Share your iCommune library.

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
If you are running iCommune (see other thread), post your contact information here if you'd like to trade iCommune URLs in order to stream and share non-copyright-protected music with AI friends.

iCommune is a little more personal than just p2p, so instead of posting iCommune URLs to complete strangers, perhaps we should just post our contact information on our IM service of choice, and/or our email, and introduce to one another and share iCommune libraries.

Here's mine:

AIM: <a href="http://aim:goim?screenname=wongulous&message=Hello+there! .+How+are+you?" target="_blank">wongulous</a>

<a href="http://mailto:[email protected]"; target="_blank">[email protected]</a>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    doxxdoxx Posts: 41member
    does sharing/web sharing work with an airport station (using DHCP)??
  • Reply 2 of 21
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    [quote]Originally posted by doxx:

<strong>does sharing/web sharing work with an airport station (using DHCP)??</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, you have to use the "Port Mapping" feature of AirPort Admin Utility to redirect an outside port to an inside port on a certain machine.

In my case I also had to reconfigure Apache to use a non-standard port because my ISP blocks port 80.

But I think I have it working. Damn, iCommune is slick. No skipping.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    elricelric Posts: 230member
    [quote]Originally posted by bradbower:

<strong>

In my case I also had to reconfigure Apache to use a non-standard port because my ISP blocks port 80.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

OMG your isp actually blocks your access? I wouldn't stand for that.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    [quote]Originally posted by Elric:

<strong>

OMG your isp actually blocks your access? I wouldn't stand for that.</strong><hr></blockquote>

For serving, yes. My home [cable] ISP blocks servers on port 80, and in fact in their AUP they say that users aren't to run any type of server at all. A lot of cable ISPs are like this. It's obviously because some people run warez servers and host commercial websites on their home cable connections, and run their usage way up, but they aren't that specific. Back when I was with @Home (it's now just Cox), I had been running a personal server just to allow me to reach some of my files easily from work/school, they found out, and actually called me up and asked me to immediately turn it off and apologize. Yes, they asked me to apologize. Stupidest ISP story ever. But that was a long time ago. @Home eventually started blocking port 80 due to misuse, and that carried over to Cox. But it's no matter, I've just changed httpd.conf to use port 3000. So I tack a :3000 onto the end of my IP when giving out my server. A little annoying, but it works.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    AIM: SJPSU

or shoot me a private message. it's the same thing as sending an email since incoming private messages are forwarded to my email account.

I'm behind AirPort too.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    AIM: inactionmensch
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Okay lets try make this more coordinated

One hour (6 pm AI time) from now all interested meet at appleinsider where we can exchange the relevant data.

And remember to empty your library for non legal music.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    [quote]Originally posted by Anders the White:

<strong>Okay lets try make this more coordinated

One hour (6 pm AI time) from now all interested meet at appleinsider where we can exchange the relevant data.

And remember to empty your library for non legal music.</strong><hr></blockquote>

IRC? or AIM chatroom "appleinsider"?

I would say, let's all meet in an AIM chatroom, appleinsider, because it'll be more convenient to only have those of us interested in iCommune, and everybody has iChat.

File --&gt; Go To Chat... appleinsider
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Does it float or does it sink?

I would have left a huge report here about a thoroughly test (lasted several minutes) Jonathan and I did on this plug in.

But it looks like more people want to try it out so I´ll wait for their results. I´ll be there on the hour at AIM "appleinsider"

Mmmmm... nachoes
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Come in to AIM chat 'appleinsider' to get a transcript of how to both remap apache to another port (terminal fun), and configure your base station or router to work with iCommune, as well as to share servers with us. Lots of fun going on.. right now..
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Yes we made progress. After Jonathan and I tried I was ready to declare this shitware than wouldn´t float.

But Bradbower know his stuff so we were able to connect to two users.

So please come by tomorrow and lets help set it up for you. First session will be at 2 pm AI time.

We still have some problems regarding network settings so anyone familiar with that please come by with suggestions.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    oops

[ 01-21-2003: Message edited by: ShawnPatrickJoyce ]</p>
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Pmub.

8pm cet
  • Reply 14 of 21
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    As always, remember:

"Don't steal Music".
  • Reply 15 of 21
    [quote]Originally posted by Anders the White:

<strong>Pmub.

8pm cet</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks

Anders was so kind as to make the chat into a little transcript instructing how to do some of the setup to get around routers, and ISPs that block port 80.

I'll be back again tonight, and we can all set up iCommune, change Apache's ports (we've been going with 3000), and fix port mapping on our routers/firewalls/base stations/access points. And share libraries, of course. It's a lot of fun to stream and download, when stuff works.

Maybe we can get a thing going, here.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>As always, remember:

"Don't steal Music".</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes. I have included that in the manual with instructions on how to remove those files you aren´t allowed to share.

Or to put it in one word: Bump
  • Reply 17 of 21
    These are really exciting times for file-sharing Mac users. We have Direct Connect, Limewire-based Acquisition, and now iCommune for our iTunes Music Libraries.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Would anyone care to put up a brief description of how the connection process works?

Thanks in adbumpvance.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    bunge, sign on AIM.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    zmenchzmench Posts: 126member
    Try this:

-Open terminal

-type the following that is in quotes, without the quotes of course: "cd /etc/httpd"

-"sudo pico httpd.conf"

-and enter in your admin password

-press control-w

-type in "standalone server listens" without the quotes

-and then press enter

-it'll bring you to the spot where you set the port

-below where the cursor is, it should say "Port 80" with no pound sign in front of it

-just use the arrows and delete key to get rid of 80, and put in 3000

-as soon as you're done, press control-x

-it'll ask to save

-press y

-then it'll ask the filename

-make sure you don't change that, and press enter

-then it goes back to the command line. you've successfully changed the configuration file. now we just have to restart apache!

-"sudo apachectl restart graceful"

-and enter, of course.

-then it should say that it restarted

<a href="http://xx.xx.xx.xx:3000/~y/Music"; target="_blank">http://xx.xx.xx.xx:3000/~y/Music</a>;

Where,

xx.xx.xx.xx --&gt; ip address

y --&gt; log in