Rumor: Apple field testing 'iPhone 6' with 4.9-inch display

Comments

• Reply 21 of 137
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    I can see iPhone moving to a multi size lineup, just like iPad. iPhone 6 in 4.9" & 4", plus the 5c moves to free. Apple doesn't have a good track record with the XL name (remember Mac XL?).

That was a very long time ago but has anyone ever had a good track record with an Xtra Large product line? I don't really Nintendo doing well after releasing the 3DS XL.
  • Reply 22 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Honestly who would want such a large cell phone? I'm still using my iPhone 4 because it is significantly smaller than the current offerings. If I need a big screen I can grab an iPad, for something to slip in ones pants small is beautiful.

Exactly what I have thought for a while. I don't want to talk to a brick. 

• Reply 23 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akqies View Post

What's really amazing is that you notice the weigh and thickness difference going to the lighter and thinner design but it's nothing compared to how much you noticed how heavy and thick the 4/4S after using the 5/5S for a couple weeks. It's almost shocking.

I know, when I opened my 4, I thought it was amazing. I remember SJ at the Keynote marveling at the workmanship and comparing it only to a Leica camera. He was right. I was impressed with the glass front and aluminum buttons.

But I made the mistake of holding the 5 I bought for my daughter and I started to look at the 4 a little differently. I thought the glass on the back was a bit silly (way too fragile) and it was also heavy.

I know these are "first-world" problems but the difference was so noticeable...I wanted one straight away. 

"...almost shocking," is not too strong a description. :)

• Reply 24 of 137
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

I've tried both current MIphones when I was in China, the Mi2 with a 4.3" display and the Mi3 with a 5" display.

Personally, I thought the 4.3" display was pretty much the perfect screen size and form factor for a phone.  The 5" was nice but just too big in your hand and was hard to use with one hand.

If anything is going to kill the iPhone in China, it will be the miPhone.  They can sell 100k units in 83 seconds there.  Insanely good voice recognition to Chinese Native speakers and developed by the Google exec. that founded the Android Platform.  IT's the phone made for the Chinese public, and 1/2 the cost of the iPhone 5s with about the same or better performance.  pretty compelling option for someone who lives in China.  Maybe not for any other country though.

• Reply 25 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I'm still using my iPhone 4 because it is significantly smaller ...

If it were not for a sticky home button, I'd be perfectly content.   I have no need, or desire, for a larger phone.  

• Reply 26 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I've tried both current MIphones when I was in China, the Mi2 with a 4.3" display and the Mi3 with a 5" display.

Personally, I thought the 4.3" display was pretty much the perfect screen size and form factor for a phone.  The 5" was nice but just too big in your hand and was hard to use with one hand.

If anything is going to kill the iPhone in China, it will be the miPhone.  They can sell 100k units in 83 seconds there.  Insanely good voice recognition to Chinese Native speakers and developed by the Google exec. that founded the Android Platform.  IT's the phone made for the Chinese public, and 1/2 the cost of the iPhone 5s with about the same or better performance.  pretty compelling option for someone who lives in China.  Maybe not for any other country though.

You almost don't need any other country! :)

China's GDP increasing, on average, 10% a year and half the population is still at or under the poverty level.

That means a lot of growth potential! :)

• Reply 27 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TidalSoup View Post

If it were not for a sticky home button, I'd be perfectly content.   I have no need, or desire, for a larger phone.  

I felt like iOS7 ran super slow on my 4. Do you get that same problem?

• Reply 28 of 137
    akqies wrote: »
    What's really amazing is that you notice the weigh and thickness difference going to the lighter and thinner design but it's nothing compared to how much you noticed how heavy and thick the 4/4S after using the 5/5S for a couple weeks. It's almost shocking.

My wife got the 4S last year when the 5 dropped the 4S to $99. Wanted 16gb and thought the $99 would be 8gb, so picked it up the weekend before the 5 announcement at Target for $99. Then when my 5 came in she was like "how does this feel even better/lighter?"

The 5 is truly an engineering feat.
  • Reply 29 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

My wife got the 4S last year when the 5 dropped the 4S to $99. Wanted 16gb and thought the $99 would be 8gb, so picked it up the weekend before the 5 announcement at Target for $99. Then when my 5 came in she was like "how does this feel even better/lighter?"

The 5 is truly an engineering feat.

You didn't say if she ended up with your 5? :)

• Reply 30 of 137
    I know, when I opened my 4, I thought it was amazing. I remember SJ at the Keynote marveling at the workmanship comparing only to a Leica camera. He was right. I was amazed at the glass and aluminum buttons.

But I made the mistake of holding the 5 I bought for my daughter and I started to look at the 4 a little differently. I thought the glass on the back was a bit silly and it was also heavy. I know these are "first-world" problems but the difference was so noticeable...I wanted one straight away. 

"...almost shocking," is not too strong a description. :)

It's truly amazing how technology can forever warp our perceptions. Not just about electronics but other technologies like textiles, construction, transportation, agriculture and animal husbandry, to name a few. I can buy more calories than I can eat in a sitting (or probably should eat in a day) without wasting any calories to get it. For better or for worse our perceptions are forever altered.

Case in point, a few months back I was I was going to shave with my Gillette Fusion Power razor but I found that the AA battery inside the handle was dead. Not having a battery offhand in which to replace it I was miffed that I wouldn't be able to shave that day. It was only moments later that it occurred to me the razor still worked perfectly fine even without the vibrating action. It wasn't a long time but it was long enough to make the "Duh doy!" impression.
  • Reply 31 of 137

If it happens then I'll be one of the first in line.

