Google to pay $17M settlement for bypassing Apple's Safari security settings

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

Couch cushion change. Pointless.

• Reply 22 of 42

We should start a class action lawsuit against those evil merchants in Mountain View. Google is just plain evil.

• Reply 23 of 42
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Hey, Google is going to give everyone more information about cookies for the next five years. Be Happy!
    That sounds analogous to a convicted burglar telling me he still going to break into my home again, only this time he's going to tell which door he's are going to break down so I can try to put better locks on it. I'm so happy!
  • Reply 24 of 42
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    What is Google's problem? Google just reminds me of a bunch of immature kids that have NO business sense. I think each employee of Google has to go through an business ethics course and be tested and monitored. I think this "Free for All" attitude of theirs just gets them into more trouble.

Thankfully, I don't have their OS.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    Saying tracking information which is then used to feed you personalised advertising isn't personal information is stretching it a bit...
  • Reply 26 of 42
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    I trust Google to protect my privacy like I trust an insurance company to protect my health.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Good. . Whether really by accident or purposefully it shouldn't have happened. Personally I think that even if it started out as a surprise I doubt it took Google long to recognize what the result was. They shoulda put a stop to it long before they did. Now time to settle it, move on and do better.

Guess what, they're still putting tracking cookies without the user's consent. I have Little Snitch and have been playing this "cat & mouse" game for quite some time. I don't even use Google search and run with my cookies off until absolutely necessary. I have changed the permissions on the local storage folder but they now put their stuff into the cache.

Flash puts their cookies somewhere on my system even when Click-to-Flash is not clicked. I know because I use KFC but the cookies are written back as soon as I open Safari. Most Internet users don't realize what's going on in the background. We need better privacy protections. AI is one of the worst tracking offenders.

• Reply 28 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I use a little program called littlesnitch, and you would be surprised about all the things Google is doing behind the scene of your computer.

If you're not using the Ghostery browser plugin, you may want to try it.  Very eye opening.  For example, there are seven trackers on this page.

• Reply 29 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Somewhat unrelated:

1. How does zeobit.com (or however you spell it) bypass 'block cookies always' in Safari?

2. How does TPB bypass 'block popups' in Safari?

3. Why when I sometimes delete a cookie (eg zeobit) in Safari prefs does it literally 1 second later reappear before by eyes and require an additional subsequent deletion to be gone?

These are ongoing issues with Safari that I think need to seriously be addressed.

It's being rewritten by Abode's Flash even if you're not using it. See my other post here.

• Reply 30 of 42
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As part of a settlement announcement on Monday, Google has agreed to pay out $17 million to 37 U.S. states...

My that's good of them, to pay out a little pocket change and avoid sanctions from the FTC.

• Reply 31 of 42
    Originally Posted by FBaker View Post

For example, there are seven trackers on this page.

Speaking of AI doing things related to ads, does anyone see some of the words in their posts turning green with a blue line underneath? Or whatever it is; I’m not on the computer that did it right now.

When I saw that, it reminded me of those sites that throw ads on hover states in words of articles, which is, in my mind, the third sickest, most pathetic form of visual advertising available to the Internet right now. Is that what those are? If so, I’m glad the combination of whatever blockers I’m using here stops them.

• Reply 32 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FBaker View Post

If you're not using the Ghostery browser plugin, you may want to try it.  Very eye opening.  For example, there are seven trackers on this page.

I'm using DNT+ and LS and yes there are 7 trackers on this forum page and that's down from 14 before Safari added more protection. All the Mac sites are making big $$ on us.

• Reply 33 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Not about the amount. It’s about the bragging rights to call Google “evil.” 

Evil and profitable companies don't care about bragging rights

• Reply 34 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

The Google groupie has spoken.

I say dig deeper into Google other business activities, see what we find, and fine harder.

They have nothing to fear if they're innocent, right?

I suspect you are on the right track.  Google is in the business of collecting data - they essentially give their products away, and make money off of information the products deliver to them.  Were they "found out" because this was the only time they have violated privacy or because they didn't handle it as well as they usually do.  It looks like there model is to control devices in every aspect of our lives as they can, to record what we are doing.

I'm not saying it's nefarious in nature, and it may only be used for ad business - but, we shouldn't be surprised when abuses are discovered, nor stunned if they use the data at our expense.

• Reply 35 of 42
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Oh Google. Time to sell more user privacy...
  • Reply 36 of 42
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    17million is a fraction of the cost of doing business. Google will keep doing this. The government shouldve made them pay a billion dollars. I guarantee the unlawful behavior would stop.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

The government shouldve made them pay a billion dollars. I guarantee the unlawful behavior would stop.

Really? Samsung didn’t.

• Reply 38 of 42
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Really? Samsung didn’t.
    Nope. Secondly we are talking about Google.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    Great news for the state. Where's my cut for my info being violated? Doubt any of us will see anything. Greedy politicians.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    "We work hard to get privacy right at Google.

Oh right, please talk us through checking all incoming and outgoing googlemail emails so you can target adverts.
    Doesn't sound all that private.