Retina iPad mini display shows poorer color accuracy than Apple's iPad Air

Comments

• Reply 81 of 180
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Then buy the Nexus 7 you clown.

Pathetic.

Don't call me a clown and pathetic. You've been reported.
  • Reply 82 of 180
    Then buy the Nexus 7 you clown.

If it makes you so sick vote with your dollars.  But of course you won't.  Because you know in your heart the MiniR is the far superior product but you just want to lash out at any small problem with any Apple product to make yourself feel better.  Pathetic.

You know nothing about me. Stop talking now before you embarrass yourself further. I'm a huge Apple nut who has owned every large iPad, every iPhone, 5 iMacs, 2 MacBook Airs, 2 Apple TVs, 10 iPods, 4 AirPort Extremes and 1 AirPort Express. And I'm an AAPL shareholder. Check out my location. Quit this forum now before you give yourself a headache.
  • Reply 83 of 180
    ireland wrote: »
    The mini should be at least sRGB.
    No kidding. I mean really, it is 2013 right?
  • Reply 84 of 180
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Does Apple provide information about iPad display color accuracy on their web site?  Unless Apple actually provides this information, wouldn't people just assume (and rightly so) that color accuracy is the same on all iPad models?

No, Apple does not need to provide anything, there are off the shelf hardware that can read color. For example, X-Rite has a device called i1Display Pro, which can also read color from your screen for $270

• Reply 85 of 180
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    herbapou wrote: »
    I have both the Air and new mini and its not so bad.  You can see the difference if you look carefully at both but normally you just used one device at a time...

On the other hand, the screen retention problem seems pretty serious. My ipad Air has it, my mini is OK. From what I saw the problem is pretty wipespread and could trigger a major recall at some point.

Recall?
    Don't make me laugh.
    Everything Apple do is controlled by the software and not hardware.
  • Reply 86 of 180
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Just because you don't use a rMini yourself doesn't mean you should be happy the rMini has a sub-sRGB display. Personally it kind of sickens me that the Nexus 7 2 has an sRGB blue when the even new, higher prices rMini doesn't have that. Colour gamut should be more important to Apple than that. And you just know the iPad mini 3 will have an sRGB display. If Apple prides itself in making the best products then they shouldn't be greedy about the rMini possibly taking market share from the iPad Air, especially considering the price of the base model rMini.

You are way off here, way off.

If the retina mini were to be full sRGB it would have to be significantly heavier and thicker, or it would lose hours of battery life. As a stockholder, I would think these choices would concern you more.

Edit: And see my post above, please, then consider your sickening again. Maybe you'll feel better!
  • Reply 87 of 180
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post

You have no clue what you are talking about. Color gamut is not subjective it can be measured accurately. If you hold up an iPhone 5 next to the new Mini anyone can tell the Mini is washed out due to the lack of color gamut. If this was Samsung you would be bashing them, you are the one that is dishonest. 

Where the hell did I say that color gamut is not an objective measure? All I said that was the difference did not even warrant a single negative comment about the display from anyone who has viewed or reviewed it thus far, which is saying something. 

Also, I'm "dishonest" because of a hypothetical, fictional scenario you pulled out of your ass, where you claim I would be bashing Samsung over color gamut? No actually, I never have, and would never bother bashing Samsung over something so trivial- that would be very low in the heirarchy of things I would bash them for, and not even worth mentioning compared to their larger offenses. For example, their IP theft, their shameless cloning of success hardware and software concepts from Apple, their repugnant Touchwiz interface, the inconsistent and shoddy performance of their products, the shitty build quality of their products which is described as "ridiculously cheap and slimy plastic" from reviews, their dishonest and underhanded marketing, their bulletpoints of features which hardly function (ie. eye-tracking, gestures, etc), the way they spam products to see what sticks, the way they dishonestly fix benchmarks to make them favorable, etc. Color gamut? Yeah, that would be WAAY down the list, nevermind the fact that Samsung's mobile devices are notorious for having extreme saturation and nowhere NEAR accurate colors. So yeah, try again. 

• Reply 88 of 180
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    No kidding. I mean really, it is 2013 right?

