Rumor: Supplier now building 12.9-inch Apple iPad displays for early 2014 launch

Comments

• Reply 21 of 121
    Apple should not forget the segment that has always been faithful...the creative types. That being said, an iPad "pro" would be a nod I that direction. Echoing, with sincerity, what others are wishing out loud for: on the hardware side: big processor boost; substantial ram; maybe, just maybe, a SD/micro SD slot...on the iOS side: a more practical file management system; a less cumbersome inter-app transfer pathway (really, for these iOS based visions, just take note of what time tested operations in terms of desktop based OS approaches are no-brainers)...these would be the critical requests for a pro model. Come on Apple, get ballsy, slap the competition upside their collective heads. I certainly can see blasting out self-produced music on one of these hypothetical babies. iOS SHOULD clearly merge the best of what makes a desktop computer the ultimate goto device for final production. I need total recall of soft synths and projects as Logic does on a future iOS environment...there will be a desktop replacement in the near future, there will be a merging of both worlds in which Apple has spent years perfecting!
  • Reply 22 of 121
    Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

An iPad Mini for traveling and out & about and 12.9" iPad for the couch or making one on one presentations. I really hope this rumor is true.

The iPad Mini replaces (mostly) a $1,500 MBA/MBP and the 12.9" replaces the home $2,000 iMac desktop (again, mostly!)

These with an 5s, an ATV, and a TimeCapsule and I'm good! :)

Best

I'm trying to grok the 12.9 iPad 'for the couch' or 1on1 presentations...  

Personally, I think Apple is driving for 3 jobs for it's iOS devices with crossover points

1) on the go portability (one hand)   - iphone/ipad mini

2) personal productivity (one person) - ipad mini, ipad air, ipad 13

3) professional productivity (think Doctor, Designer), iPad Air, iPad 13

The Mac Line still does a different job (multi-task professional).   It's the 'connection workhorse'

I truly think the appleTV will become effectively a 'server' that an 'app' on an above device will control.

And the TimeCapsule will become 'iCloud Local'  controlling local syncing, caching stuff for upstream and downstream.   As IPV6 gets onto the Internet backbone... I wouldn't be surprised that Bonjour will be hardened keep your local storage always online.... and allow people to control what they truly put in the cloud, and what they want to access over the internet (Every home is part of the server farm in Apple's Cloud).

• Reply 23 of 121
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

2. How do you hold a 13" iPad?

With your hands.

• Reply 24 of 121
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    A 12.9 inch iPad - finally a fit replacement for my heavy paper magazines! I'm all for this, looking forward to it - if it's true that is.
  • Reply 25 of 121

This could be a ploy like the 'iWatch' to get others (cough, samsung, cough) to rush something to market?

I always thought a 'legal pad' would be useful but I have no idea what the market is for it. I can see health inspectors using them instead of hard copies since just about everyone has an eMail addy now. A hard copy could always be mailed out for probably the same price as printing one.

A larger touch screen for work stuff would be nice, but isn't mandatory. Particularly if you want to run two apps side x side I suppose. The thing is, it's not real portable at that size because it's gotta be about 2#. Unless there's a magic dock/stand coming with it, maybe induction charging? Also, is that gonna be a 4k screen?

This might be fun to watch :)

• Reply 26 of 121
    "%uF8FF" was supposed to be the Apple logo.
  • Reply 27 of 121
    This could be a ploy like the 'iWatch' to get others (cough, samsung, cough) to rush something to market?

I always thought a 'legal pad' would be useful but I have no idea what the market is for it. I can see health inspectors using them instead of hard copies since just about everyone has an eMail addy now. A hard copy could always be mailed out for probably the same price as printing one.

A larger touch screen for work stuff would be nice, but isn't mandatory. Particularly if you want to run two apps side x side I suppose. The thing is, it's not real portable at that size because it's gotta be about 2#. Unless there's a magic dock/stand coming with it, maybe induction charging? Also, is that gonna be a 4k screen?

