Rumor: Apple field testing 'iPhone 6' with 4.9-inch display

Comments

• Reply 41 of 137
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Good. After using a Nexus 5 for a while (4.95"), I actually personally like the size, and have gotten used to it. My dad has been complaining that he wants a larger screen for a while, but I don't want to switch him over from iOS to Android, because of many reasons. I really do hope they release a phone with a screen size like this next year. Anything larger would be a no-go. 

• Reply 42 of 137
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Kuo does not believe the Cupertino, Calif.-based company will extend the iPhone display beyond the 5-inch diagonal mark due to their "unwavering principle of one hand use."

The unwavering principle, which would be wavered on making a 4.9" phone. They can't make a 4.9" phone for everyone so it would require two sizes for each model. iPhone 6C, iPad Nano 6C, iPhone 6, iPad Nano 6.
    Not much is known about the so-called "iPhone 6,"

Presumably someone has seen it though to be able to state that it has a 4.9" screen. Because if you hadn't seen it then how would you be able to state that. Unless...

Nah, it couldn't just be total bullsh*t yet again, could it? Again? I mean, it's been so many times that surely after this many years, people couldn't fall for it again. Is it too much to ask for a photo before these rumors get published?
    Many industry observers believe that Apple must increase the size of the iPhone's display

This is the first of us hearing about it. No wait, hang on, this is the 14th? time we've heard about it. Whatever happened to the candy bar iPhone?

http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/10/06/supply.checks.suggest.candy.bar.nano.iphone/

It was in the supply chain! Apparently.
    in order to better match up with larger-screened devices from competitors like Motorola and Samsung whose displays routinely exceed 5 inches

Yeah in order to match up with lower selling competitors, they need to hurry up and pull their socks down or they're going to get left ahead in this industry. The warning signs are all there: record sales, supplies struggling to meet demand. It's about time they made an iPhone that has a lower market appeal so they can start meeting demand and overfill the retail channels.

4.3" is the limit of one-handed use for a single phone model.

Same form factor, same resolution, 4.3" IGZO edge-to-edge display, the display acts like a camera so that Facetime gets eye contact, squeeze the top and bottom bezels down a little.

WSJ review: evolutionary not revolutionary. Oooh good job WSJ, top reporting.

They'd have to surround the pixels of the IGZO display with material that absorbs light and designed or positioned to ignore the illuminating light. This would give a 1136x640 resolution image capture. Maybe not great quality but it depends on how much light it can capture. Even if the capture pellets are the same size as a pixel color component, that would be about 1/4 of the surface area of the 4.3" display. The home button can't go away when it has touch ID now.
  • Reply 43 of 137
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akqies View Post

What's really amazing is that you notice the weigh and thickness difference going to the lighter and thinner design but it's nothing compared to how much you noticed how heavy and thick the 4/4S after using the 5/5S for a couple weeks. It's almost shocking.

Absolutely. And my experience in going back and forth with my Air and my iPad 3 was similar.

Though visually the 4/4s is still the better looking phone to my eyes, with the 5s closing the gap that had opened with the 5 (I wanted the LTE so the 5 was the choice)..

Oh and were I to once again (my iPad 3 was LTE, hardly used that feature) want a large screen useable sized LTE connected device? I'd get an LTE retina mini.

• Reply 44 of 137
    xgmanxgman Posts: 159member
    That's a horrible mock up. No resemblance to what this would actually look like.
  • Reply 45 of 137

My priority is device size, the bigger the display that fits onto a pocketable size the better. I have just moved from a 4S to a 5S and I notice that it does not fit jacket pockets quite as well so I would regret any further increase in size.

I think there is a niche for phablets but I suspect it is with those that don't, for whatever reason, own both a smartphone and a tablet (as in an iPad/Mini sized device). In that case, I can see that a compromise on pocketability would increase usability for a variety of tasks. In my case, I would take my iPad if I expected to need a bigger display.

