Ship times for iPhone 5s improve to 3-5 days for all models

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The Online Apple Store is now quoting estimated U.S. ship times for all iPhone 5s models at three to five days, a marked improvement from only one week ago, signaling the company is making strides to catch up with demand.

iPhone 5s

According to Apple's digital storefront, the popular flagship iPhone is available for shipment within a week in the U.S. and other countries, even the hot-selling gold version.

The iPhone 5s saw brisk sales after the device launched in September, with certain models saw ship times slip to seven to ten business days after being on sale for mere hours. At the time, supply of the gold model was most constrained with ship dates falling to October.

At launch, Apple reportedly faced trouble with low production yields of its new Touch ID fingerprint sensor, which is still only incorporated in the company's iPhone 5s. The lack of supply culminated in a sellout of initial stock in under two days.

In mid-October, Apple began quoting ship-by dates of two to three weeks, a number that improved to one to two weeks earlier this month.

While the iPhone 5s has proven to be quite popular, the same cannot be said of the iPhone 5c. According to a report on Monday, Foxconn will be halting production of the 5c at one of its large factories in Zhengzhou, China, and will instead focus on the iPhone 5s. Foxconn is responsible for 30 percent of all iPhone 5c production, with Apple manufacturing partner Pegatron picking up the bulk of orders.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Galaxy Note is better. :rolleyes:

Its either weak demand or maybe they have so many players building Apple products now....
  • Reply 2 of 20

Must be nobody is buying this. Better start saying how Tim should be fired, how Apple is doomed, etc, etc. Apple isn't the same without Steve. 

• Reply 3 of 20
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Galaxy Note is better. image

Its either weak demand or maybe they have so many players building Apple products now....

I think it's probably weak demand. 

• Reply 4 of 20

Or you could just walk into most AT&T or Best Buy stores and pick one up right now, and not wait 3-5 days for shipping.

• Reply 5 of 20

Poor availability isn't good for smartphones any longer.   My lady and I will be getting our 5s soon and i'm glad to see production has caught up to demand.   I'm no longer into scrambling to buy a device.  

• Reply 6 of 20

I can't say I'm surprised that the 5C hasn't proven popular. Outside of the USA, the 5C is so pricey that if you can afford it you can definitely afford the extra cost to get a 5S, so people are just picking the better model instead.

• Reply 7 of 20
    Resolved fingerprint scanner production issues
  • Reply 8 of 20

Still waiting for the unlocked version...

*crickets*

• Reply 9 of 20

*crickets*

Then you're trying to buy it in the wrong country. Most are unlocked over here in Europe. Hop on a plane and get one.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    xamaxxamax Posts: 135member
    Not for the Portuguese Online Apple Store which still presents 1-2 weeks ETD for silver and space gray and 2-3 weeks for Gold (really!) - just checked http://store.apple.com/pt/buy-iphone/iphone5s

:-(

Btw, I just experimented extensively with an iPhone 5C and it's a wowsome phone, just feels right in the hand with a good grip, very light, fast. If one dislikes the colors white is the option. I'll go with 5S for the extra 32GB (total 64) and the camera, I want to entirely ditch the Panasonic TMZ3 camera and get the best possible camera. Also the fingerprint scanner seems interesting but not a decisive factor.

I was really surprised with the professional feel of the 5C, it doesn't match the toy look the colors lend to it! An engineering marvel and a high profit generator for Apple - it'll be next years low cost iPhone when they add the bigger screen - they're bound to, no doubt, it's just a matter of time.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post

I can't say I'm surprised that the 5C hasn't proven popular. Outside of the USA, the 5C is so pricey that if you can afford it you can definitely afford the extra cost to get a 5S, so people are just picking the better model instead.

If so, what's wrong with that?

• Reply 12 of 20
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member

UK, Austria and Germany: 1-2 weeks... No change.

Most smaller EU markets got only sample-like quantities. Again, no change. There won't be normal delivery until next year, this is for sure.

• Reply 13 of 20
    xamaxxamax Posts: 135member
    poksi wrote: »
    UK, Austria and Germany: 1-2 weeks... No change.

Most smaller EU markets got only sample-like quantities. Again, no change. There won't be normal delivery until next year, this is for sure.

Yeah and they make us pay more for it as well. I wonder why is it that for instance the Australia store also has got 3-5 business days deliver and cheaper prices. If I'd buy both the 64GB 5S and the 128GB WiFi+Cellular there, I'd save €250+!

