Samsung Galaxy Gear smart watch sells 800,000 units in 2 months [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 115
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

What a horrible, horrendous product that deserved to epically fail. But hey, they were "first", and that's all that matters, right? When Apple actually releases a wearable device done right, everyone will crow about how they copied Samsung or something. 

Oh, and I have yet to witness a single person wearing any of these smart-watches in real life. The space is still ripe for the taking. Apple should take its sweet time getting it right, there's no hurry as everything out there is still a fail. 

• Reply 22 of 115
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    I love how the article ends saying Samsung is planning to ship massive numbers of tablets.

How many watches did they ship? Massive numbers probably.

They just couldn't sell any.
  • Reply 23 of 115
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

I know someone who got this.

It was comical watching him fumbling around trying to do simple things.

I still believe Apple will do it right and make it intuitive.

If you are wearing a smart watch I'd say the only intuitive thing to to is to remove the watch and put it in a drawer. Apple will NOT make  a watch that is nothing more than an extension to what is already in your pocket. There is nothing very intuitive about looking at your wrist (awkward angle) to read an email, or whatever. If a wrist band of some sort (maybe not even around the wrist) can read a number of vital signals from the body - blood pressure, blood sugar, heart rate, etc, then everything changes. 

• Reply 24 of 115
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

To put this in comparison, Does anyone know how many Fuelband Nike sold, it interfaces with the phone and it tell time as well. I bet they sold more than Samsung in the same amount of time.

Also, does anyone know the market size for watches, let hope it does not include sun dials and such, we do not want to over state the market size do we.

EDIT: answer to one of my questions, the below information is from a company that does follows watches and stuff and this report was last published in 2006. They use to publish the ever 2 yrs since 1995. so been 6 yrs since the last report, do you think it a market worth getting into. You think Apple was a chunk or all of $7.1B.

Quote:

Modern watches and clocks offer the style, the function, the gadgetry, or the mark of status, to suit any man, woman or child. The $7.1 billion market also offers big opportunities for any marketer, from the huge multinational, to the tiny basement operation. Yet this same market is difficult to navigate, because it is highly fragmented, with lots of competitors; sales through every channel from department stores to jewelry stores to hardware stores; and pressure from rival time-telling devices such as cellphones and PDAs. ...

• Reply 25 of 115

We are Samsung.

We have no clue until Apple shows us how to.

We did it just to show the world "hey, me too"

Pathetic bastards. Only know how to duplicate other's designs.

• Reply 26 of 115
    In all fairness, the smart watch is a tough nut to crack. That a major company is even trying with a big push is hopeful news to those of us who have wanted one for a long time. I'm glad there are those of you out there who don't want such a thing, but there are many of us who do. Being able to check notifications and control certain phone functionality without having to pull a phone out of our pocket, bag, or suitcase, such as at a meeting, dinner, etc where such a gesture would be cumbersome or disruptive.

It's pretty clear after the iPod nano watch phenomenon that Apple users are interested in the same thing, so why all the negativity?
  • Reply 27 of 115

Watches and glasses are not where the market will be with "wearable computing".   The big breakthrough will be when the Android tin foil hat is released.  And the Google Beanie with cloud-source controlled spinning propeller.  

• Reply 28 of 115
    Quote by sflocal View Post:

...Samsung has proven without doubt that without Apple leading the way, they are about as innovative as pond-scum.

ROFL  :)

Quote:

I'd be that they have 99 prototypes for every 100 than never see the light of day.  

Huh?  I think I know what you mean....

• Reply 29 of 115
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Who needs or wants a watch? That's akin to a woman's corset.
  • Reply 30 of 115
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Okay I now see why Samsung went after this market they must have read this headline from an analysis in 2011, this is after watch sales have been declining since 2008. It appear luxury models are growing again thus the price point Samsung set.

Quote:

Global Watches Market to Reach $46.65 Billion and Clocks Market to Reach $5.42 Billion by 2017, According to a New Report by Global Industry Analysts, Inc.

GIA announces the release of a comprehensive global report on Watches and Clocks market. Although tempered by the recent economic recession, the global market for watches is projected to reach $46.65 billion, while the global clocks market is projected to reach $5.42 billion by the year 2017. Growth in the watches and clocks market over the next few years will be primarily driven by resurgence in demand for luxury watches, growing popularity of fashionable and innovative models and robust demand from developing markets, particularly Asia-Pacific.

• Reply 31 of 115
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    In all fairness, Sammy has 100% of the shitty smart watch market. I'm not saying the market is shitty, just Sammy's attempt.
  • Reply 32 of 115
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member
    Hey Sammy, how bout a 6" curved smart watch? Huh?
  • Reply 33 of 115

this is why I've been scratching my head wondering why apple and others want to get into watches. The reason why less people are wearing watches is because all the info they need is on their smartphone. what will a watch have that my phone won't. No need to buy a watch. This could be a big dud for apple like ping

• Reply 34 of 115
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Later next year once Apple releases the real thing with a curved glass wrap around design which will sell in the millions Samsung will copy it and another lawsuit starts with before and after iWatch slides for the jury to ignore just like the iPhone before after pictures.
  • Reply 35 of 115
    Lol. This must surely have come as a surprise to media outlets like CNBC, which alone covered it in breathless detail -- with the obligatory 'Apple was beaten to the punch by Samsung, and has lost its ability to innovate' -- at least 50,000 times! :lol:
  • Reply 36 of 115
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Huh?  I think I know what you mean....

Fixed it.  Damn auto-correct. :)

• Reply 37 of 115
    "plans to ship 100 million tablets in 2014"

So one of each model then.
  • Reply 38 of 115
    thedbathedba Posts: 762member

I think this 50000 sold figure is way out. I'm pretty sure that many of these were bundled into special deals, like buy a Note 3 and get a Gear for that much off or even for free.

Either way, WAY TO GO SAMSUNG

• Reply 39 of 115
    thedbathedba Posts: 762member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

"plans to ship 100 million tablets in 2014"

So one of each model then.

Oh they will ship a lot I'm sure. Like in, buy a Samsung flatscreen TV and get this POS Galaxy Tab for free, kind of shipping­.

• Reply 40 of 115
    gtr wrote: »
    I hear the next version will have 20% more fugly.

'Screw' that!