This might be fun to watch :)

I think a 13" display gets people thinking about the iPad as a PC replacement. The size is almost kind of psychological. Pro suites often have lots of UI elements, so having the larger screen for people who really live in productivity and creation apps is important. Also, among the many things iPad is eating away at is television. TV shows, movies, games... They all love bigger screens. I hope this thing is really light.
  • Reply 28 of 121
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    With your hands.

Yes, and you can hold a bucket of sand with your hands too, but it's not a pleasant experience. This thing will be too big and too heavy. Not happening. If Apple does release a 13" iOS device it won't be designed to be held in your hands; it won't be an iPad Pro.
  • Reply 29 of 121
    Unless there's a magic dock/stand coming with it, maybe induction charging?

Please elaborate your points here? What's a magic stand? And why would this device have induction charging when the iPad Air doesn't, and yet it's battery would be smaller?
  • Reply 30 of 121
    I think a 13" display gets people thinking about the iPad as a PC replacement. The size is almost kind of psychological. Pro suites often have lots of UI elements, so having the larger screen for people who really live in productivity and creation apps is important.

I don't know about that. I see laptop or desktop as way more useful/productive than a 13" iPad, and it loses one of the main advantages of an iPad over a MacBook Air: amazing portability. I'm not seeing a 13" iPad from Apple. As it is they are trying desperately to make the 10" iPad much smaller and lighter.
  • Reply 31 of 121
    Quote:

Yes, and you can hold a bucket of sand with your hands too, but it's not a pleasant experience. This thing will be too big and too heavy. Not happening. If Apple does release a 13" iOS device it won't be designed to be held in your hands; it won't be an iPad Pro.

The first gen iPad came in at a honking 1.5 lbs. The current iPad Air is 1 lb. That's a 33.5% cut in weight.

There is nothing to make me believe that Apple couldn't build a 13" device that weighs the same as the iPad v1.

My Wife has held her v1 just fine for over 3 years now.

• Reply 32 of 121
    My guess is that Apple is standardizing on 326 PPI displays. If this is right, then this should be a 2,520 x 3,360 display.

I'm also guessing that the next iPad Air will be a 1,920 x 2,560 display at 9.8" diagonal.
  • Reply 33 of 121
    Quote:

I don't know about that. I see laptop or desktop as way more useful/productive than a 13" iPad, and it loses one of the main advantages of an iPad over a MacBook Air: amazing portability. I'm not seeing a 13" iPad from Apple. As it is they are trying desperately to make the 10" iPad much smaller and lighter.

My thoughts exactly. They need a bigger iphone a lot more than a bigger iPad.

• Reply 34 of 121
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    kpom wrote: »
    My guess is iOS. Think about it. Mac OS, including OS X has been a niche OS for decades. iOS is the #2 mobile OS overall, close to #1 in the US, and accounts for more than half of mobile profits and mobile app downloads. There's a reason Apple was first to introduce a 64-bit ARM processor and 64-bit mobile OS. They see it as the future of computing and want to secure their place in it. It's also why they ported the iOS versions of iWork over to Mac rather than the other way around. They want to promote iOS as the future, and Macs will be "dragged along" to further interoperability.

Microsoft prefers the opposite approach, which makes sense since Windows is by far the dominant desktop OS. Hence the whole drive to push a single Windows 8.1 for desktops, notebooks, and mobile devices.

The wild card here is Google. Android is the dominant mobile OS, but Google's control over it is tenuous. Chrome is fully within Google's control, but it doesn't have the same market penetration. Logically, I see Chrome and Android converging over time, but don't know whether Google will build up Chrome so that it replaces Android, or keep the two separate, but converged, much like iOS and OS X. I think Google would prefer the former but am not sure they can get there.
    OK I guess I don't see the point of current iOS on a 13" tablet. Now if Apple is working to differentiate iOS on the iPad and we see new features/functionality then maybe it makes sense, but iOS 7 in its current state doesn't make sense on a larger screen IMO.
  • Reply 35 of 121
    Quote:

A new 13" pro would probably be no heavier than the original iPad, which I have and my arms haven't fallen off yet.