Apple has always considered the rest of the world as pretty much something to neglect but, now that they finally decided to come out of the cocoon, why do they keep treating their rich cousin Europe like some third world country?! And really, who in a globalized world considers countries 1st, 2nd and 3rd world/tier? That's a rather obsolete management take - it's like they don't really care much for selling, leaving Brazil, India, Russia and others with crumbs and disproportionate pricing, giving way to speculation. It's crazy, a shot in the foot, really. Too much belly gazing, I say.

And alongside this comes the really sober marketing, letting Brazil, Europe and other places to Crackdroids just because the common folk either doesn't have any knowledge about Apple, doesn't see them anywhere or sees them as expensive and not really worth it - there's simply little to no advertising.

Now same-sung knows better than that. They may be lousy in supply chain management, etc etc but this simple thing they get.

I never saw a HP computer to be more expensive in Portugal than anywhere else in the world and they had/have excellent tech support reputation.

So, what gives Apple? If it was greed then you should better manage the marketing and pricing in these huge markets! You really need to wake up and do a better job at this. Besides that great self-sabotage that costs Apple gazillions of dollars it'll never know could be earned, all is fine and getting better every day...
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:

Originally Posted by poksi View Post

If so, what's wrong with that?

16GB unlocked prices converted into dollars:

US: 5C, $549.   5S, $649.

UK: 5C, $755.   5S, $884.

Germany: 5C, $810.   5S, $945.

Someone who can afford to spend $810 on a 5C is much more likely to be able to add the extra $135 to get a 5S, because they clearly have much more disposable income. In contrast, spending $549 on a phone is an option available to far more people - and a greater proportion of these people will have a lower amount of disposable income with which to upgrade. 

Apple don't need to release a "cheap" device. They just need to get rid of the ludicrous 40%+ price increases in Europe, and their popularity will go through the roof even more so than it already is. Would I pay £500 for a 5C? Hell no. But cut it down to £350 (which is the US price), and it's a hell of a lot more likely that I'd look at it, or the 5S which would be a mere £50 more.

• Reply 15 of 20
    Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post

Available since launch… :???:

• Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post

16GB unlocked prices converted into dollars:

US: 5C, $549.   5S, $649.

UK: 5C, $755.   5S, $884.

Germany: 5C, $810.   5S, $945.

Someone who can afford to spend $810 on a 5C is much more likely to be able to add the extra $135 to get a 5S, because they clearly have much more disposable income. In contrast, spending $549 on a phone is an option available to far more people - and a greater proportion of these people will have a lower amount of disposable income with which to upgrade. 

Apple don't need to release a "cheap" device. They just need to get rid of the ludicrous 40%+ price increases in Europe, and their popularity will go through the roof even more so than it already is. Would I pay £500 for a 5C? Hell no. But cut it down to £350 (which is the US price), and it's a hell of a lot more likely that I'd look at it, or the 5S which would be a mere £50 more.

Are there V.A.T. charges included?    That's what it says on the web site, Includes V.A.T., and whatever taxes apply.  Our prices don't include taxes, you pay that extra if the State you live in has Sales Taxes.

The countries are OBVIOUSLY taxed differently is the where I see a major difference.

Well, then move to the US and not get pay V.A.T., etc.  I can't help it if your country's taxes the crap out of products being imported into your country.

• Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

5C ship 24 hours - no demand

5S ship 2-3 weeks - supply constraints

5S ship in 3 days - no demand

Galaxy gear ships 80k - wow!!!!!

FU media. FU.

No Demand?  No, it means they are making them to meet the demand.  If they had no demand, then they wouldn't be STILL making the product. Pegatron makes plenty of the 5C's, just not as desirable as the 5S. The 5S is selling quite well where they don't have to start bundling other products and doing heavy discounts.  Samsung is bundling products to get people to buy their products or they are heavily discounting them.

I just looked on Amazon and there are almost as many USED S4's as there are new ones offered for sale.

• Reply 18 of 20
    Unlocked - me too. I know T-Mobile gets unlocked after 41 days (if you ask) but I'm traveling in 2 weeks.

I guess I'll have to stay with the 5 :(
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Originally Posted by plovell View Post

Unlocked - me too. I know T-Mobile gets unlocked after 41 days (if you ask) but I'm traveling in 2 weeks.

It’s unlocked by default…