Hands-off with millions of dollars worth of Product (RED) items designed by Apple's Jony Ive

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A new Product (RED) cylindrical Mac Pro, golden EarPods, a one-of-a-kind Leica Digital Rangefinder Camera, and other products designed by Apple's Jony Ive are now on display in New York City ahead of a charity auction later this week. AppleInsider was on-hand Tuesday an exclusive up-close --?but hands-off -- look at the items that will be sold for a good cause.

Red

The items chosen and curated by Ive, Apple's design chief, along with influential industrial designer Marc Newson will be auctioned off this Saturday to benefit The Global Fund to fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria. They include a a one-of-a-kind Leica camera, a red next-generation Mac Pro, and gold-plated Apple EarPods, all of which are now on exhibition at Sotheby's New York.

While all 44 of the auction's lots were selected by Ive and Newson, many of the items were also subjected to further customization by the design duo. Ive's signature sleek aesthetic is in evidence with the deep red coloration of Apple's new cylindrical Mac Pro and the laser-machined aluminum chassis of a custom-designed Leica rangefinder, while Newson's more organic style influences a handmade aluminum desk and the bespoke display stand that holds a space shuttle window.

Red

French fashion house Herm?s and footwear designer Christian Louboutin contributed one-off pieces created under Ive and Newson's direction, and still more items -- like Achille and Pier Giacomo Castiglioni's iconic "Snoopy" lamp and Henning Koppel's "Pregnant Duck" pitcher -- received red-tinted touches prescribed by the designers.

The auction, dubbed "Jony and Marc's (RED) Auction," is set to take place at 7 p.m. on Nov. 23 at Sotheby's New York. The pieces can be seen on exhibition each of the next four days from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m at the auction house's Upper East Side Manhattan location, on York Avenue near 71st street.

Red

The full list of unique Product (RED) items that Ive is credited with having contributed to the design are:
  • Mac Pro
  • Gold Apple EarPods
  • 2013 Range Rover
Red
  • Dom Perignon Enotheque 1966 Magnum in Custom Red Cooler
  • Achille and Pier Giacomo Gastiglioni "Arco" Lamp
  • Herm?s "Cavale" Saddle
  • Leica Digital Rangefinder Camera
  • Neil Fay Studio mosaic-patterned aluminum desk
Red
  • U.S. Space Shuttle thermal window on custom stand designed by Ive and Newson
  • Steinway & Sons Unique "Red Pops for (RED)" Parlor Grand Model A Piano
More pictures from the upcoming auction are included below.

Red

Red

Red

Red

Red

Red

Red

Red

Red

Red

Red

Red

Red

Red

Red

Red

Red

Red

Red

Red

Red

Red

Red

Red

Red

Red

Red

Red

Red

Red

Red

Red

Red

Red

Red

Red

Red

Red

Red

Red

Red

Red

Red

Red

Red

Red

Red

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    I know they are trying to pitch RED as some sort of worthwhile charity that Bono cooked up, but it's not that big of a deal to anodize aluminum in different colors.

If someone REALLY wants a different color bad enough, you have to strip the unit down to the bare metal case, send it to a company that will strip the original anodizing and then do a different decorative coating, there's a lot of different kinds and colors to choose from, it's just more expensive in involved with finding what's available.
  • Reply 2 of 34

own the worlds worst headphones, NOW AVAILABLE IN GOLD!

• Reply 3 of 34
    The 8th photo down has a reflection of a Storm Trooper.
  • Reply 4 of 34

I want the storm trooper that shows in the reflection of the Mac Pro.

• Reply 5 of 34
    Is that a storm trooper in the reflexion on the the macpro
  • Reply 6 of 34
    Darn, just noticed two people beat me!!
  • Reply 7 of 34

Meh. Most of the stuff looks gaudy, ostentatious, and aesthetically mediocre. I say this as someone who owns multiple Product (RED) items from Apple.

• Reply 8 of 34
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    The Piano looks nice. I would take it :)
  • Reply 9 of 34
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Meh. Most of the stuff looks gaudy, ostentatious, and aesthetically mediocre. I say this as someone who owns multiple Product (RED) items from Apple.
    How can something be gaudy, ostentatious and mediocre at the same time? Also, what exactly is ostentatious? To me that doesn't go with "meh".
  • Reply 10 of 34

Should be a good auction. Lots of beautiful stuff.

• Reply 11 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

How can something be gaudy, ostentatious and mediocre at the same time? Also, what exactly is ostentatious? To me that doesn't go with "meh".

Screams Liberace-chic to me (see e.g., http://ishamcook.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/liberace2-darryl.jpg). All those adjectives fit.

The 'meh'? Because it leaves me cold.

No offense intended. Tastes vary.

• Reply 12 of 34

It would be nice if Mr. Ive would leave Apple and spend 100% of his time promoting his design work somewhere else instead of making ios7 and (increasingly) Mavericks a monument to his taste at the expense of operational reliability and ease of use.  

• Reply 13 of 34
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Red

Red

Red

Not really a fan of the art style that has been created by this, but boy howdy do I ever want this piece.

It’s from the space shuttle, people. The least focused part of NASA’s history, yes, but it went to space. It’s like owning a part of Sputnik.

• Reply 14 of 34
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    1) I want to know what the specs of the Mac Pro are? IOWs, did they skimp out on the internals by not putting in the highest 12-core chip, GPUs, and RAM that will be available to users?

2) That Space Shuttle art is really appealing.

3) I would love to have that Range Rover. The red accents are nice without looking gaudy like most of the stuff.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Nice but most of the products here (with the exception of the earphones, aluminium table and Leica camera) are just standard items with a lick of red paint added.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

own the worlds worst headphones, NOW AVAILABLE IN GOLD!

These new headphones are a hell of a lot better than the previous Apple headphones. Now those really sucked.

• Reply 17 of 34
    Not sure what this is but it kind of looks like Daffy Duck with a mask and a gag....

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/35190/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Or maybe I need more sleep. ;)
  • Reply 18 of 34
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    rogifan wrote: »

Quite easily, IMO. Pretty much anything that I would describe as gaudy and ostentatious is also aesthetically mediocore by virtue of the fact that it's either trying to hard to be original or unique or whomever designed it simply didn't know it went from just enough to way to much.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Not sure what this is but it kind of looks like Daffy Duck with a mask and a gag....

It's a red riding saddle for some really rich hillbillies.

• Reply 20 of 34
    I put in a 1000 USD bid for the MacPro. I hope I get it! I intend to repaint it a gloss black. Wouldn't that look cool!!!