Apple's Find My Friends app updated with new look for iOS 7

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The stitched-leather look of Apple's Find My Friends app for iPhone and iPad is now a thing of the past, with a new update on Tuesday eschewing skeuomorphism for an iOS 7-style flatter design.

Friends

The updated Find My Friends version 3.0 is now available for download from the App Store. It's a 7.1-megabyte download that requires iOS 7.0 or later.

The only changes to Find My Friends appear to be its appearance., opting for a simpler look. Apple's release notes make no mention of any other changes to the application.

The friend-tracking application is the last major holdout among Apple's mobile software offerings to come in line with the company's new design sensibilities. Apple changed direction with the launch of iOS 7, abandoning a penchant for lifelike recreations of textures and objects that was favored by former mobile software chief Scott Forstall.

Last week Apple also updated iBooks and iTunes U with flatter designs for iOS 7. All three applications feature simple white icons against orangish-yellow gradient backgrounds.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    About time!! This was one of the most hideous looking apps. The faux leather was ridiculous and unnecessary. I use this app a lot to keep track of my kids and was eagerly awaiting this update.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    This had always been the worst looking app since it first launched during the height of skeupmorphism era. I'm just glad it's Forest-all gone.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    sog35 wrote: »
    I like the leather. I'm keeping the old version
    Ok Steve.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    Clock faces are skeuomorphic, digital readouts are not. Which do you find easier to quickly tell time? Both have their place.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    akqies wrote: »
    This had always been the worst looking app since it first launched during the height of skeupmorphism era. I'm just glad it's Forest-all gone.

Yeah but it's a bit sad. It wasn't all Forestall's doing. Steve was a big part of the apps looks and feel and although the leather wasn't completely appreciated by all, much of the bold words, shading, and easy to read segmentation of a "clickable" button and options were very intuitive and nice to use.

I like iOS 7 but some of the floating blue words, blend-into-the-background calendar and contacts sections aren't as easy to read and see.

Sure we are all getting use to this "light minimalistic" look and feel, but I remember it being much easier to appropriate myself and use the phone with the older iOS style.

Example...have you received a phone call while on the phone (call waiting) in iOS 7?

Well I have and each and every time I have to carefully read the two lightly shaded boxes and be careful to choose the correct button that answers and DOESNT hang up on the previous caller.

In Steve's iOS I never had to even think. Just look and boom! It just stood out clearly and easily to be selected.

I to this day don't know where that button is on either iOS ....but I know on Steve's iOS that it was instantly made clear which option to choose.

Contacts aren't nearly as easy to see.

If you have someone in your contacts list with tons of information… Various phone numbers… Emails… And addresses.

It's just a long list of blue world words with the white background.

In the previous iOS it was very segmented and shaded with bold words, dark lines and sections, and it was easy to read choose the choices that you need.

Jony Ive and the team… Need to keep
    In mind that this is not a computer and it doesn't always sit on your desk in the same environment and in the same lighting.

It's a mobile device that you carry with you in all sorts of environments. On the move and on the go. It is a small screen used in the bright sunlight or could be a bright screen in the darkness. These are all factions and more that could make it difficult to read some of these iOS 7 designs.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    Yeah but it's a bit sad. It wasn't all Forestall's doing. Steve was a big part of the apps looks and feel and although the leather wasn't completely appreciated by all, much of the bold words, shading, and easy to read segmentation of a "clickable" button and options were very intuitive and nice to use.

For once I'd agree with the sentiment "This would never happen if Steve Jobs were alive" and for once I'm thankful he's not CEO if it would have meant this ugly UI would have continued.
  • Reply 7 of 39

I wouldn't say there are no new features. Your friends pictures now show on the map and you can choose to notify someone automatically when you arrive/leave. I never hated the old look, but this is a nice refresh. I use this app all the time.

• Reply 8 of 39
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    For once I'd agree with the sentiment "This would never happen if Steve Jobs were alive" and for once I'm thankful he's not CEO if it would have meant this ugly UI would have continued.
    Yeah, how much of this design language was really at the insistence of Steve? And Forstall was someone wedded to doing whatever Steve wanted (even after Steve was gone)?
  • Reply 9 of 39
    One problem arises often when designers and advertisers "mess" with something that has worked for years. They get tired of it and often replace what "worked" with something that, shall we say, doesn't work as well. Jobs knew something about good typography. I was in that world for over 10 years. It's always about readability and legibility, not "changeability." If the old version was bad it would already have passed away. John Deere has had many logos over the years, but the changes were always in the "background" ready for something new. Still, either the 3D or the flat look is OK with me. But I preferred the 3D shaded-look, not the "I hate skeomorphism bandwagon" that some jumped on.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Am I the only one that find the vomit-yellow text horrendous looking, not to mention not very readable? Yellow text over a semi transparent background? Really?

• Reply 11 of 39
    slurpy wrote: »
    Am I the only one that find the vomit-yellow text horrendous looking, not to mention not very readable? Yellow text over a semi transparent background? Really?

Not a fan of that font color but overall this is an improvement so I'll take it.
  • Reply 12 of 39

Quote:

The only changes to Find My Friends appear to be its appearance., opting for a simpler look. Apple's release notes make no mention of any other changes to the application.

Maybe I missed it previously, but I notice it's now possible to add people with an expiration date, to notify anyone when I leave or arrive (as opposed to notifying me when a friend leaves or arrives), to ignore geofence alerts from people who aren't my "friends", to disallow friend requests entirely, and to star certain friends as "favorites" that show at the top of the list.  Also, the blue dot is replaced with a tiny version of the friend's contact photo.

• Reply 13 of 39
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

I think what you meant to say about skeumorphism is: "This WOULD have happened if Steve was still alive!"
  • Reply 14 of 39
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    slurpy wrote: »

Vomit-yellow text?

What HAVE you been eating lately?

;)
  • Reply 15 of 39
    Am I missing the option to change the type of map displayed? I have satellite view but like the hybrid view.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    gtr wrote: »
    Vomit-yellow text?

What HAVE you been eating lately?

;)

That's BileMaker yellow.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    "Clock faces are skeuomorphic, digital readouts are not. Which do you find easier to quickly tell time? Both have their place."

Robin, I'd say, more accurately, I hope, that clock faces are graphical representations of time, while digital readouts are numeric representations.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ImmortalSix View Post

Am I missing the option to change the type of map displayed? I have satellite view but like the hybrid view.

AFTER you pick an individual to locate, click the More button, top right

• Reply 19 of 39
    There are a few more comparison images here:
    http://iosguides.net/find-friends-app-updated-interface-ios-7/

A much welcome improvement!
  • Reply 20 of 39
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    About time. :smokey: