Samsung Galaxy Gear smart watch sells 800,000 units in 2 months [u]

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningMan View Post

Ok so how many of you actually used the gear for any amount of time. I got one three days ago and love it, the battery last from 6.30am and still had 58% charge by 11pm, put on charge while I had a shower and check within half an hour and it was fully charged again. I used it for phone calls all day texting and playing with it. Its one thing to say apples version will be better but what are you basing that on. Where is it ? What does it look like?, and what can it do?, no one knows so how can you say it will be better.

A watch that "Still can tell time" for nearly 28 hours? Be still my heart!

• Reply 102 of 115
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Now that every employee of Samsung owns one (in an effort to save face with their bosses) and now that Samsung's global channels are stuffed with units samsung will count as sold, what now? Oh, 800 - 900 units per day moving through the channels. Big whoop!

Nothing to see here folks. Move along.
  • Reply 103 of 115
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

you can be sure that Samsung's announced 800k "sales" are actually just "shipped" - SS has a long documented history of routinely  misrepresenting and flat out lying about such stats (the Apple lawsuit disclosures were damning). so essentially that is the amount of their first production run, now distributed into their global sales channels. for all we know, the actual consumer sales could still be as few as the 50k rumor.

but realistically, there are enough gadget-loving SS fans around the world - especially Asia - to sell a couple hundred K of almost anything SS quickly. after that, tho ...

• Reply 104 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

But that's essentially what the Galaxy Gear is, and Samsung couldn't pull it off at a lower price point or smaller size. The Gear relies on a Note 3 or Galaxy Tab 10.1. Supposedly it will also support the Galaxy S4 and S3 at some point.

I think to sell well, it's a matter less about features, and more about looks. People might buy a $100 "iWatch" that is essentially nothing more than a Nike Flexband that tells time provided that it looks sharp. They might buy a $500 version that is a Siri/notification device, again provided that it looks like a $500 device (e.g. a Movado or ESQ). But first and foremost, it needs to be stylish, and be available in versions that look good on a skinny woman as well as a larger man.

I only mention the Siri integration as a value-add.  The main marker of this is that it tells time (the primary function of a watch). Maybe even with the adds of a stopwatch and alarm integrated into it (again, much like most digital watches now).  None of those require the iPhone (or any device for that matter).  And there is the distinction, the Gear requires that you have it paired to a device, whereas the iWatch (or whatever Apple would call it) does not. It could be its own entity, and if you choose to pair it with your iPhone, you can get those added functions.

I seriously don't think Apple could sell this watch at any price higher than $99.  People just wouldn't buy it (I don't think).

• Reply 105 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

you can be sure that Samsung's announced 800k "sales" are actually just "shipped" - SS has a long documented history of routinely  misrepresenting and flat out lying about such stats (the Apple lawsuit disclosures were damning). so essentially that is the amount of their first production run, now distributed into their global sales channels. for all we know, the actual consumer sales could still be as few as the 50k rumor.

but realistically, there are enough gadget-loving SS fans around the world - especially Asia - to sell a couple hundred K of almost anything SS quickly. after that, tho ...

Exactly.  Plus if the reported 30% return rate is taken into account...

• Reply 106 of 115
    sflocal wrote: »

I don't think Apple did anything of the sort.  Thank the media and so-called industry "moles" for essentially guessing.  Apple did nothing nor said anything about what they were doing.  Of course Tim Cook did mention something about wearable devices but that could be anything.

Really? So, you don’t think Apple registering “iWatch" trademarks in a dozen countries wasn’t stoking the “wearables fever” a bit?
  • Reply 107 of 115
    dnd0ps wrote: »
    The verge is reporting 800,000. I'm confused

Allegedly that number refers to shipped, not sold.
  • Reply 108 of 115
    b9botb9bot Posts: 238member

Samsung may have shipped 800,000, but sold that many. I doubt it. Not when you need a tablet or phone of theres just to make that over priced dumb watch somewhat smart. Who cares if they came out first with it. It's still garbage.

Apple didn't come out first with an MP3 player, Cell phone, or tablet. Look how that worked out for them.

It's not who's first, it is who can make the product that people will actually want to use with features that actually are smart and looks that are great.

Something Samsung doesn't know anything about unless they copy Apple that is.

• Reply 109 of 115

Samsung really just needs to stop spending so much time and money into a truly subpar product and reinvest that time and money into making it better...

http://shoprex.com/phones-and-tablets/smart-watches/samsung-galaxy-gear-mpid5188

• Reply 110 of 115
    Because the Samsung Gear iWatch only works via bluetooth connection with the Samsung Smart Phone, you would be lost if he would loose or forget your cell phone or the battery runs down, unless you would have a totaly independent Sim-card based smart watch, like the M%u2019iWatch Vintage:

This is why real smart guys and girls use the M%u2019iWatch smart watch!
  • Reply 111 of 115
    Because the Samsung Gear iWatch only works via bluetooth connection with the Samsung Smart Phone, you would be lost if you would loose or forget your cell phone or the battery runs down, unless you would have a totaly independent Sim-card based smart watch, like the M%u2019iWatch Vintage:

This is why real smart guys and girls use the M%u2019iWatch smart watch!
  • Reply 113 of 115
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

There are idiots who buy any new fad that comes out in the market.

• Reply 114 of 115

Shipping a product and actually selling a product are two different worlds.  Samsung cooks the books by never releasing actual, honest sales figures.  At least MS employs some transparency by writing down unsold and returned stock.