Appellate court breathes new life into Apple's quest for Samsung Android device ban

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    Originally Posted by Allan Taylor

[post]

Correct response:

• Reply 22 of 41
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    maestro64 wrote: »
    I am not sure why so many people are having a hard time understanding this. Yes Apple has patents on various design pieces as well as the whole trade dress and such.

Look at this way, image Kia copying the Chevy Corvette exactly by making it out cheap plastic verses Aluminum and Fiberglass  and selling in the US market for 1/2 of what what Chevy sells the Corvette. Do you really think that the Kia Corvette would be on the market all that long. They could be completely shut down. 

I pick Kia since they tend to copy other car manufactures looks, but on more basic cars they have not attempt yet to copy something like a Corvette. Their Mini Van looks like the Ford Windstar, but I suspect Ford allowed them to copy the design.

Anyway, I am not sure why it is okay to copy electronics but it would not be okay to copy a car like a Corvette. I am not sure every piece of how the Corvette works and feels is covered under patents.

The US Appeals Court remanded only on the utility patents. They agreed with Judge Koh that injunctions for the design patents wouldn't be proper so her original ruling denying those stands. Covered in the article for those confused by the many claims and rulings.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Wow. I'll believe this when I hear from FOSS Patents

Please don't confuse the issue.

FOSS patents are required to make the phone function -- companies push to have their tech included in FOSS so that everyone licenses them, and in exchange, they keep the price low and fair. Some companies were using FOSS to extract IP from Apple.

Apple's complaint with SAMSUNG has nothing, absolutely nothing to do with FOSS.

• Reply 24 of 41
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Please. Visit Korea and your eyes will be opened.

If she has any relatives in Korea I would question her judgement.  Samsung is the Corleone Family in the Godfather x1000.  Hell their CEO is a two time convicted FELON who was pardoned twice by the President of Korea.

I don't blame her either.  They could make her families life in Korea a living hell with a snap of a finger.

Yeah, I don't get all the American's with their "new love" for Samsung merely because it's not Apple. They treat Apple as either "prima donnas who pretend to patent and do nothing but sue" or as some sort of step child of Microsoft's business practices. Apple is very protective of their IP -- but that's because they were very passive and almost lost the store to Microsoft who ripped off their entire concept and system while they were developing apps for Apple. My urge to gag will have to be constrained by the usual ignorant reference to Xerox Parc, as if Apple didn't pay to visit and diverged GREATLY from the designs, and implementation of those ideas they witnessed.

They take a few FORBES sourced stories about Apple using "Chinese sweatshops" -- without context of absolutely everyone else using these same companies.

Then champion Samsung, who won't be bringing jobs to the USA, has always used sweat shops, has always "copied" as a form of complement. Without any appreciation of what a bottom feeder they are.

tl;dnr

Apple has been aggressive -- they are not acting like a patent troll or stealing IP.

Apple is an actual innovator -- saying they aren't is just being ignorant.

Samsung is not a good behaving company by any stretch.

Samsung winning is not in our best interest, even if we don't like Apple.

• Reply 25 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fake_William_Shatner View Post

Please don't confuse the issue.

FOSS patents are required to make the phone function -- companies push to have their tech included in FOSS so that everyone licenses them, and in exchange, they keep the price low and fair. Some companies were using FOSS to extract IP from Apple.

Apple's complaint with SAMSUNG has nothing, absolutely nothing to do with FOSS.

I believe the post was referring to;

http://www.fosspatents.com/

It was mentioned in the article.

• Reply 26 of 41
    Originally Posted by Fake_William_Shatner View Post

Please don’t confuse the issue.

Irony much? You’re thinking of FRAND. FOSS is some guy with a website.

• Reply 27 of 41
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

So what are you waiting for?  Click on the supplied link (the blue text "according to") in the story.

• Reply 28 of 41
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Irony much? You’re thinking of FRAND. FOSS is some guy with a website.

FOSS refers to something Mueller used to be committed to before he found he could make more money by blogging in support of those who don't believe in it and would rather it disappeared. So now rather than fight Microsoft as he did for years and years he counts them as a client. You'll never hear another Florian peep of displeasure with them now.

