Samsung announces 800K Galaxy Gear smartwatches shipped since launch [u]

Comments

• Reply 61 of 121
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"It's the most sold wearable watch available in the market place..." Samsung said.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Surely all watches are wearable, else they're called "clocks".

But again, I'm technologically illiterate image

Ok, I thought it was just me.

• Reply 62 of 121
    just_me wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    800k instead of 50k. Maybe they were using Excel?

Only Numbers can make that mistake. Maybe DED got an internship making charts and graphs for Samsung

Numbers works as it should:

Excel does too, last time I checked. It's just that marketing doesn't always know the product they are marketing, hence the empty Formula Bar:

So, no, DED was not drowning in the water here. But we've been through all this before
  • Reply 63 of 121
    tnsftnsf Posts: 203member
    800,000 SHIPPED, not sold.
  • Reply 64 of 121
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    These are clearly actual SALES. Not just "shipped." Let's give credit where due: Samsung copied a mere rumor and made a real product that sold nearly a million.

The nature of the sales is made clear at the end of the report: "Hey, mister--I work for Samsung down the street. Do you want this truck for $5? You can have whatever's inside it too!"
  • Reply 65 of 121
    ireland wrote: »
    Curiously it says this in the second paragraph:

"Samsung is clearly trying to sell the idea that it’s doing just fine. The South Korean company said Tuesday it has shipped more than 800,000 units of the smartwatch since its launch in early September."

Next time try to read past the headline.
  • Reply 66 of 121
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

If true, that number puts a little damper on Apple enthusiasts Schadenfreude, but it doesn't change that that Samsung gear is a fugly device I hope I don't see more people wearing out and about.  If the 'artists renderings' of Apple's Wonder Womanesque iBracer are close to what the delivered product looks like I sure as hell hope those don't catch on either.

Hopefully that's a ruse and Apple comes up with something both elegant and functional- or nothing at all.

• Reply 67 of 121
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Thanks. Now that you post this, I remember it was posted earlier as well (perhaps by you). So, in short, a company gets to call it as sold because they receive money for shipping said product, be it the end customer or a reseller. And if that reseller can't get revenue for the product that is their issue. They might as well use it themselves or whatever.

Pretty much.
  • Reply 68 of 121
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TNSF View Post

800,000 SHIPPED, not sold.

I don't think they know the difference judging by the fact that they claim to have "the most sold wearable watch."

• Reply 69 of 121
    Somewhat related (at least it's about SAMSUNG)...

Seems they've borked their latest S3 update and so suspended it for the time being. Makes me even more confident of their ability to deliver a well-designed and properly performing Tizen. :\
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24995544
  • Reply 70 of 121
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

They may, or may not, have sold 800K.  I personally don't believe everything that Samsung says, given their demonstrated history of misinformation.  For instance, they lied about the specs including the speed of their devices.  When someone lies about something in life, you can't be sure they aren't lying about something else.  

• Reply 71 of 121

Apparently now confirmed to be shipments: http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/19/5121212/samsung-galaxy-gear-smartwatch-sales-figures

Quote:

Update: Although Reuters reports the figure represents sales, Korean publication Yonhap claims Samsung is referring to shipments to retailers. Samsung Korea has confirmed in an email to The Verge that the figure relates to shipments as originally reported by Yonhap.

• Reply 72 of 121
    cincytee wrote: »

Unless Samsung has turned into a charity or a consignment shop those shipments were purchased by the reseller. That make's 'em a sale same as they'd be for anyone else including Apple. By the same token those sales aren't to be misconstrued as sales to an end-user, aka sell-thru.
  • Reply 73 of 121
    Galaxy Gear support only 3 devices

~ Samsung note 3
    ~ Samsung note 10.1.2014
    ~ Samsung s 4

The transition to Jelly Bean 4.3 in older OS has been a complete failures recently where their flagship s3 is still running 4.1 and those who have updated it to 4.3 had made their s3 dead or useless scrap of cheap plastic waste. The no of S4 is too small so where the hell did the figure 800,000 units has popup. Update of android jelly bean 4.3 has been pulled off by Korean firm and you see new devices are still being rollout with 4.2 or even the obsolete ice cream sandwich. Launch of Kitkat has been taken away to an unknown destination

Real time statistic from reliable sources base on real time fact show only 50000 units has been sold with a high return of 30%.

So what Samsung is doing is saying blah blah blah otherwise they would have show real data based on inventory report. Moreover how people do you see wearing it only a few

One fact becomes very clean the working style of Samsung is based on Barbarian Civilisation. From June 2013 they have bring caught end red handed in manipulating benchmarks and now resorted to false claim.

Is this what we consumer get in the name of technological innovation that spiral on innovation crisis. Height of sickness.
  • Reply 74 of 121
    Quote:

Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

Apple is lagging way behind when it comes to smart watches.

In December 2006, Apple was lagging way behind when it came to smartphones.

In March 2010, Apple was lagging way behind when it came to tablets.

So, yeah. Apple is lagging way behind when it comes to wearable computing devices. Until it isn't.

• Reply 74 of 121
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Unless Samsung has turned into a charity or a consignment shop those shipments were purchased by the reseller. That make's 'em a sale same as they'd be for anyone else including Apple. By the same token those sales aren't to be misconstrued as sales to an end-user, aka sell-thru.

I believe Walmart, Costco and others beg to differ... If it is not sold in the 3 months time it is allowed, it is returned (along with defects, client returns and what not). Or the provider makes a deal of sorts with the retailer in order to extend the timeframe or to make a promo/firesale.

• Reply 76 of 121
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    gatorguy wrote: »

See Surface 1, Playbook, kin.
  • Reply 77 of 121
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Not bad. However, if Apple were to sell only a few million smartwatches it would be considered an epic failure. It's a relative sort of victory for Samsung. By the time Apple introduces its own smartwatch, Samsung will have reduced the Galaxy Gear to around $150 or even lower if necessary just so Apple won't be able to sell its own smartwatch in high quantities. Nowadays, only market share matters.

One thing for sure, those Gear smartwatches are probably counted as Android activations to kick Android market share even higher in comparison to iOS. Chalk it up as another gazillion a day Android activations to show Android is just crushing Apple into oblivion.

Android crushed Apple with junks because only 1/3 of android devices are in comparable class with iPhone. Samsung smart watch is ugly and sucks; pay me to wear it? I wont. btw, a company responds to rumors? lol

• Reply 78 of 121
    jungmark wrote: »
    See Surface 1, Playbook, kin.

Exactly. While those were originally sold and counted as such you'll note the required disclosures when poor retailer sales resulted in a special allowance for them to return those unsold products for manufacturer write-off. I don't recall any Samsung announcements to that effect (nor Apple either for that matter). You can bet that if it happened it would'a been reported. Not much makes it past the tech press, at least not all of them.
  • Reply 79 of 121
    Originally Posted by Bob Smooper View Post

Your 50,000 watches sold post was slightly wrong. 800,000 watches. Slight discrepancy.

And you have proof they actually sold? Because here’s proof they didn’t:

Originally Posted by cincytee View Post

• Reply 80 of 121
    Every web site I'm reading this shit, there are replies from people only to make fun of Samsung and their sold vs shipped vs bundled for FREE with some samsung's shitty product!

ROFLMAO

Samsung should have learned by now that they've fucked around with the very wrong American company .... Then again, it's just too late for them to back off.

Those idiots who own samsung should remember that there are millions of Apple fans who never EVER buy anything with the name samsung on it.