MOGA's Lightning-connected, iOS 7 compatible iPhone game controller launches this week

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's retail and online stores, along with other authorized resellers, will begin carrying the MOGA Ace Power gamepad for iPhone this week, giving smartphone gamers more precise physical controls on their mobile device.

Moga

MOGA's launch marks the first authorized Made for iPhone gaming controller to hit the market. Support for dedicated controllers was introduced in September with the launch of the iOS 7 mobile operating system.

The $99 MOGA Ace Power is compatible with Apple's 4-inch Lightning-connected devices: The iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, and fifth-generation iPod touch. It also comes with an 1,800mAh battery to recharge a device on the go.

In terms of physical input, the MOGA Ace Power includes two joysticks, a D-pad, front-facing A, B, X and Y buttons, and L1, R1, L2 and R2 shoulder buttons.

The MOGA controller features a collapsable design that makes it more portable for on-the-go gaming. Once expanded, users can pop an iPhone or iPod touch in the center, placing the physical controls to the left and right of the iOS 7 device's screen.

Moga

The controller connects to the iPhone or iPod touch through the Lightning port, meaning the device is only capable of physical wired connections for control. That means the MOGA Ace Power cannot support Apple's other portable iOS devices in the iPad lineup.

Games must be updated to support third-party controller accessories, and unsurprisingly at launch the number of compatible games is somewhat limited. Initial titles include Oceanhorn, Bastion and LEGO Lord of the Rings.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Cool.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Saying games must be updated to support the controller is not 100% accurate. It implies devs have to specifically target this controller (they don't).

What devs need to do is support Apple's new gaming controller API's in iOS 7. This will automatically give the game support for the MOGA and all other controllers coming out (like the Logitech).
  • Reply 3 of 22
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member

I want one, just going to wait to see the logitech version before I decide to buy.

If Nintendo were to release a controller in the style of the original NES version and release catalogue titles such as Mario Bros and Donkey Kong they would make an absolute killing.

• Reply 4 of 22
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    sog35 wrote: »
    $99 is ridiculously expensive.  I could buy entire gaming systems for that price. Pass.

I think 'ridiculously expensive' is possibly overstating it.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Saying games must be updated to support the controller is not 100% accurate. It implies devs have to specifically target this controller (they don't).

What devs need to do is support Apple's new gaming controller API's in iOS 7. This will automatically give the game support for the MOGA and all other controllers coming out (like the Logitech).

And that's called an update.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    ireland wrote: »
    I think 'ridiculously expensive' is possibly overstating it.

It is about twice as expensive as controllers for the PS and Xbox. But then, this is a more complex device, and add sa whopping battery. I might buy one, though I wish it worked with my iPad as well. That is a disappointment, if true. When pushed together, it would make a standard controller, though the design would be a bit clumsy to hold.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    There's a video demo here:

[VIDEO]

It looks cheaply made yet is quite expensive considering both wired and wireless XBox controllers are under $40:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbox-360-Controller-Windows/dp/B004QRKWLA

Apparently the Moga one doesn't even work as a dual-mode controller so you have to get a separate one to use with the iPad. I expect the market will bring the price down but the Android one is cheaper:

http://www.amazon.com/POWER-A-MOGA-Electronic-Games/dp/B00FB5RBJM

Logitech aren't usually all that cheap either but they do make some high quality products. Hopefully they will have a collapsible controller that has wireless and clip-on with a single unit that is comparable in price to this.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    I would love to see if this works with Air Drop. It doesn't look like too large a jump into serious gaming when you can hold this in your hand and see it on your tv.
  • Reply 9 of 22

...this is just the start.  Look for more cool accessories.

I for one am expecting a similar add-on as a 4 channel remote for heli's.  Package the heli with a camera and you have yourself a personal UAV at around $500 stock!  

• Reply 10 of 22
    I want to buy this, but why does it have to be so ugly?
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Marvin wrote: »
    There's a video demo here:

[VIDEO]

It looks cheaply made yet is quite expensive considering both wired and wireless XBox controllers are under $40:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbox-360-Controller-Windows/dp/B004QRKWLA

Apparently the Moga one doesn't even work as a dual-mode controller so you have to get a separate one to use with the iPad. I expect the market will bring the price down but the Android one is cheaper:

http://www.amazon.com/POWER-A-MOGA-Electronic-Games/dp/B00FB5RBJM

Logitech aren't usually all that cheap either but they do make some high quality products. Hopefully they will have a collapsible controller that has wireless and clip-on with a single unit that is comparable in price to this.

I was just reading that Sony's new dual shock controller is $59,95. That does put things in perspective. This is a more complex device, with a rather large battery. It's not really surprising that it costs what it does. It's also possible that the unit tried was a preproduction one.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    gordio wrote: »
    I want to buy this, but why does it have to be so ugly?

All controllers are ugly.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

All controllers are ugly.

For iOS? I agree. Overall, well…

• Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

And that's called an update.

Technically, but there's a difference between coding for a specific controller (the Android way), using a third-party set of tools (like MOGA does with Android as well), or just using the API's that come with the OS and having guaranteed compatibility with any controller out there.

Many people might be familiar with MOGA and their products for Android, so I think it worthwhile to explain that things are fundamentally different in iOS 7 when it comes to gaming controller support.

• Reply 15 of 22
    Looks cheap and poorly designed. Not at all something that fits with an Apple device.
    I give this 6 months on the marked tops.
  • Reply 17 of 22

And you don't think that's ugly? I do.

Whyzzat? In terms of hand fit, it’s one of the most ergonomic controllers. The analog stick on the left totally ruins overall ergonomics, but it’s clean of line and design otherwise.

• Reply 18 of 22
    st88st88 Posts: 124member

$99 and you have to take the case off?  No thanks!  

MOGA must be adding some sort of Apple tax.

The MOGA HERO POWER is only $59 and it also has a 1800 mAh.

MOGA HERO™ POWER Controller 

• Reply 19 of 22
    st88st88 Posts: 124member
    Quote:

It is about twice as expensive as controllers for the PS and Xbox. But then, this is a more complex device, and add a whopping battery. 

How is it more complex than a PlayStation controller such as Sony's DualShock 4? . . .

• Reply 20 of 22
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    The Logitech one's detailed here now too:

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/powershell-controller-and-battery

same price $100. I forgot it doesn't have analog sticks or the second set of shoulder buttons so no good for games that need you to control a camera. You can still use the touchscreen to control the camera but your thumb won't easily reach the screen.

[VIDEO]

Lame company tagline too: "science wins".

It would probably have been better if they just had a holder for the phone with a normal sized controller that had a plug to go into the phone. This way the same controller would work with an iPad.