Retina iPad mini display shows poorer color accuracy than Apple's iPad Air

Comments

• Reply 101 of 180
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

completely premium.

Enjoy subjectivity.

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I'd never get into a debate with you.

Then don’t bother replying at all. Again, if the above statement was in any way true, you wouldn’t have bothered replying. 

Either speak your mind or quit whining entirely.

• Reply 102 of 180
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Show me another tablet the size of the MiniR:
    Metal frame.
    Retina Screen.
    10 hour battery life.
    64 bit A7 (or 32 bit equivelent)
    $399
    12 oz

Show me one.  Show me a single device that has all that besides the MiniR. 

Quit being so angry and defensive. The mini is an awesome device. It's just a pity Apple didn't add an sRGB display as we expect the best from Apple, and especially considering tablets are basically a big screen.
  • Reply 103 of 180
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Then don’t bother replying at all.

OK
  • Reply 104 of 180
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    The display looks great in person.

FUD
  • Reply 105 of 180
    Quote:

Originally Posted by akqies View Post

Exactly, if you hold it up next to something else you can contrast difference easily. Just as if you told me one flagpole was 21 feet high and another was 20 feet high I couldn't easily tell you which was shorter and which was taller until you did a side-by-side comparison.

I didn't do the comparison. Like I said in one of my other posts, color gamut is not subjective the more narrow the gamut the more the screen is going to looked washed out because it is out of balance. This is an LG issue but it's impacting an Apple product. It's not like there is a marginal difference between the Air and the Mini there is a fairly big difference. 

The reason this is important is anyone doing photo work on an iPad my want to consider the difference in color gamut. People act like we are calling the Mini garbage, that is not the case however this issue has to be a consideration for some users. That is hardly unreasonable. The Air is better suited for people that needed better color accuracy. 

• Reply 106 of 180
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

The display looks great in person.

FUD

For all we know you could have 20/200 vision. 

• Reply 107 of 180
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    atlapple wrote: »
    I didn't do the comparison. Like I said in one of my other posts, color gamut is not subjective the more narrow the gamut the more the screen is going to looked washed out because it is out of balance. This is an LG issue but it's impacting an Apple product. It's not like there is a marginal difference between the Air and the Mini there is a fairly big difference. 

The reason this is important is anyone doing photo work on an iPad my want to consider the difference in color gamut. People act like we are calling the Mini garbage, that is not the case however this issue has to be a consideration for some users. That is hardly unreasonable. The Air is better suited for people that needed better color accuracy. 

We all thank you for your concern and if I was doing "photo work" on a tablet I would then get an iPad Air but I'm not, and most people aren't so your concern for those that just want a better display over the previous iPad you just come across as a concern troll. As I stated previously, we all want the colors to be more accurate (unless you are sucking Samsung's AMOLED teat) but if it's a toss up between having or not having Retina this year to get it then Apple made the right decision.

BTW, who are these professionals that do all their work on an iPad Mini that are now left out? Note that it's no worse than last year in that regard so these professionals were already weren't using the iPad Mini.
  • Reply 108 of 180
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Where the hell did I say that color gamut is not an objective measure? All I said that was the difference did not even warrant a single negative comment about the display from anyone who has viewed or reviewed it thus far, which is saying something. 

Also, I'm "dishonest" because of a hypothetical, fictional scenario you pulled out of your ass, where you claim I would be bashing Samsung over color gamut? No actually, I never have, and would never bother bashing Samsung over something so trivial- that would be very low in the heirarchy of things I would bash them for, and not even worth mentioning compared to their larger offenses. For example, their IP theft, their shameless cloning of success hardware and software concepts from Apple, their repugnant Touchwiz interface, the inconsistent and shoddy performance of their products, the shitty build quality of their products which is described as "ridiculously cheap and slimy plastic" from reviews, their dishonest and underhanded marketing, their bulletpoints of features which hardly function (ie. eye-tracking, gestures, etc), the way they spam products to see what sticks, the way they dishonestly fix benchmarks to make them favorable, etc. Color gamut? Yeah, that would be WAAY down the list, nevermind the fact that Samsung's mobile devices are notorious for having extreme saturation and nowhere NEAR accurate colors. So yeah, try again. 

This was a review and it was noted that the display has the same narrow color gamut as the non retina display on the previous Mini. I don't care what Samsung, Amazon or anyone else does, I don't buy their products. I have even said in my previous posts to others that if you take every other company out of the loop the Mini should at least have the same color accuracy as the Air. 

Apple is charging an premium for the upgraded display yet it still has a fairly major flaw. Most consumers won't care or won't notice, however we already know that members of this forum know more than most consumers. 

It's a valid topic to debate, it's also valid to debate if it's something that Apple should address. 

• Reply 109 of 180
    Quote:

We all thank you for your concern and if I was doing "photo work" on a tablet I would then get an iPad Air but I'm not, and most people aren't so your concern for those that just want a better display over the previous iPad you just come across as a concern troll. As I stated previously, we all want the colors to be more accurate (unless you are sucking Samsung's AMOLED teat) but if it's a toss up between having or not having Retina this year to get it then Apple made the right decision.

BTW, who are these professionals that do all their work on an iPad Mini that are now left out? Note that it's no worse than last year in that regard so these professionals were already weren't using the iPad Mini.

What data do you have to backup that most people aren't. If that were true why would Apple now include a free copy of iLife? Are they doing this because people don't do photo work? Yeah that's logical. 

• Reply 110 of 180
    Apple is charging an premium for the upgraded display yet it still has a fairly major flaw.

Show us where they are charging a premium for full sRGB? Show us where they claim anything other than what they state on their marketing and spec sheets?