The interesting question is whether Apple would choose to play into this niche, whether they would see it as a utility device or as a poor compromise for all tasks (or the net loss of one device sale). There is some insight into their thinking from the differing default software on iPhone and iPad (eg compass, calculator plus the camera fit of course) but perhaps an Apple phablet would be more ph- than -ablet.

• Reply 46 of 137
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuddyRevell View Post

The current iPhone design has too much top and bottom bezel for a large-screen phone. It would be almost as long as that Android with a 5.5 in screen.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dnd0ps View Post

I think the bezels will be reduced. Question is, what about the resolution?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

I don't want a bigger phone, but a bigger screen is always nice. The only way they can do this (and I've been saying this for at least since the iPhone 5 rumors) is to make the thing ALL SCREEN. This would be a crazy achievement if they can do it since they would have to embed the TouchID, speaker, camera, and proximity sensor into and behind the screen, or possibly on the very edges of it. That would be pretty amazing though.

Apple's whole design evolution suggests (at least most of) today's current bezels will become at most a fraction of what they've been, whatever the screen size.  So the screen can grow relative to the chassis, tho' I don't expect the home button to go away, so slightly wider and more "chin-like" (very small top bezel, just enough room for the Touch ID at the bottom, virtually no side bezels) - however the Home button's not becoming virtual by next year.

With continuing incremental improvements battery designs, this way a 4" model could actually be more pocketable than the 5s, and a 4.x" model barely physically larger.

I also think we need to prepare for a new screen display res slightly less elongated than the 5 and 5s. The current iPhone would quickly become unwieldy when scaled up, so somewhere between the iPad's 4:3 and the current phones.

This year was majorly about re-architecting the OS and going 64 bits - both major steps and both requiring lots of work for devs to keep everything in sync.  If next year the main thing they have to do to support a new device is incorporate an additional res (i.e., basically three resolutions as development for non-Retina and 32 bit devices starts dropping out of the ecosystem), that should feel like cake in comparison.

And yeah, that means "two flagship models," i.e., 4" will certainly stick around and a larger FF will be added.  Apple, as the world's best supply chain and support management company, can certainly handle this at this stage.  And they do continue to offer multi-line models of their notebooks and desktops (which are differentiated by resolution).

• Reply 47 of 137

I SO look forward to a bigger screen iPhone.  I maintain both an Android phone and an iPhone - because there are apps on iPhone that Android is lacking, but my Android has a bigger screen which is helpful in so many situations.  Personally, I think a bigger screen iPhone will kill Android's momentum, and probably gain Apple significant market share. 

• Reply 48 of 137
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

What's the big deal about these rumors? Of course Apple is testing phones with different screen sizes. I'm sure they have been for years. And no it won't be a shock if next year Apple releases a new iPhone with a bigger screen.

But the question is whether all the people currently putting down the idea of a larger screen iPhone will turn around and start embracing it when Apple releases it.

Apple will not make a video iPod. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod.

Apple will not make a phone.

Apple should not allow third parties to create native iPhone applications. Web apps are really sweet.

Apple will never switch to Intel processors.

• Reply 49 of 137
    haggar wrote: »
    But the question is whether all the people currently putting down the idea of a larger screen iPhone will turn around and start embracing it when Apple releases it.

Apple will not make a video iPod. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod.
    Apple will not make a phone.
    Apple should not allow third parties to create native iPhone applications. Web apps are really sweet.
    Apple will never switch to Intel processors.

Can you show any proof that Rogifan said any of that? In general, I seem to remember pretty much everyone wanting Apple to do every one of those things you state were never going to happen.
  • Reply 50 of 137
    Quote:

I won't be surprised if the next iPhone takes iPad mini/Air cues in terms of design. Basically an iPod touch that's only as thick as needed for camera and battery life.

You mean something like this mock-up but with the 4.9" screen?

http://www.thetechstorm.com/2013/11/stunning-new-iphone-6-concept-sapphire-glass-4-4-inch-display/

• Reply 51 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by akqies View Post

I think this rumor, factual or not, stems from an assumption Apple will use their 9.7" iPad display panels and still use the same resolution as the iPhone 5.