Anyway FOSS is an acronym meaning "Free or Open Source Software". A FOSS program is one that is freely licensed for individual, and even commercial use in some cases. Users can modify it, distribute it and use it for pretty much any purpose.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    sog35 wrote: »

If she has any relatives in Korea I would question her judgement.  Samsung is the Corleone Family in the Godfather x1000.  Hell their CEO is a two time convicted FELON who was pardoned twice by the President of Korea.

I don't blame her either.  They could make her families life in Korea a living hell with a snap of a finger.

For once I agree with TS. As someone who had lived in Korea and not just visited there, your assertion that an American born judge who may have Korean relatives can't make impartial judgements is uninformed and offensive.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    bulk001 wrote: »
    As someone who had lived in Korea and not just visited there, your assertion that an American born judge who may have Korean relatives can't make impartial judgements is uninformed and offensive.

Yeah, he needs to put a sog in it.
  • Reply 31 of 41
    Mr. Mueller believes an injection is highly likely!
  • Reply 32 of 41
    Quote:

Precisely. ANY story presented here is subject to closer scrutiny thanks to their history of misreporting.

This bit from the FOSS Patents site is interesting (emphasis mine):

Quote:

"We find no reason to dislodge the district court's conclusion that Apple failed to demonstrate irreparable harm from Samsung’s infringement of its design patents. Accordingly, we affirm the denial of injunctive relief with respect to those patents. However, with respect to Apple's utility patents, we conclude that the district court abused its discretion in its analysis and consequently remand for further proceedings."

• Reply 33 of 41
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    crosslad wrote: »
    It's not just Samsung that Apple should go after, it is all Android devices.

Well why would you go after someone that hasn't made a profit? They'll be a negative award which means you'll owe them money :lol:
  • Reply 34 of 41
    dnd0psdnd0ps Posts: 253member
    Sammy forgot to bribe somebody
  • Reply 35 of 41
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    (Deleted)
  • Reply 36 of 41
    Time for Sammy to pay real Apple Tax!
  • Reply 37 of 41

?Until the court agrees to impose an embargo on the latest "colorably different" Samsung devices, the ruling would be almost useless. Let's see what happens.

• Reply 38 of 41
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I am not sure why so many people are having a hard time understanding this. Yes Apple has patents on various design pieces as well as the whole trade dress and such.

Look at this way, image Kia copying the Chevy Corvette exactly by making it out cheap plastic verses Aluminum and Fiberglass  and selling in the US market for 1/2 of what what Chevy sells the Corvette. Do you really think that the Kia Corvette would be on the market all that long. They could be completely shut down. 

I pick Kia since they tend to copy other car manufactures looks, but on more basic cars they have not attempt yet to copy something like a Corvette. Their Mini Van looks like the Ford Windstar, but I suspect Ford allowed them to copy the design.

Anyway, I am not sure why it is okay to copy electronics but it would not be okay to copy a car like a Corvette. I am not sure every piece of how the Corvette works and feels is covered under patents.

Kia don't "copy" as you put it, they have agreements with other manufacturers to use their old/current designs. many companies do this in the motor industry. Proton have a car based 100% on the Mitubishi Lancer, they even make a proton version of the Evo X! Mazda in the UK released a car that was identical to the Ford Fiesta in all but the badges. Daewoo have several "clone" cars too. It's not just the small asian manufacturers tho, sometimes the big players share designs to save money too, the Vauxhall/Opel (GM) Agila is identical to the Suzuki Wagon R. Even just this/last year Subaru and Toyota jointly released a roadster, only the badges and a few exterior tweaks separated them, same engine etc. Last one for ya... Toyota Aygo (£8995) vs Aston Martin Cygnet (£44000!), essentially the same car 'cept for a few high end cosmetic tweaks on the aston version ;).

• Reply 39 of 41
    sog35 wrote: »

Dude. Just admit you made a mistake and move on. It's not like you are a troll here.
  • Reply 40 of 41
    bulk001 wrote: »
    For once I agree with TS.

"This could be the start of a beautiful friendship"!