Apple updates iMovie for Mac with support for older video cards

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday released an update to its consumer-level video editing and management software iMovie for Mac, adding support for machines running legacy video cards.

iMovie

iMovie for Mac version 10.0.1 comes two months after Apple first announced the latest major revision to the software, which introduced an all-new look for OS X 10.9 Mavericks, along with hefty feature additions.

In today's update, Apple has expanded compatibility with more Macs, allowing those with legacy machines to install and use the app with older video cards. In addition, the new software addresses a reliability issue that would cause issues when updating projects and events created in previous versions of iMovie.

When Apple debuted iMovie for Mac version 10 in September, the company announced that its iLife and iWork suites would go free.

Along with the rollout of iMovie for Mac, Apple also debuted iMovie Theater, which allows users to share clips, trailers and movies across devices. The service is based in iCloud and can be accessed from nearly all Apple products, including a dedicated channel on the Apple TV.

iMovie for Mac version 10.0.1 comes in at 1.94GB and can be downloaded for free from the Mac App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    It doesn't work with my 2002 iMac running Leopard. Fail! /s
  • Reply 2 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by akqies View Post

Time for a new iMac! Success!

• Reply 3 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by akqies View Post

Neither does... well anything from the last 5 years.

• Reply 4 of 31
    Neither does... well anything from the last 5 years.

:p

(It won't play as an embedded video. Why do up loaders do that?)
  • Reply 5 of 31
    My last pay check was $9500 working 12 hours a week online. My sisters friend has been averaging 15k for months now and she works about 20 hours a week. I can't believe how easy it was once I tried it out. This is what I do,,,,,,, www.Rush64.com
  • Reply 6 of 31

My last pay check was $9500 working 12 hours a week online. My sisters friend has been averaging 15k for months now and she works about 20 hours a week. I can't believe how easy it was once I tried it out. This is what I do,,,,,,, www.Rush64.com

• Reply 7 of 31

My last pay check was $9500 working 12 hours a week online. My sisters friend has been averaging 15k for months now and she works about 20 hours a week. I can't believe how easy it was once I tried it out. This is what I do,,,,,,, Rush64.com

• Reply 8 of 31

hi

• Reply 9 of 31

My last pay check was $9500 working 12 hours a week online. My sisters friend has been averaging 15k for months now and she works about 20 hours a week. I can't believe how easy it was once I tried it out. This is what I do,,,,,,, JOBS84.COM

• Reply 10 of 31
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    A better option would be to build machines that allow people to upgrade their video card.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    bsenka wrote: »
    A better option would be to build machines that allow people to upgrade their video card.

A better option for whom?
  • Reply 12 of 31
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Now installs on my iMac 8,1 (2008). Didn’t before and told me my video card was too old. I’m happy at least. Takes a lot for me to fly into some kind of rage over something Apple does or doesn’t do. 

• Reply 13 of 31
    akqies wrote: »

I remember the "big cat" era of OS X releases. That was so early 2013.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    I remember the "big cat" era of OS X releases. That was so early 2013.

The era of naming them after the pluralization of Top Gun characters is so much better. Next one will be Icemans followed by Gooses.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Yeah that makes a lot of sense, put a new tech video card into an otherwise outdated Mac. Mind you I'm the guy that has been pushing for XMac for years now but even I understand the futility of trying to up date old hardware with new video cards.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    A better option for whom?

Better for everyone, even if they don't choose to take advantage of it.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Yeah that makes a lot of sense, put a new tech video card into an otherwise outdated Mac. Mind you I'm the guy that has been pushing for XMac for years now but even I understand the futility of trying to up date old hardware with new video cards.

It does make a lot of sense. A couple hundred dollars for an incremental upgrade is a lot better than replacing the whole computer every couple of years.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Define outdated hardware.

Any system with a PCI-E 2.0 based system is not outdated.

• Reply 19 of 31
    Better for everyone, even if they don't choose to take advantage of it.

You think increased costs (and potential size increase and weakness, especially in notebooks) is better for everyone when very few consumers do HW updates, especially when it comes to the GPU, is better for everyone? Sounds like it's better for you for everyone to pay for you to have an option that isn't likely to be useful if my previous Mac Pro's GPU options are any indication.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    You think increased costs (and potential size increase and weakness, especially in notebooks) is better for everyone when very few consumers do HW updates, especially when it comes to the GPU, is better for everyone? Sounds like it's better for you for everyone to pay for you to have an option that isn't likely to be useful if my previous Mac Pro's GPU options are any indication.

Don't stupid, the point is to reduce costs. People don't do it anymore because Apple is producing designed obsolescence. They used to, all the time, and it was quite inexpensive.