Samsung looks to halt damages retrial after USPTO action invalidates key Apple patent

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by simtub View Post

Such a coincidence.. That the patent was invalidated at this point in time. Is samscum now resorting to bribery - paying off certain figures within the USPTO?

What do you mean "Now"?

I wouldn't be surprised if they've been pulling strings with the judge as well.

• Reply 22 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMacMan View Post

The USPTO is a joke. They're morons who are not qualified to issue patents that's exactly why patents can be invalidated. If those idiots perform their job right, we'd e better off.

This will only get worse not better because of these f$&;/:g idiots. I when someone first mentioned someone is on the take, I laughed. But now I wonder, what timing.

I think another bigger issue that no one is talking about is envy. We're a capitalistic society, the land of opportunity, but I think that if someone/company becomes wildly successful, there's so much subconscious envy that someone want to take them down. How else can you explain all that negative press about Apple? Some folks want to cut them down to size. Shame shame. Microsoft was in the same place when they were the king. I hate this about our society. I am an Apple fan to be fair, but if the patent system isn't fixed, over time innovation will be stifled. After all, should someone invent an idea only later have someone else steal it out right without consequences. I mean for Christ sake, Samsung is being used by a vacuum cleaner manufacturer, why is there doubt that Samsung are thieves?

I hope you're reading this USPTO, you have a severe case of cranial rectitis.

Bring back Einstein.

No seriously, I'm sure the USPTO have approved a patent on the reanimation of dead beings by now. If anyone will know how to do it they will. All they need to do is setup a shell company and buy the patent... oh wait... now I get why the patent system is so broken. ;-)

• Reply 23 of 39
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Pay the money Samsung, and if the patent finally does become invalid then Apple can pay you back. Getting sick of all your "drama".

If a patent is later found invalid the now non-infringer doesn't get back any money they already paid.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    freerange wrote: »
    Judge Koh has created a circus act. There were 4 or 5 patents that were to be part of this trial and she would only allow the trial to proceed with this one patent when it should have been the whole group.

And it's still "the whole group" that damages are being computed for. You're confusing this with consideration for additional lost profits. Only one of the patents qualified for that, which Apple agreed to before the re-trial even started, but all the infringed utility patents (I think there were 5 but perhaps 4) will have damage awards applied. Koh didn't toss any out.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    vqrovqro Posts: 66member
    FBI or some other investigative body should look into this. This is just too much of a coincidence.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

So sick of Samsung. I will not buy anything from those immoral bastards.

Funny how you say that. I bet you already have products with Samsung's parts in them. Like...oh I don't know...most of Apple's products?

How about you switch your statement to "Samsung's final end user products". Many current electronics out on the market are teaming with Samsung components.  

You cant really get around the grasp of a mega corporation like Samsung. 

• Reply 27 of 39
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

I'm aware, but I bought the product from Apple, allowing them to choose the suppliers they deem fit and giving them the majority of the profit. Unless I'm Amish, it's stupid and pointless to do it another way. I don't mind Samsung the manufacturer of great components.  I do mind Samsung the corporation that rips off other companies ideas to make something cheaper with no vision of their own.

• Reply 28 of 39
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    If Samsung is guilty of stealing bounce back and pinch to zoom, then isn't Google guilty of the same??
  • Reply 29 of 39
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    freerange wrote: »
    Judge Koh has created a circus act. There were 4 or 5 patents that were to be part of this trial and she would only allow the trial to proceed with this one patent when it should have been the whole group. This thing is going to drag on into the next century! Here's the reality, Samsung knew these patents existed yet slavishly and meticulously copied them, along with just about every single design element of the iPhone and OS, all the while thumbing their noses at the law. This is the consistent pattern of their behavior with companies and products around the world.

Don't forget leaking confidential licence agreement information, obtained by discovery to Samsung executives contrary to specific court orders that this information was for attorney's eyes only.

When are they going to sanction Google's bunch of ratbag lawyers?
  • Reply 30 of 39
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

So sick of Samsung. I will not buy anything from those immoral bastards.

Don't buy any Apple products then, because you know what's inside....

• Reply 31 of 39
    SamDung lied to the court ...... Apple nails them .....

http://www.fosspatents.com/2013/11/apple-says-samsungs-stalling-strategy.html
  • Reply 32 of 39
    It is the lack of moral of damn lawyers who represent Samscum. They know all the dirty tricks and where to pull the strings to keep their meters running. The lawyers ethnics should be punished by the legal system. I don't think those fat asses and copycats in Korea knows all the dirty tricks in our screwed up patent and legal system... I dont blame on the Judge this time, of course... Unless she keep the trial go and tell everyone this is an invalid patent after the lawyers clocked in a more fee.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    SamDung lied in their court filing .....

Apple called them out on it, judge for yourself .....

• Reply 34 of 39
    SamDung lied in their court filing .....

Apple called them out on it, judge for yourself .....

• Reply 35 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by b9bot View Post

I think the patent office should only be able to invalidate a patent once and if it is overturned then that patent should be valid and no other challenges can be made once overturned. 

Imagine if Samsung gets a patent it shouldn't, Samnunsg (totally not Samsung TM) challenges, challenge gets rejected, patent is reinstated.

Now Apple wants to challenge it, but according to your rule: " no other challenges can be made once overturned".

• Reply 36 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by water cooler View Post

The lawyers ethnics should be punished by the legal system.

Autocorrect fail :p

I assure you lawyers are no ethnic group.

• Reply 37 of 39
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

No duh. But the I'm not buying THEIR products. I don't care that they manufacturer for others. They do a great job at that. What I do care about is when they steal others intellectual property with impunity and then act like it's not a big deal. It IS a big deal. So no, I don't purchase their branded products in the hope that they will stop stealing. You the consumer reinforce their unethical business practices when you buy their end products.

Concerning their dealings with building components... as far as I've seen they've done well there (besides possible passing information to the mobile division on what Apple is up to).  Recently they were surprised by Apple's 64 bit A7 even while they were manufacturing it. Good. That's how that should work.

I don't want to totally starve them in everything they do, just where they do it unethically.

• Reply 38 of 39
    Bribery works wonders, even at the level of the SCOTUS..Bribing the USPTO should be a lot easier than bribing the Supremes.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by vqro View Post

FBI or some other investigative body should look into this. This is just too much of a coincidence.

The investigative bodies are just as open to bribery as the other governent agencies.