• Reply 36 of 121
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Glasses Man View Post

Apple should not forget the segment that has always been faithful...the creative types. That being said, an iPad "pro" would be a nod I that direction. Echoing, with sincerity, what others are wishing out loud for: on the hardware side: big processor boost; substantial ram; maybe, just maybe, a SD/micro SD slot...on the iOS side: a more practical file management system; a less cumbersome inter-app transfer pathway (really, for these iOS based visions, just take note of what time tested operations in terms of desktop based OS approaches are no-brainers)...these would be the critical requests for a pro model. Come on Apple, get ballsy, slap the competition upside their collective heads. I certainly can see blasting out self-produced music on one of these hypothetical babies. iOS SHOULD clearly merge the best of what makes a desktop computer the ultimate goto device for final production. I need total recall of soft synths and projects as Logic does on a future iOS environment...there will be a desktop replacement in the near future, there will be a merging of both worlds in which Apple has spent years perfecting!

Time tested really means, the last great compromise that stuck for people who invested a lot to  understand RAID, and SAN and HyperChannel, and TRIM and... you get the picture.    Somehow Creative types really don't care about all that, at least the ones I know (and I know a few).

With all sincerity....  for 99.9999% of the target market for iOS, not one thing you ask for makes sense for Apple to do.     If apple makes any iOS device... it's got to sell in the millions a month, be absolutely rock solid stable, and not create a comets tail of 'gawd do we still have to support this?' legacy functionality.   Making iOS and/or hardware that is 'special' for a 'special class' of user puts all the other users of iOS at risk (more code = more bugs = more fixes = more complexity = slower development of new features= sucks).

• Reply 37 of 121
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

I'm trying to grok the 12.9 iPad 'for the couch' or 1on1 presentations...  

Personally, I think Apple is driving for 3 jobs for it's iOS devices with crossover points

1) on the go portability (one hand)   - iphone/ipad mini

2) personal productivity (one person) - ipad mini, ipad air, ipad 13

3) professional productivity (think Doctor, Designer), iPad Air, iPad 13

The Mac Line still does a different job (multi-task professional).   It's the 'connection workhorse'

I truly think the appleTV will become effectively a 'server' that an 'app' on an above device will control.

And the TimeCapsule will become 'iCloud Local'  controlling local syncing, caching stuff for upstream and downstream.   As IPV6 gets onto the Internet backbone... I wouldn't be surprised that Bonjour will be hardened keep your local storage always online.... and allow people to control what they truly put in the cloud, and what they want to access over the internet (Every home is part of the server farm in Apple's Cloud).

All good points.

I did forget to mention iCloud as an integral part of the mix. I also agree, with you TimeCapsule becoming "iCloud Local!" People, by and large, still don't trust the Cloud as the only storage choice for a variety of reasons, reliability,security, etc. 

My daughter is a doctor and she swears by her iPad Mini. Fits perfectly into her white coat pocket and at home she is constantly checking on her patients back at the hospital and to answer questions from the nurses and sending quick instructions to the nursing staff. She just loves it. She gave away her full-size iPad to her mother.

It would be great for ATV to be a server, too! :)

Best

• Reply 38 of 121
    joelsalt wrote: »
    A new 13" pro would probably be no heavier than the original iPad, which I have and my arms haven't fallen off yet.

'probably' not 'certainly' and even if that were true it doesn't solve the awkward problem with something of that weight+size. I'm not seeing it. I could see a mini before it arrived. I predicted the original iPad would have a 10" display (it had a 9.7") after doing several cutouts and measuring DVD cases and various books. Around 2 years before it was released I said it would be 11", but after doing my homework with the books and cutouts I modified that prediction to 10" about a year before the iPad was announced.
    I'm really not seeing a 13" iPad or iPad Pro, it seems too big to hold at this point in technology. If battery and glass had near to no physical weight that'd be different, but we're 10 - 20 years away from something like that technology.
  • Reply 39 of 121
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member

12.9" iPad?

Too big.

Too heavy.

Too awkward.

Too unbelievable.

• Reply 40 of 121
    I don't buy it (as in I don't believe it).