See my posts above. Ready to be logical and not emotional?
  • Reply 89 of 180
    flaneur wrote: »

If the retina mini were to be full sRGB it would have to be significantly heavier and thicker, or it would lose hours of battery life. As a stockholder, I would think these choices would concern you more.

And you know this for a fact? Keep in mind the thickness of the Air.
  • Reply 90 of 180
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

That's an interesting point. Actually, it's not.

And if it actually wasn’t, you would have stated why.

And if it actually wasn’t, you would have made an actually interesting point.

Simple.

• Reply 91 of 180
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    atlapple wrote: »
    If you hold up an iPhone 5 next to the new Mini anyone can tell the Mini is washed out due to the lack of color gamut.

Exactly, if you hold it up next to something else you can contrast difference easily. Just as if you told me one flagpole was 21 feet high and another was 20 feet high I couldn't easily tell you which was shorter and which was taller until you did a side-by-side comparison.
  • Reply 92 of 180
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    flaneur wrote: »

Edit: And see my post above, please, then consider your sickening again. Maybe you'll feel better!

There are other factors to consider here beside an additional power draw; considerations that I think weigh heavier on their choice for the Retina iPad Mini display. Namely the choice to stick with 1024x768 with a better color gamut for another year or move to Retina but have to sacrifice a premium color gamut for the entirety of the line due in order to produce enough units to make the update worth it.

Of course I want perfect sRBG range but I would not have bought the 2013 iPad mini if had that but was not Retina. In fact I bought the Retina iPad Mini after I read Anand's review of the new iPad Mini knowing full well the color gamut may not be as good as with the iPad Air or those other tablets that ship in much lower volume and have a much worse UX despite their better color gamut.
  • Reply 93 of 180
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Agree with this.  I see pictures comparing the two but really the panels need to have the same break-in period to compare.  Also there are differences between individual iPads.  Bottom line is the difference is so minor its not even worth discussing.  I own an Air and had some time with a MiniR and there is no difference to me.  Unless you do professional photo work.  In that case stop being cheap and expect a $399 product to bring home your bacon.  Go buy a thunderbolt display for $999.

Because everyone can bring a 27" thunderbolt display out on location... ...not.

A few observations: 

1. the screen shots on Anandtech show a clear difference, not hard to discern at all and there's no reason to believe Anand had an interest in skewing.  He loves the product.

2. After resolution and calibration of saturation, etc., gamut is the most important variable left (more important e.g., than pure off-axis view angles for those who care about their pics - and moot here as off-axis is likely close on both). 

Bottom line: for photogs and the visually discerning, the Air's gamut is good enough for pre-proofing and maximal "pop" in general viewing.  While the mini's is good enough for posting on facebook, sharing grab shots with friends and collecting memories.

And Apple knew this going in and was mum - which is their prerogative but not particularly laudatory. 

So. Whatever. I was already leaning toward the Air. I do both writing and photography on the go and the bigger virtual KB's a blessing in the first regard, and now I know the gamut is in the latter. 

• Reply 94 of 180
    Lifted from the conclusion of the review%u2026

"As much as I prefer the iPad Air%u2019s display and as much as I love having more performance, I%u2019d probably lean towards the mini personally."

This is an issue looking for a headline. Oh wait, it found one!
  • Reply 95 of 180
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    herbapou wrote: »
    I have both the Air and new mini and its not so bad.  You can see the difference if you look carefully at both but normally you just used one device at a time...

On the other hand, the screen retention problem seems pretty serious. My ipad Air has it, my mini is OK. From what I saw the problem is pretty wipespread and could trigger a major recall at some point.
    trade in you defective devices for non defective ones please.
  • Reply 96 of 180
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    AT THIS POINT WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE?
  • Reply 97 of 180
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    The mini should be at least sRGB. Nobody will lose sleep if it's not exactly the same as the Air, but sub-sRGB for a 2013 16GB rMini isn't exactly great news for the mini. Apple should care more.
    and Apple wants your premium dollars for a devices thats not completely premium.
  • Reply 99 of 180
    If you are so outraged then buy the Nexus 7.

Outraged? Wut?

Buy a Nexus 7? lol
  • Reply 100 of 180
    And if it actually wasn’t, you would have stated why.
    And if it actually wasn’t, you would have made an actually interesting point.

Simple.

I'd never get into a debate with you. You create such powerful arguments.