Apple TV update adds new channels from PBS & Yahoo Screen

24

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 74

    Perfect timing. I was just thinking the other day that what my AppleTV needs, more than anything else, is more icons on the home screen that I don't use. Awesome!

     

    -kpluck

  • Reply 22 of 74
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,143member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

     

    It's not Apple's fault that people live in foreign countries. And it's not Apple's fault that international licensing and distribution deals are the way that they are.


     

    Miss the point much?  While it would be especially nice if Apple could get more local content for the non-US audience, it's a double slap in the face when they force US-centric apps onto the dashboard of the Apple TV.  Some of which are practically non-functional outside of the US, so should not be auto-deployed.  

     

    And while you can hide them, it's an irritating manual process buried in a non-obvious place, that (in my experience) also generates some major annoyances with repeatedly asking for the parental control passcode.

  • Reply 23 of 74
    Yawn.. Let me know when something big like Amazon gets on there.
  • Reply 24 of 74
    But still no way to re-order the channels that you do see. And no easy way to control all of your logins.

    For AppleTV to win, a universal subscription method would be key. At least let me configure it from my computer and push the config to each device. I have multiple AppleTV's in the house, and they each need to be set up on their own, from the device.

    As this thing does more and more, proper organization is key.
  • Reply 25 of 74
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

     

     

    Miss the point much?  While it would be especially nice if Apple could get more local content for the non-US audience, it's a double slap in the face when they force US-centric apps onto the dashboard of the Apple TV.  Some of which are practically non-functional outside of the US, so should not be auto-deployed.  

     

    And while you can hide them, it's an irritating manual process buried in a non-obvious place, that (in my experience) also generates some major annoyances with repeatedly asking for the parental control passcode.


     

    So what about those people who live in those countries and are able to access US content? Should Apple not have updated their Apple TV's at all?

     

    I don't see what the big deal is, especially since it appears that channels can be hidden. You do it once and it's hidden, is that not how it works? 

  • Reply 26 of 74

    Thank you for the suggestion, I tried holding the menu and play button for 30 seconds, I tried all the buttons, the light is still blinking

    frustrated

  • Reply 27 of 74
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

     

    More US only centric icons on my Apple TV, come on Apple. Either release local content or don't bother clogging up my screen with shit  I can't even use!

     

    They need to release an App Store so that the A TV can be truly useful to non Americans!


    REALLY?    Do you know what PBS is?    You might want to open your mind instead of clogging our screen with 

    hate filled  Sh*t   ,  we can't use.

  • Reply 28 of 74
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by swinson View Post

     

    Thank you for the suggestion, I tried holding the menu and play button for 30 seconds, I tried all the buttons, the light is still blinking

    frustrated


     

    On Apple's site, they mention the menu and down button:

     

    Hold down Menu and Down on the Apple Remote for six seconds, and then release when you see the indicator light on the Apple TV blink rapidly.

  • Reply 29 of 74
    I don't yet own an Apple TV box, but plan on buying the next version when it's released. But, as a newbie, I have a question: Which of the channels are free, and which are subscription-only?
  • Reply 30 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

     

     

    While this is true, it is decidedly un-Apple. For years they have resisted to clutter computers with trial- and junk ware, but everybody connecting a brand new Apple TV outside the US faces a screen flooded with inaccessible content. Clunky MS-like workarounds are not a good solution.

     

    This is not a disaster, but inconvenient. For people having only the Apple Remote (no iOS device) managing anything on the Apple TV is troublesome enough.


     

    I'd say just toss all the 3rd party apps into an "Add Channels" button. This way, when you unpack and setup a brand new Apple TV, you only see media related "channels" across the top row or two followed by a channel with a big "+" symbol on it. Click that and you pull up a list of all available channels and just turn on the ones you want.

     

    This accomplishes two things:

     

    1. Removes clutter - A user is now able to slowly add content as they please. You can get a new channel, check it out, and then go look for something new when you're ready.

     

    2. Turns channels into apps - If you can add and remove channels as you please, they're not really channels anymore. The average consumer can start thinking of channels the same way they think of Angry Birds or Reuters on their iDevice.

     

    These items together provide an elegant stepping stone towards an App Store for the Apple TV, and all it takes is a Plus button.  :)

  • Reply 31 of 74

    Things are certainly getting interesting on Apple TV.  There's clearly a plan in place.

  • Reply 32 of 74

    What happens when I hold down the menu and bottom button is the blinking stops and gives me a light that isn't blinking but as soon as I let go it starts to blink again

  • Reply 33 of 74
    tony1tony1 Posts: 259member
    Although I want the next ATV, Roku seems to be ahead of Apple outside of the GUI, which is slowly getting better. Feels like they're playing catch up.
  • Reply 34 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by apikoros View Post



    I don't yet own an Apple TV box, but plan on buying the next version when it's released. But, as a newbie, I have a question: Which of the channels are free, and which are subscription-only?

    The channels with free content are Smithsonian, Wall Street Journal, Weather Channel, Vevo, Vimeo, PBS, and Sky News. With Disney, HBO Go, Watch ESPN, you have to be a cable subscriber to those channels to watch the content. On Watch ESPN, you can watch live games that aren't being shown on TV for free, but you have to have an ISP that supports it such as Comcast. If you are a fan of soccer, there are a lot of games you can watch for free. The sports channels, Hulu Plus, and Netflix are all subscription. 

  • Reply 35 of 74

    It's kind of weird that every iOS device supports Amazon Instant Video except Apple TV...

  • Reply 36 of 74
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by macshark View Post

     

    It's kind of weird that every iOS device supports Amazon Instant Video except Apple TV...


    It does now-   

  • Reply 37 of 74

    Let me guess. These two are BOTH dependent on you already owning cable or satellite service. Absolutely inexcusable.

     

    Originally Posted by ceek74 View Post

    Slowly building on that media library for that big day when Apple releases a beautiful 4k 3D TV.

     

    Nope. Not in the slightest. Ever. Particularly the 3D bit.

     

    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

    Perfect timing. I was just thinking the other day that what my AppleTV needs, more than anything else, is more icons on the home screen that I don't use. Awesome!

     

    So, what, you’ve never used your Apple TV? Hide them.

  • Reply 38 of 74
    foadfoad Posts: 708member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Brian Jojade View Post



    But still no way to re-order the channels that you do see. 

     

    If you hold down the center button on the remote, the icon will jiggle and you can reorder them as you please.  Additionally, as mentioned, you can hide what channels you don't want shown via Restrictions.

  • Reply 39 of 74

    Looks to me like the PBS offerings are "Previews". What good is that?

  • Reply 40 of 74
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by foad View Post

     

     

    If you hold down the center button on the remote, the icon will jiggle and you can reorder them as you please.  Additionally, as mentioned, you can hide what channels you don't want shown via Restrictions.


    Awesome - I should have tried that before - thank you!

Sign In or Register to comment.