• Reply 32 of 137
    You didn't say if she ended up with your 5? :)

Ha. No. Told her to exchange it. Didn't want to spend the $100 more. Has finally come around to my line of thinking that $100 over 2 years is irrelevant. She will be getting a 6 when I do. :)
  • Reply 33 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

If that created a good product then yes, but I don't see 4.9" is a good size for an iPhone. Going from 3.5 to 4" made a huge difference, going from 4 to 4.6 or 4.7" would make an ever bigger difference (yes I know they'll be keeping the 4" iPhone around, and that it will remain the more popular model).

One thing you do have to realize that Apple does use the market to define what people want out of their phone.   If older people and younger people are buying larger phones (older people are increasing in population and smartphone penetration and have more disposable income, and younger people are the 'first phone' generation... capture them and you have them for life), then Apple will strive to match their needs.   Look at the iPod Mini/Nano/Shuffles... delivered to compete with all those thumb drive MP3 players, as there was a niche for high active people to have something less clunky than a iPod Classic.

Apple doesn't say one size fits all... Apple says it picks the right size(s) for the consumer;-)

I also think the 4s will stick around... but only for contractual obligations... it's popular for it's price... not form factor.   the 5c will evolve to be all that the 5s is now (including touchID and M7),  The '5s' will disappear (like the iPad 4), and the 6 will be 'new.'  What size screen, I don't know, but my guess is it will be the same pixel count as the 5s.   If they are able to reduce the bezel a bit, the size of the phone will be minor.  I think all the 5 and 5s manufacturing of the final glass assembly is leading to that 'edge to edge' screen (waiting on the display technology to shrink to allow it to butt up against the outer frame/antenna.)

Quote:

I have my doubts that using the same resolution on a display that is slightly over 50% more area would be a good experience. Perhaps if they were going to scale the iPad to a higher resolution down the road and this was something they did first on a smaller display scale then I could see it happening, but it all seems very doubtful to me.

the Pixel wars are pretty much over.   It's really now about color accuracy and performance.   I'm not keen on downgrading 'retina' definitions, but if Apple can show that the actual visual presentation is better than the current 5s in the global scheme of things (sort of like the MHz wars... a fast chip isn't necessarily a great performer),  Apple will sell it.

Personally, I think the next iPhone will use new screen technology.

• Reply 34 of 137
    the Pixel wars are pretty much over.   It's really now about color accuracy and performance.   I'm not keen on downgrading 'retina' definitions, but if Apple can show that the actual visual presentation is better than the current 5s in the global scheme of things (sort of like the MHz wars... a fast chip isn't necessarily a great performer),  Apple will sell it.

Personally, I think the next iPhone will use new screen technology.

Pretty much, but I'd think 260 something pixels in a 5" phone would be very, very low. Would that even be Retina anymore with a normal holding distance?
  • Reply 35 of 137
    Quote:

It's truly amazing how technology can forever warp our perceptions. Not just about electronics but other technologies like textiles, construction, transportation, agriculture and animal husbandry, to name a few. I can buy more calories than I can eat in a sitting (or probably should eat in a day) without wasting any calories to get it. For better or for worse our perceptions are forever altered.

Case in point, a few months back I was I was going to shave with my Gillette Fusion Power razor but I found that the AA battery inside the handle was dead. Not having a battery offhand in which to replace it I was miffed that I wouldn't be able to shave that day. It was only moments later that it occurred to me the razor still worked perfectly fine even without the vibrating action. It wasn't a long time but it was long enough to make the "Duh doy!" impression.

Don't feel too bad, I do similar things 3-4 times a week! :) I often think to myself, if there is one way to do something correctly, why do I have to do it incorrectly 3 times first? For example, I don't think I have ever plugged in a USB cable correctly the first time. It is always upside down and never goes in correctly the first time! :)

Just to add to your "calories and perceptions altered" comment(s)... one can go to McDonald's (Ugh!) and for $3 buy 3,000+ calories, for $3 of whole foods it's about 300 calories. Not to sound too judgmental but, somehow this is a good thing? :)

Best

• Reply 36 of 137
    For example, I don't think I have ever plugged in a USB cable correctly the first time. It is always upside down and never goes in correctly the first time! :)

If this ever starts happening with Lightning cables seek professional help immediately. :D
  • Reply 37 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

Notice how the 4.94 screen size in the image is roughly the same size as the entire iPhone 5. To me there's good reason to think the iPhone 6's front will be all screen — So same size as iPhone 5 in the end and not a bigger phone at all.

I agree.   This mockup shows this perfectly...

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/03/04/fresh-mockups-of-the-iphone-6-with-a-4-6-inch-edge-to-edge-display/

I really like the form factor of the iPhone 5/5s and hope that it doesn't get larger.  That said a bigger screen is always welcome. 

• Reply 38 of 137

?If the dimensions become any larger... it'll be sad. It'll sell like an iPhone, but it'll no longer be the iPhone.

• Reply 39 of 137
    Quote:

If this ever starts happening with Lightning cables seek professional help immediately. image

Now that's funny! :)

Will do, thanks.

I did think of Lightning connector as I was writing my post! :)

• Reply 40 of 137
    4.9 nice if rumors come true I have a 5s for sale