallax effect, but if I turn it off, I'm stuck with a shitty fade effect instead of the current open/close animation. What the hell would be wrong with having a "parallax effect" and "animations" toggle? I've heard so many complain about this, and thats very low hanging fruit that I assumed Apple would address in 7.1. I can't imagine it would take more than a couple lines of code. The 2 effects have absolutely nothing to do with each other, and the way they're combined in an ON/OFF toggle is ridiculous. 

• Reply 12 of 73
    ireland wrote: »
    Screenshot!

• Reply 13 of 73

Not a screenshot of a con man, a screenshot of the new icons.
  • Reply 14 of 73
    slurpy wrote: »
    In my opinion, it would be pretty unforgivable if Apple didn't separate the parallax feature from the icon zoom animations into 2 toggles, from the "reduce motion" accessibility. There's not a single person that thinks this makes sense. I can't stand the parallax effect, but if I turn it off, I'm stuck with a shitty fade effect instead of the current open/close animation. What the hell would be wrong with having a "parallax effect" and "animations" toggle? I've heard so many complain about this, and thats very low hanging fruit that I assumed Apple would address in 7.1. I can't imagine it would take more than a couple lines of code. The 2 effects have absolutely nothing to do with each other, and the way they're combined in an ON/OFF toggle is ridiculous. 
    Be prepared to unforgive Apple. I'll bet anything this hasn't changed in 7.1.
  • Reply 15 of 73
    Not a screenshot of a con man, a screenshot of the new icons.
    Pretty lame joke. Almost as bad a Safari is snappier. I wonder when people will ever get over the damn icons. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 16 of 73
    slurpy wrote: »

I don't know about unforgivable, but yes it doesn't make sense that they are connected. Frankly I don't think Apple should have bothered adding parallax to iOS 7.
  • Reply 17 of 73
    rogifan wrote: »
    Pretty lame joke. Almost as bad a Safari is snappier. I wonder when people will ever get over the damn icons. :rolleyes:

Oh. Yeah I've kind of got used to their hideousness. I think by far the ugliest is the Mail icon. It reminds me of some of the promotional material the O2 carrier was always putting on TV and billboard advertisements. The way of the gradient doesn't work at all. Even a mirror of the gradient on the weather icon would have been preferable, though not ideal.
  • Reply 18 of 73
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    I wonder why they would go from iOS 7.0.4 to iOS 7.1, they don't usually do that.
  • Reply 19 of 73
    drblank wrote: »
    I wonder why they would go from iOS 7.0.4 to iOS 7.1, they don't usually do that.

And you're a member of this forum since when?
  • Reply 20 of 73
    Oh. Yeah I've kind of got used to their hideousness. I think by far the ugliest is the Mail icon. It reminds me of some of the promotional material the O2 carrier was always putting on TV and billboard advertisements. The way of the gradient doesn't work at all. Even a mirror of the gradient on the weather icon would have been preferable, though not ideal.
    I guess I don't really pay attention as the amount of time I spend looking at icons is next to nill.