I remember that rumor but I don't see the point of going to a 264ppi resolution on this rumored iPhone.  Granted, text will be easier to read and buttons will be easier to push but the information density will be remain the same.  The whole point of going to a larger-screen iPhone is to display more information on the screen.

• Reply 52 of 137
    Quote:

I won't be surprised if the next iPhone takes iPad mini/Air cues in terms of design. Basically an iPod touch that's only as thick as needed for camera and battery life.

kind of like this mock-up but only sporting a 4.9" display;

http://www.thetechstorm.com/2013/11/stunning-new-iphone-6-concept-sapphire-glass-4-4-inch-display/

• Reply 53 of 137
    I think that the big iPhone will have same form factor as current 5c. Plastic body with latest specs. That way the price will be kept in par with 4" flagship phone line.
  • Reply 54 of 137
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Honestly who would want such a large cell phone? I'm still using my iPhone 4 because it is significantly smaller than the current offerings. If I need a big screen I can grab an iPad, for something to slip in ones pants small is beautiful.

Me. The iphone 4/4s F sucks, way to small.

I dont mind them selling tiny phones as long as I have a choice for a bigger one...  I was going for the nexus 5 this year but my toys budget got spend on an 27" imac, an ipad air and Retina ipad mini. So Apple is getting away with it for another year until I ditch them on the phone side.

I am sure Apple will come up with a clever way to make this bigger phone than just enlarging an iphone 5s to a 5" screen. imo Apple can do better than that.

• Reply 55 of 137
    canukstorm wrote: »
    I remember that rumor but I don't see the point of going to a 264ppi resolution on this rumored iPhone.  Granted, text will be easier to read and buttons will be easier to push but the information density will be remain the same.  The whole point of going to a larger-screen iPhone is to display more information on the screen.

I'd would hope so, but as Jack C states they might be trying to trying to just offer something in the same price range which could just be a display size jump without any other real benefit. I doubt it would appeal to me at 264 pip but I can see how it might appeal to others.
  • Reply 56 of 137
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jack C View Post

I think that the big iPhone will have same form factor as current 5c. Plastic body with latest specs. That way the price will be kept in par with 4" flagship phone line.

it could be a way to sell both "high end" phones at the same price. But imo people getting the bigger screen will probably also want an high shell.  I think they will do something in the line of Rmini VS ipad Air.  Maybe next year we will get a 4" iphone air and a 5" iphone pro.

Packaging old models in plastic is still a good idea, I wish they do that with ipads instead of selling things like the ipad2 at $400 and the old mini at $300.  Both of those models are absolute rip off compare to competition, they should be price lower and have there internal tweaked.

• Reply 57 of 137
    I'm waiting for AI to write a "feature" comparing the actual prediction accuracy of its favorite "analyst" instead of just asserting how "well-connected" he is. There's still a lot of guesswork on Ming-chi Kuo's part to turn supply chain whispers into a meaningful predictor of future products.
  • Reply 58 of 137

iPhone 5C Cases: Buy iPhone 5C Cases & Screen Guards online from dailyobjects.com. Get perfect protection for your iPhone 5C with designer cases & covers India.

http://www.dailyobjects.com/apple-accessories/cases-screen-guard/iphone-cases/iphone-5c-cases-cover-screen-guard

• Reply 59 of 137

iPhone 5C Cases: Buy iPhone 5C Cases & Screen Guards online from dailyobjects.com. Get perfect protection for your iPhone 5C with designer cases & covers India.

• Reply 60 of 137
    Touch ID could conceivable be made to go behind the screen%u2026 and apple did just invest in the company for production of large sapphire sheets. That would mean that you could essentially make the entire from screen, with just a little space up top for the ear piece/proximity sensor/facetime camera %u2026 but that would also mean the loss of the iconic home button which would be a major redesign (visually at least). I would actually like a bigger screen, as long as it's no bigger than 5". Beyond that, I've got an iPad mini :)