How do we distribute our DVDs by way of the Internet if now that we can't burn DVDs in iMovie?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

I am totally perplexed. How do I possibly distribute my DVDs (sell to people who do not have internet) and burn them if I upgrade to the new iMovie 10 if I can't burn DVDs iMovie 10. 

Second question, Is there a way I can at least sell/distribute my DVDs in a protected way to my clients over the Internet to those who can actually have the bandwidth to get them...

I have looked into it about a year ago and it was totally cost prohibitive.

My best-selling self published books are now on the iTunes store because of the iBooks author software. So how do we do this with DVDs since Apple's taking away optical drives in the new Macs and not allowing us to burn DVDs on iMovie.

I'm sure Final Cut Pro X is going to not be able to burn DVDs in the future update.

Just in case someone at Apple is actually reading these forums, Apple, please give us some options here. Instead of taking everything away, why don't you add things so that we can move on to something new that works better than what we already have. 

I for one do not want to or can afford to spend $10-100 a month to subscribe to Netflix and Hulu plus to get my video content. I rather watch DVDs at home at my convenience.

Any help from video experts out there smarter than me is much appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Originally Posted by dmfett View Post

So how do we do this with DVDs since Apple's taking away optical drives in the new Macs and not allowing us to burn DVDs on iMovie.

You don’t. You get over DVDs entirely or you use third party software. The spinning disc died in the naughties. 

I’m sure there are plenty of softwares left to do this that aren’t from Apple.

• Reply 2 of 7
    dmfett wrote: »
    I am totally perplexed. How do I possibly distribute my DVDs (sell to people who do not have internet) and burn them if I upgrade to the new iMovie 10 if I can't burn DVDs iMovie 10. 

Is DVD the only way? Would a .mpeg2 on a stick be fast and cheaper?
    Second question, Is there a way I can at least sell/distribute my DVDs in a protected way to my clients over the Internet to those who can actually have the bandwidth to get them...

Well, you could send them an encrypted disc image, on any media you prefer.
    I have looked into it about a year ago and it was totally cost prohibitive.

My best-selling self published books are now on the iTunes store because of the iBooks author software. So how do we do this with DVDs since Apple's taking away optical drives in the new Macs and not allowing us to burn DVDs on iMovie.

iMovie isn't designed for that. It's more for short clips.
    I'm sure Final Cut Pro X is going to not be able to burn DVDs in the future update.

I'd doubt that. As much as they dislike BR they added that option as well. Besides, there's nothing special about a DVD. Read up on how it's structured and you can even compile a DVD if you convert to MPEG2 and break it up in pieces. There's a ton of free software out there for creating a DVD structure.
    Just in case someone at Apple is actually reading these forums, Apple, please give us some options here.

Give feedback at:
    http://www.apple.com/feedback/finalcutpro.html
    http://www.apple.com/feedback/imovie.html
    http://www.apple.com/feedback/dvdstudiopro.html

Instead of taking everything away, why don't you add things so that we can move on to something new that works better than what we already have.

They are doing that, by killing, yep, DVD. It's really outdated tech, even for those without Internet access.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    dmfettdmfett Posts: 141member

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions.

I might remind Tallest Skil that my website was established in 1996. And we were one of the pioneers out there with the computer world. I'm well aware of the technology what's good and what isn't. I prefer DVDs even with high-speed Internet.

But I'm talking reality here. I can't tell you how many people that I deal with do not have computers and do not have Internet. Therefore they have to have DVDs to watch our shows. And these people pay the bills on our website and our farm.

So thank goodness for now, I have accessibility of burning DVDs with iDVD and iMovie nine will continue to do so as long as I'm able to.

I totally disagree that DVDs went out in the 90s. Most people don't even know what the Internet was in the 90s.  VHS tapes were the ones that everybody were using for viewing videos. DVDs did not come into fashion until late 90s maybe early 2000. Anyhow that's history as I remember it.

• Reply 4 of 7
    dmfettdmfett Posts: 141member

Question this is for distributing my DVDs by way of electronic media much like I do my 2 e-books. ( http://www.peafowl.com/rapidcart/download.html )

I could distribute my DVDs on this page (that I notated about this paragraph) but the problem is the file is going to be too big for a DVD that's an hour and a half long.

So how do I do it and find a program that would make the DVD electronic file readable by any computer tablet or phone and make it small enough that people can actually download an hour and a half video?

I can use this wonderful program, rapid cart that I use within rapid Weaver on my web design.

• Reply 5 of 7
    dmfett wrote: »
    So how do I do it and find a program that would make the DVD electronic file readable by any computer tablet or phone and make it small enough that people can actually download an hour and a half video?

Handbrake.fr

It's open source and runs on all 3 major platforms.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Handbrake.fr

It's open source and runs on all 3 major platforms.

If we’re talking ripping from DVDs, he’ll need VLC (unfortunately) too, for the proper libraries. If we’re talking converting MPEG2 video, just HandBrake.

• Reply 7 of 7
    If we’re talking ripping from DVDs, he’ll need VLC (unfortunately) too, for the proper libraries. If we’re talking converting MPEG2 video, just HandBrake.

Macrovision and all that crap you mean? But he's creating the content himself, no? Then there isn't any protection on it, as you can't do that yourself.

http://www.videohelp.com

Awful site, but at the same time does have good info.