Rumor: Supplier now building 12.9-inch Apple iPad displays for early 2014 launch

Comments

• Reply 101 of 121
    I think it will be an iPad for a specific audience. I think it could be so useful for education. For teachers, to replace boards in some cases or for university students like me to read their notes more easily
  • Reply 102 of 121

Can't wait for this, bring it on Apple

• Reply 103 of 121
    What is a 12.9 inch iPad going to be better than? 
    Larger screen, keyboard, possibly 2 apps parallel on screen, laptop screen size more portable, possibly specs between 9.7 inch IPad and 11(or 13) inch MacBook Air.
  • Reply 104 of 121
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,644member

If Apple can find a way to make a 12" iPad appealing and usable, I'll find a way to buy it.

• Reply 105 of 121
    Originally Posted by bobborries View Post

That looks more like a 15”.

… 

I want that. Gotta keep telling myself to only get the 13”, because this wouldn’t be portable. Get the 13”, then get the 27” desktop…

• Reply 106 of 121
    Perhaps you'd like to explain why the GPU in the A7 is grossly under performing? Not when compared to other SoC's on the market (which is easily beats) but when compared to the previous 5 Series? Only thing I can think of is Apple hasn't yet "activated" the full performance capabilities of the 6 Series either by underclocking or even having unused cores.

It never ceases to amaze me the predilection some of you have over what is supposedly missing from Apple products. When you're considering buying something, you look at what the seller is offering. If you are looking for a reason not to buy, you'll just focus in what is "missing." If there's a real need for what a missing feature, I can sympathize. But most of the spec whores and hardware geeks are simply getting worked up over some benchmark deficiency, and not a real need.

In any case, "missing performance" does not "prove" the existence of unused cores.
  • Reply 107 of 121
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I’ve been saying this since 2008. It’s not that hard to see where Apple’s headed. I’ve known they would kill off their laptops since before the iPad was even released.

Never.

The 9.7” iPad. And the 7.9” iPad.

Very carefully.

Option+Shift+K should do it. I’ve never understood how Windows users think memorizing Unicode commands is in any way acceptable.

?

7.9” iPad? Too small, too cramped, too stupid, too unusable.

I wasn’t wrong. Hopefully you’ll be.

Since you're such an Einstein and you know where Apple is headed, spill it then, and let's hear it.  Unlike yourself, I don't see Apple killing off their laptops.

• Reply 108 of 121
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member

If you measure the diagonal it seems like it's double, if not a little more, and I don't think a 20" tablet is practical.
  • Reply 109 of 121
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member

I am just going to play with Numbers a bit.

Apple needed a Bigger iPad for Certain type of Activities. Cashier , Display is one of them, designer, medical uses etc.

12.9 " Res at doubling of iPad Air, 4096 x 3072 = 396 PPI

Another Rumored iPhone Devices at less then 5"

4.95" Res at 1.5x of the iPhone 5 , 1704 x 960 = 396 PPI

I am going to guess and play by the rumors, the bigger iPad Pro wont be a Huge hit ( comparatively to iPad Air and Mini ). But will serve its purpose for those special type of usage and be used as a testing and yield ground for its Display Panel for what is properly the "Biggest" iPhone launch in history.

• Reply 110 of 121

Wonder when they start making rumours of a 27 inch iPad and a 5 feet mac.

• Reply 111 of 121
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowdog65 View Post

My thoughts exactly. They need a bigger iphone a lot more than a bigger iPad.

I agree but working on both devices is a good idea. I am very pro choice regarding screen sizes.

• Reply 112 of 121
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Glasses Man View Post

Well, I a happy I put my thoughts out there, even if to run the risk of getting shot down. I know a few creative types too and they seem to have a consensus inline with my post...sure, it may be the niche market that doesn't turn a profit v. the billions served. Yet, what I have stated doesn't really sound too radical, hey I'm not proposing the new SCSI or other latest and greatest protocol, I am just hitting on some feature sets that have been requested time and time again. Ok, take the whole pretentious "Pro" designation out of the equation and rather think of what I humbly mentioned as the iPad f'n kick ars edition.

Go ahead, fire at will:D

I am shooting you down just for mentionning SCSI  :-)

Thanks for bringing back all of my custom PC's memories from the 90's.

• Reply 113 of 121
    Hell, I remember getting a Glyph technologies CD-r SCSI drive in the mid nineties. It was a 2x read/write...or something like that...cost around $500-700 I recall. I also remember getting the Seagate Baracuda 4 GB internal SCSI drive around the same time...that was major stuff, that is one thing I like about the here and now...technology leaps and gains!
  • Reply 114 of 121
    Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I agree but working on both devices is a good idea. I am very pro choice regarding screen sizes.

But Apple isn't. They have to perceive a strong market in order to branch out. That market doesn't seem to be here.

Maybe it's a calculated leak to get Samsung busy wasting time on Giant Tablets.  ;)

• Reply 115 of 121
    Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

Since you're such an Einstein and you know where Apple is headed, spill it then, and let's hear it. 

Already have.

Unlike yourself, I don't see Apple killing off their laptops. 

That’s fine. I’m personally unsure how you can see a simultaneous future for the tablet and the laptop–two portables that do the same thing in the same industries–but that’s just me.

Originally Posted by akqies View Post

If you measure the diagonal it seems like it's double, if not a little more, and I don't think a 20" tablet is practical.

You’re right. And you’re right.

• Reply 116 of 121
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Glasses Man View Post

Hell, I remember getting a Glyph technologies CD-r SCSI drive in the mid nineties. It was a 2x read/write...or something like that...cost around $500-700 I recall. I also remember getting the Seagate Baracuda 4 GB internal SCSI drive around the same time...that was major stuff, that is one thing I like about the here and now...technology leaps and gains!

I'll up the anti. My first 20 Mb hard drive cost $485. Based on my salary at the time that would be about $1500 in todays dollars.
  • Reply 117 of 121
    What is a 12.9 inch iPad going to be better than? 

A 9.7 inch iPad.
  • Reply 118 of 121
    ireland wrote: »
    Yes, and you can hold a bucket of sand with your hands too, but it's not a pleasant experience. This thing will be too big and too heavy. Not happening. If Apple does release a 13" iOS device it won't be designed to be held in your hands; it won't be an iPad Pro.

If they can get it to roughly the weight of the iPad 2, it's a goer.
  • Reply 119 of 121
    snowdog65 wrote: »
    No, it would be heavier. When people guess, they fail at math.

A 13" iPad has almost double the screen area, weight tends to track screen area, so it would be close to about double the weight of an iPad air. A bit less since some components don't need an increase.   They could probably do it a little under 2lbs.

But it isn't just weight that makes something unwieldy, the larger size would exert more leverage, it is less portable, more of a handful.  It just seems to inelegant and pointless.

Unless Apple is building a true convertible (with keyboard/mouse capability, file system access), 13" seems too big for the current capabilities.

Liquid Metal...
  • Reply 120 of 121
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    akqies wrote: »

Panasonic made one, with 2 hour battery life. No typo here

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/8/5080136/panasonic-4k-toughpad-tablet-specifications-price-release-date

And you'll need gorilla arms, the guy on the left isn't smiling for nothing: