Google Play Newsstand launches on Android, coming to Apple's iOS in 2014

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Android on Wednesday received its counterpart to Apple's own iOS Newsstand in the form of Google Play Newsstand, a news and magazine subscription hub that will also arrive on iPhone and iPad in 2014.

Newsstand

Like Apple's Newwstand for iOS, Google Play Newsstand allows users to subscribe to magazines and other publications that are all presented in one convenient place. But Google's offering goes one step further with the inclusion of its Currents service, offering a Flipboard-like presentation of the latest news from various Web sources.

Newspapers are also included in Google Play Newsstand, including The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal and the Financial Times. Paid subscriptions are available, and many titles come with free 30-day trials.

Newsstand

In all, Google says the Play Newsstand has about 1,900 free and paid publications, which also include titles like The New Yorker, Wired, and Vanity Fair.

Google already has a dedicated Currents app for Apple's iOS platform, but a full-fledged Play Newsstand will be arriving on iOS in early 2014, the company has pledged. There, it will compete with Apple's own built-in Newsstand, which offers free and paid magazines and newspapers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Can't wait until Newsstand launches on the Appstore (yes, I'm sarcastically referring to Amazon).

• Reply 2 of 49
    Why would anyone want this on an iPad or iPhone? If I wanted a subscription I would use the iOS version already on my phone and not have to worry about Google creeping on my reading habits.
  • Reply 3 of 49
    googleco couldn't even come up with a more original name?

geek engineers have no imagination...
  • Reply 4 of 49

So, wait, why can’t they be sued for this? App Store and Appstore are “different” (burn the judge), but Newsstand and Newsstand aren’t. 

• Reply 5 of 49
    Free stuff is fine.
    But they cannot compete as it is price + that 30% fee.
    A win win for Apple.
  • Reply 6 of 49
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Why would anyone want this on an iPad or iPhone? If I wanted a subscription I would use the iOS version already on my phone and not have to worry about Google creeping on my reading habits.

Not everybody uses everything Apple. Some people use both. Same with Kindle books.
  • Reply 7 of 49
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    So, wait, why can’t they be sued for this? App Store and Appstore are “different” (burn the judge), but Newsstand and Newsstand aren’t. 

They would have to sue every Pakistani Newsstand in NYC then based upon your logic.
  • Reply 8 of 49
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

They would have to sue every Pakistani Newsstand in NYC then based upon your logic.

There are multiple Pakistani newsstands in New York City that are entirely digital and have no ties to the physical world of media? 

I suppose next you’ll say Microsoft can sue (or be sued by) New York City for having millions of windows.

• Reply 9 of 49
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    There are multiple Pakistani newsstands in New York City that are entirely digital and have no ties to the physical world of media? 

I suppose next you’ll say Microsoft can sue (or be sued by) New York City for having millions of windows.

Those points aren't exactly analogous.
  • Reply 10 of 49
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Those points aren't exactly analogous.

Exactly. I don’t know why he brought up physical newspaper stands in the first place.

• Reply 11 of 49
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

So Google renames their "magazines" app to "Newsstand", and their "Gallery" app to "photos". I sense a trend here. 

Seriously, have some fucking originality. No need to ape Apple even in the naming department, all the time. It's always the same story- Apple does all the heavy lifting, and takes all the risks in making something mainstream/the standard, and others lazily just ape it after the concept has proven successful. 

• Reply 12 of 49
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Literally tons of prior art, and one buys the same things, just in digital form.
  • Reply 13 of 49
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Apple should create a search engine and call it "Googol".
  • Reply 14 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

So Google renames their "magazines" app to "Newsstand", and their "Gallery" app to "photos". I sense a trend here. 

Seriously, have some fucking originality. No need to ape Apple even in the naming department, all the time. It's always the same story- Apple does all the heavy lifting, and takes all the risks in making something mainstream/the standard, and others lazily just ape it after the concept has proven successful. 

Do you consider the names "Newsstand" and "Photos" novel to begin with? 

• Reply 15 of 49
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jungmark wrote: »
    Apple should create a search engine and call it "Googol".

That's idiotic. A newsstand has historically been a place to buy periodicals, so obviously in the digital age it's not unique nor really creative to call a app to purchase digital periodicals a 'newsstand', but google is a number and it's use for a search engine is unique.
  • Reply 16 of 49
    Google Play Newsstand?!!!!

Those idiots don't have a clue to come up with some proper product name! WTF really!

Jelly bean, kitfuc.kingkat .... LOL
  • Reply 17 of 49
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Literally tons of prior art, and one buys the same things, just in digital form.

And newsstand.co.uk has been providing newsstand services in electronic form since 1995

Interesting that Google must have copied Apple and should be sued for it, but Apple did not copy newsstand.

• Reply 18 of 49
    Just one more Google App that I will not be installing.
  • Reply 19 of 49
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I wish Apple would make Newsstand into a news aggregator for free and paid content. Why not make it like an RSS reader where you can add feeds from news sources like AppleInsider and it would show a wall of articles with previews of the page content instead of just the titles using the same kind of method that Safari Reader uses to pull the main text from a page? I personally don't like free trials of magazines, I'd rather that articles were published individually with some free and others paid. So if you subscribe to Esquire, the aggregate feed would fill up with Esquire articles and some would be premium articles, some free. To get the premium content, you'd either be billed monthly or pay per article with an in-app purchase. Google's Current seems to be a feed aggregator like this but it uses time-limited trials too.

The more I build up the news wall, the more that content can be recommended or tailored in future. This is something that Yahoo should get in on with their Feedly tech. They can have videos like the WSJ can add interviews. They can have ads (iAds) instead of payment.

Right now, Newsstand just does the usual boring subscribe to each publication and you have to go into each magazine and filter through the whole publication to find something interesting.
  • Reply 20 of 49
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Marvin wrote: »
    I wish Apple would make Newsstand into a news aggregator for free and paid content. Why not make it like an RSS reader where you can add feeds from news sources

I believe that's what Google's NewsStand offers but not entirely certain. I think that's what the AI article is saying anyway.