If you call an intended compromise of doing business a flaw then you have to call anything less 100% a flaw, which then includes the iPad Air, not to mention the iPad Air having air space between the display and glass which means it's visibly not as good as the Kindle Fire HDX, especially with bright light sources at various angles.
  • Reply 111 of 180
    What data do you have to backup that most people aren't. If that were true why would Apple now include a free copy of iLife? Are they doing this because people don't do photo work? Yeah that's logical. 

So you're argument is Apple is giving iPhoto away because too many people were buying it? WTF?!?!?!?!

It's clearly an incentive to sell more HW. That's where it begins and ends. If you are claiming people care more about full sRBG over 4x the number of pixels on their tablets you need to tell us why tablet sales are so high and Macs with IPS displays are so low compared to WinPCs which still use TN panels, and not the quality TN panels Apple has used for a decade, or prove that iPad buyers never used their WinPCs for photos.
  • Reply 112 of 180
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

99.9999% of consumers don't know about color gamut or give a sheet about it.

End of discussion.

Wrong. They may not know the term but they know when they see a screen that has poor color and looks washed out. If they are in an Apple store and look at a mini and an air they will see the difference right in the store.

Thats like saying if you go into Best Buy and look at all the TV's on the wall you can't tell which one has better color and which ones look washed out. They don't know it's color gamut but they know it looks bad. Consumers buy electronics based on color gamut more often than not, they just know what looks better to them, they just don't know the term. 

End of discussion. 

• Reply 113 of 180
    I bought an ipad mini after reading that review from here http://bit.ly/1bKef23 best price i could find by a mile.
  • Reply 114 of 180
    ecsecs Posts: 307member
    While I see differences in saturation, the example chosen isn't good, because it doesn't show loss of shades. A good example would be one that shows 16 shades of red in one display while the other just distinguishes -say- 12 shades. But if I need to display 255 different shades of red, the example shown doesn't tell if the gamut will be clamped on the Mini
  • Reply 115 of 180
    Quote:

So you're argument is Apple is giving iPhoto away because too many people were buying it? WTF?!?!?!?!

It's clearly an incentive to sell more HW. That's where it begins and ends. If you are claiming people care more about full sRBG over 4x the number of pixels on their tablets you need to tell us why tablet sales are so high and Macs with IPS displays are so low compared to WinPCs which still use TN panels, and not the quality TN panels Apple has used for a decade, or prove that iPad buyers never used their WinPCs for photos.

No I am saying Apple is giving the software away because it helps sell their hardware. It will also help sell iCould storage. 

There is more then one kind of IPS display. There are also better quality TN panels,  the Macbook Air that I am using right now proves that point.

I also use a W530 thinkpad because it is ISV certified and has a 97% color gamut. By the way it's a TN panel. It has a better TN panel then anything Apple has ever used. 

Besides all this aside doesn't take away the fact that the Mini has a narrow color gamut. Having an IPS panel has nothing to do with the color gamut. Many of the IPS panels Apple uses are prone to burn in, this is been well documented on the iMac been reported since 2007.

• Reply 116 of 180
    sog35 wrote: »
    No one complained about the gamut until these tests came out. 

So are you telling me you know Apples consumers better than Apple?  What arrogance.  So you think Apple used less than perfect gamut thinking many customers would want perfect gamut?

The point is the gamut is not horrible.  Its very good and very few can discern it without test patterns or a trained eye.  If the gamut was terrible then you have a point but even the reviewer said most won't even know the difference.

End of discussion.

No, he's saying we should all hate Apple for charging more money for the new iPad Mini for what he says is for a wider gamut that doesn't exist. Apple is big ol' fibber and we're just stupid sheeple if we actually want an iPad Mini after reading AnandTech's review.
  • Reply 117 of 180
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    This was a review and it was noted that the display has the same narrow color gamut as the non retina display on the previous Mini. I don't care what Samsung, Amazon or anyone else does, I don't buy their products. I have even said in my previous posts to others that if you take every other company out of the loop the Mini should at least have the same color accuracy as the Air. 

Apple is charging an premium for the upgraded display yet it still has a fairly major flaw. Most consumers won't care or won't notice, however we already know that members of this forum know more than most consumers. 

It's a valid topic to debate, it's also valid to debate if it's something that Apple should address. 

Apple is charging more for the new mini because of of the new higher density battery, the new processor, the tooling change for the case, the high density screen, and for who knows what else. You don't know if we overpaying, which is what you are suggesting. I and others have made the point that it is technologically impossible for them to have made a full-gamut screen without compromising the form factors, weight, size and battery life. Address those directly instead of making limp assertions about "premium" prices.

They will address it in the future when they have power-saving displays available, you can be sure of that.
  • Reply 118 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The fun part is that if some $79 whitebox tablet running Android 2.3 had shitty gamut, Anandtech wouldn't have a story. It's only fun to dig dirt on Apple.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

It doesn't have a "shitty" gamut. The gamut is just not QUITE as high as that of the iPad Air, in a way that not a single consumer would notice, nor a single reviewer without scientific testing. Every single hands-on/review has said the screen looks just as good as that of the Air's. But nice use of subtlety there. 

It doesn't have a shitty gamut or a higher or lower gamut, because one cannot describe a gamut as such. Similarly, you can be skinny or fat but you don't have a shitty weight, or a higher weight.

If you want to comment as if you know better, please learn to know better first. Thank you. :)

• Reply 119 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Apple is charging more for the new mini because of of the new higher density battery, the new processor, the tooling change for the case, the high density screen, and for who knows what else. 

Higher density battery? Most definitely no. In fact, evidence suggests the battery is notably larger (commensurate with more juice).

• Reply 120 of 180
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    ireland wrote: »
    And you know this for a fact? Keep in mind the thickness of the Air.

The Air may be IGZO.