Apple TV update adds new channels from PBS & Yahoo Screen

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Content options on the Apple TV set-top box grew once again on Tuesday, as Apple added new channels for Yahoo Screen, as well as America's Public Broadcasting Service.

Apple TV

The new PBS channel on Apple TV gives users access to some of the network's shows, available to stream for free to their television set.

PBS is joined by Yahoo Screen, which includes content such as Saturday Night Live, The Colbert Report, and The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, as well as live news, events, music and original Yahoo programs.

Apple TV

The latest channels follow just weeks after Apple introduced the new iMovie Theater option on Apple TV, giving users the ability to view their iMovie-created content on their HDTV. Content served up by the device can be created in either iMovie for iOS or on a Mac.

Apple TV also added support for Major League Soccer and Disney Junior in an over-the-air update in September, while August saw the addition of Disney Channel and Disney XD. Other dedicated apps added throughout 2013 include Vevo, Weather Channel, Smithsonian Channel, HBO Go, WatchESPN, Sky News, CruncyRoll and Qello.

Yahoo

The Apple TV operating system was also given a minor update in October, though the hardware itself hasn't seen a significant refresh since March of 2012. That's helped to lead to speculation that Apple is working on a hardware refresh that could hit the market in the coming months.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 74
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member
    Slowly building on that media library for that big day when Apple releases a beautiful 4k 3D TV.
  • Reply 2 of 74
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member

More US only centric icons on my Apple TV, come on Apple. Either release local content or don't bother clogging up my screen with shit  I can't even use!

They need to release an App Store so that the A TV can be truly useful to non Americans!

• Reply 3 of 74
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

More US only centric icons on my Apple TV, come on Apple. Either release local content or don't bother clogging up my screen with shit  I can't even use!

They need to release an App Store so that the A TV can be truly useful to non Americans!

Change your DNS.
  • Reply 4 of 74
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    What's up with that "Activate your Apple Tv" message? I'm hoping they can come to some sort of universal login/subscription service for all the apps/channels. Right now it's a complete mishmash.
  • Reply 5 of 74

Granted, I can't watch documentaries every night, but PBS programs like Nova, Nature and Frontline to name just a few are first class! And available online! :)

I hope this is the beginning of the end for cable companies! :)

• Reply 6 of 74
    Wasn't TWC supposed to launch Thier Apple TV app this fall?

Tbs, Fox News, fox business, all have apps that let you stream if you can authenticate. I don't understand how apple just can't put those channels on their appletv
  • Reply 7 of 74
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

Quote:

Change your DNS.

Yep.

It's not Apple's fault that people live in foreign countries. And it's not Apple's fault that international licensing and distribution deals are the way that they are.

If somebody desires US content, then they can easily acquire it. When I was over in Europe this summer on vacation, I paid 5 dollars a month for a smart DNS service, and was able to access stuff like US Netflix without any issues. I didn't have any luck with HBO though.

As for these new channels, bring it on! Apple seems to be adding channels at a decent rate now, making the Apple TV better all of the time.

It would be nice if there was an option to hide the channels that you don't want though. For example, I have no use for the Disney channels, and I also don't have any annoying kids running around the house, so it would be nice to get rid of those, or at least hide them.

• Reply 8 of 74
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Apple really needs to rethink the Apple TV UI. It just doesn't work anymore. And it's really outdated I'm sure it hasn't been on the top of anyone's list at Apple but the more channels they add the more the UI seems really out of place.
  • Reply 9 of 74
    When will the onion news available on Apple TV?

;)
  • Reply 10 of 74
    [@]Apple ][[/@] if you go into parental controls and 'block' the channels you don't want to see then they will disappear. I blocked all of the Disney Channels so they are not displayed on the home screen. :-)
  • Reply 11 of 74
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ZachLach View Post

@Apple ][ if you go into parental controls and 'block' the channels you don't want to see then they will disappear. I blocked all of the Disney Channels so they are not displayed on the home screen. :-)

Great! Cool!:)

That's good to know. I've only had my Apple TV for a short time, it's good to know that the blocking option exists!

Now my Apple TV will become even better!:smokey:

• Reply 12 of 74
    I hope the Yahoo Screen channel offers full episodes of The Daily Show and Colbert.

saarek wrote: »

Don't complain about clogging up your screen when you can easily remove any unused icons.
  • Reply 13 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

Quote:

Change your DNS.

+1 this ^

I changed my aTV DNS to pickup the US version of Netflix but it flooded my aTV with new icons for Disney etc. Changing back didn't work, had to do a factory restore.

• Reply 14 of 74
    tjwal wrote: »
    Change your DNS.

That helps at your end? Mine doesn't show any of these new channels. Stock plus 4 others, Qello, Crunchsomething, NFL or something, plus...can't remember.
  • Reply 15 of 74
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

According to 9to5, the PBS app requires users to "sign in using Google+, Facebook, or the app’s registration in order to access PBS broadcasts for their location."  AI won't let me link to the 9to5 story, but it's not hard to find.

Quote:

LOL!  You can hide the icons.  :)

• Reply 16 of 74

I tried to update my first generation Apple TV and it downloaded fine and was installing ok then it stopped and the white light has been blinking all night. I can't figure out how to fix this. I have tried unplugging it but as soon as I plug in back in the light starts blinking, I even tried the hold down the menu and left button but that didn't work. So my Apple tv is just sitting there blinking it's white light.

Any ideas how I can get it working again. It is wireless off a iMac running the newest OX

• Reply 17 of 74

Yay, PBS!

• Reply 18 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by swinson View Post

I tried to update my first generation Apple TV and it downloaded fine and was installing ok then it stopped and the white light has been blinking all night. I can't figure out how to fix this. I have tried unplugging it but as soon as I plug in back in the light starts blinking, I even tried the hold down the menu and left button but that didn't work. So my Apple tv is just sitting there blinking it's white light.

Any ideas how I can get it working again. It is wireless off a iMac running the newest OX

I had something similar happen. the update got jacked during the download. I believe the "reset" on the ATV is menu and play at the same time on the remote for 30 seconds you'll see the light flash… for me it was reset the device then update to the current OS. 

• Reply 19 of 74
    When will the onion news available on Apple TV?

Yahoo Screen has several Onion clips.
  • Reply 20 of 74
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

LOL!  You can hide the icons.  :)

While this is true, it is decidedly un-Apple. For years they have resisted to clutter computers with trial- and junk ware, but everybody connecting a brand new Apple TV outside the US faces a screen flooded with inaccessible content. Clunky MS-like workarounds are not a good solution.

This is not a disaster, but inconvenient. For people having only the Apple Remote (no iOS device) managing anything on the Apple TV is troublesome enough.