mp3 vs. mp4 vs. ogg

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Just wondering what everythinks is the best format for encoding audio. What are the pros/cons of each format? Personally, I like the small file sizes you get from mp4 and ogg but iTunes visualizer doesn't work with mp4 nor are tags automatically supported.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    since i have cable and mostly download full concerts, i'm inclined to shorten (shn)...from what i hear its a loseless compression scheme, and let me tell u, its smaller then waves but sounds just as good. they are significantly biger then mp3's whatnot but the quality is CD
  • Reply 2 of 5
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Isn't it lame how behind Apple is with MP4? No one is adopting it, this is bad.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Aquatic:

<strong>Isn't it lame how behind Apple is with MP4? No one is adopting it, this is bad.</strong><hr></blockquote>

it is my understanding that MP4 does not support ID3 tags so what good is it if you cant organize it?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    You can edit mp4 tags in iTunes but it is not done automically making it a ginormous pain in the arse. I guess people aren't using mp4 because it's not an option you can select in itunes. Maybe if Apple made encoding in mp4 an option in the next iTunes release people would start using it.

[ 01-20-2003: Message edited by: InactionMan ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 5
    another issue is that encoding aac audio is signifgantly longer than mp3 encoding