Samsung announces 800K Galaxy Gear smartwatches shipped since launch [u]

Comments

• Reply 81 of 121
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Why would they ship something they don't think they'll sell?

I don't know? Why don't you ask Microsoft about the Surface? I'm sure Samsung's answer will be similar!!!!

• Reply 82 of 121

Actually, it was probably 800K Android bloggers who were paid to $449 to write a review on the  $399 Gear and bash Apple on every message board they could find!!!!!

• Reply 83 of 121
    jmncl wrote: »
    Simple explanation: 50,000 actually sold and 750,000 given "free" bundled with Samsung phones.

Using mark-to-market accounting, they get to report future Galaxy Gear sales today! Samsung wins! :)
  • Reply 84 of 121
    ingelaingela Posts: 217member

I hope Apple is able to make theirs a standalone product. I think it would suck as a "companion piece".  I would love to have it as my sole phone email checker and not have to haul around anything else. They would sell a hell of a lot more if it was a subsidized standalone phone.

• Reply 85 of 121
    I believe this as Samsung has never been known to lie.
  • Reply 86 of 121
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

Apple is lagging way behind when it comes to smart watches.

I hope this is a joke.

Apple aren't lagging behind, they just aren't rushing any old piece of shit to market.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Oddly the article title says 'sells' http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/11/19/samsung-sells-800000-smartwatches-since-launch/

Samsung do sell them, however, to other resellers. It is the resellers that have to sell them to customers.

Apple sell direct and through their own stores mainly which is why there is a difference between Apple's "units sold" and Samsung's "units sold".

• Reply 87 of 121
    If apple sued, it would be only 50,000 watches. Like phones.
  • Reply 88 of 121
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Exactly. While those were originally sold and counted as such you'll note the required disclosures when poor retailer sales resulted in a special allowance for them to return those unsold products for manufacturer write-off. I don't recall any Samsung announcements to that effect (nor Apple either for that matter). You can bet that if it happened it would'a been reported. Not much makes it past the tech press, at least not all of them.

How long did it take for the write down on the Surface? We'll have to wait that long then.
  • Reply 89 of 121
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    I'm issuing a bounty on the new Galaxy Gear smartwatch. If you're the first person to post on this thread your own photo of someone actually wearing one of these gizmos in public - identifying the date, time, location and circumstances - I'll arrange to send you a free box of these:

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/twinkies-make-official-nationwide-return-shelves/t/story?id=19664290&ref=https://www.google.com/

This offer will expire at noon Central Time on November 20, 2013.
  • Reply 90 of 121
    Quote:

Originally Posted by focher View Post

In December 2006, Apple was lagging way behind when it came to smartphones.

In March 2010, Apple was lagging way behind when it came to tablets.

So, yeah. Apple is lagging way behind when it comes to wearable computing devices. Until it isn't.

When Apple releases a smart watch, it will be using Samsung's screen and flash memory. Apple lags behind in screen and flash memory technology.

• Reply 91 of 121
    I think I broke the code...

The 800K watches are connected to those 10 Million USB-Stick Android Tablets.

Simple, really... When you think about it!
  • Reply 92 of 121
    ireland wrote: »

No, only the article URL says ’sells’, not the title.

The actual on-page headline reads: "Samsung SHIPS 800,000 Smartwatches Since Launch”

Which tells me that they corrected the original “sells” headline to a more accurate “ships” headline. (they use headlines in the URL commonly at wsj blogs, and those don’t usually get renamed even when the article or headline gets a subsequent edit).

The article TITLE actually reads, “Is the Galaxy Gear Smartwatch from Samsung A Flop?”

And the article itself goes on to question whether reporting “shipped” as sold is really telling the whole story…

So, nah, nothing very “oddly” there...
  • Reply 93 of 121
    b9botb9bot Posts: 238member

Everyone knows Samsung lies, copies, steals, cheats at everything it does. Do you really believe they sold 800,000 of those dumb clunky watches? I don't, not for a second. Maybe they gave them away or like others have said, they are in the inventory all over the place. There reputation as a company has gone down the sewer drain with me. I would not purchase anything with a Samsung label on it.

Why do I call them dumb? Because you need there tablet or phone to actually make them function on top of the $300 you have to spend to get that dumb watch. 

• Reply 94 of 121

800,000 fools. What a joke.

• Reply 95 of 121
    peter236 wrote: »
    When Apple releases a smart watch, it will be using Samsung's screen and flash memory. Apple lags behind in screen and flash memory technology.
    When Apple gets into the screen and memory chip making business, that may become true. Until the do, they aren't.
  • Reply 96 of 121
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    peter236 wrote: »

Apple also lags in appliance tech too.
  • Reply 97 of 121
    Sold? More like given away to 800k Korean homeless people
  • Reply 98 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Oddly the article title says 'sells' http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/11/19/samsung-sells-800000-smartwatches-since-launch/

Well it doesn't say "sells" anymore. Not when I read it. I also find it strange that the URL, the article title and the tab title say 3 different things.

What I take issue with is a quote within the same article. It says: 

Samsung’s announcement “is probably just to show that the shipments have reached close to 1 million,” Doh Hyun-woo, an analyst with Mirae Asset Securities said. “Still, the figure only shows us that people are rarely buying this product given that the Galaxy Note [3] smartphones are expected to average 10 million units in sales per month.”

10 million a month? So what he's saying is Samsung (expects to) sell almost as many Galaxy Note 3s per quarter as Apple sells iPhones per quarter? Seriously??!

• Reply 99 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Well it doesn't say "sells" anymore. Not when I read it. I also find it strange that the URL, the article title and the tab title say 3 different things.

Interesting. As for the URL being different from the title, that can be the result of rewriting the title after the article was created. Many content management systems auto-generate the URL from the title, but if you later change the title, the URL remains the same unless you also explicitly modify it before publishing. I think that is why they are different.

It also strongly suggests the original title was "Samsung sells 800,000 smartwatches since launch".

• Reply 100 of 121
    Then, there's this:

[SIZE=5][B]MILEY CYRUS in JUST HER SKIMPY PANTIES
    would LOVE our smartwatch: Samsung[/B][/SIZE]

[B][SIZE=5][COLOR=red]And it is selling like Hot Buns, insists chaebol[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/35204/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11/19/watch_war_samsung_blasts_galaxy_gear_poor_sales_claim/

Edit: I suppose that they could come up with. a special strap configuration that didn't interfere with any activities...

Say it isn't so, Hannah!