Apple brings customizable toolbars back to iWork suite for Mac, updates iOS app versions

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In a slew of software releases on Thursday, Apple introduced new versions of its iWork apps for both Mac and iOS, while the AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule received a firmware update to fix reported issues.

The latest versions of Keynote, Pages and Numbers all received bug fixes and performance improvements, with the Mac iterations of each gaining new features. As promised by Apple earlier this month, some features nixed from the revamped builds have started to return after consumers voiced concerns over their seeming deprecation.

When Apple revealed the new iWork suite in October, the company announced it would be making the software free with new device purchases.

Keynote

Apple's presentation app Keynote received the most new content, with both the iOS and OS X versions getting new transitions and builds.

Each app features the following improvements:
  • New transitions including Blinds, Color Planes, Confetti, Fall, Perspective, Pivot, and Swoosh
  • New builds including Blinds, Fly in, Fly out, Orbital, Pivot, Scale Big, and Swoosh
In addition, the Mac app update brings back a customizable toolbar, a much requested feature since the latest Keynote launched in October.

Keynote for Mac is a 444MB download and can be purchased for $19.99 through the Mac App Store. The iOS version comes in at 463MB and costs $9.99.

Pages

Pages also received the standard bug fixes and stability improvements, but the Mac version also brought back a customizable toolbar. Also returned are center and edge guides, which are now turned on by default.

The iOS app keeps its feature set intact, but also benefits from the aforementioned bug fixes.

Pages for Mac weighs in at 290MB and can be downloaded for $19.99 from the Mac App Store, while the iOS iteration is 266MB and costs $9.99.

Numbers

Like Pages, Apple's spreadsheet software Numbers get the bug fix treatment and, for the Mac version, a return of customizable toolbar. The Mac iteration also adds windows size and placement preservation for saved files and a new setting for zoom defaults.

Numbers for Mac is a 190MB download, while the iOS version is 234MB. Prices are $19.99 and $9.99, respectively.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    Nice! Keep 'em coming Apple...
  • Reply 2 of 49
    Good to see they're moving fast on getting some of the functionality back in these apps (and yes, I know the old versions are still available on the desktop).
  • Reply 3 of 49
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Wow, that was fast.
  • Reply 4 of 49

It begins. By this time 2014, Office won’t be such a “clear cut” choice for “real business use” (we all know what that means).

I also take it that since this update has gone out for both OS X and iOS that the iCloud versions of these three applications will have the same changes, yes? Because… because what was the POINT of this whole endeavor otherwise?!

• Reply 5 of 49
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I get the sense that Apple is adopting (somewhat) the open source concept of "release early release often". With the apps now free their is no need to work years on huge feature sets to justify the upgrade cost. Effectively they are free to trickle out improvements when they are ready.

Interestingly this is the way many apps are supported on App Store these days. I haven't had a week go by without an app update and I don't have a lot of apps installed.
    Good to see they're moving fast on getting some of the functionality back in these apps (and yes, I know the old versions are still available on the desktop).
  • Reply 6 of 49
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    The iCloud versions got updated a couple of days ago. I really think we are seeing a new Apple here and have to agree that by this time next year the apps will be vastly improved.
    It begins. By this time 2014, Office won’t be such a “clear cut” choice for “real business use” (we all know what that means).

I also take it that since this update has gone out for both OS X and iOS that the iCloud versions of these three applications will have the same changes, yes? Because… because what was the POINT of this whole endeavor otherwise?!
  • Reply 7 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's not clear to me yet if the online is identical to the iOS and desktop versions. I just logged on and checked, but I admit I don't use any of the apps often enough to know exactly what I should be checking... I didn't see any option to modify commonly used tools, though.

• Reply 8 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I get the sense that Apple is adopting (somewhat) the open source concept of "release early release often". With the apps now free their is no need to work years on huge feature sets to justify the upgrade cost. Effectively they are free to trickle out improvements when they are ready.

Interestingly this is the way many apps are supported on App Store these days. I haven't had a week go by without an app update and I don't have a lot of apps installed.

I like the idea of immediate updates as long as they are solid, tested improvements. I haven't a lot of complaints at this point. :D

• Reply 9 of 49
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Wait, Apple still updates the iWork apps?

/s
    I guess I'll put away the iWork-gate (2013) signs.
  • Reply 10 of 49

I am going to wait. As a heavy Keynote user, v6.0 has been such a disastrous experience for me with my workflow, that I've simply trashed it, and switched back to v5.3.

Apple needed to do this better. I don't operate on their trickle-by-trickle-improvements release schedule.
  • Reply 11 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I am going to wait. As a heavy Keynote user, v6.0 has been such a disastrous experience for me with my workflow, that I've simply trashed it, and switched back to v5.3.

Apple needed to do this better. I don't operate on their trickle-by-trickle-improvements release schedule.

Why would you do that? Apple updated those programs but they left the previous versions on your desktop also. Did you notice?

• Reply 12 of 49
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Pulling off the band aid is painful, but in the long run it's for the best. Trashing 6.0 is a good call for you personally, but you'll be back and this time will be but a memory in a couple of years. That they have the balls to start fresh, though a painful experience when it happens, to me that's Apple at its best. That goes for iOS 7 too. Even if some of the home screen icons are unarguably ugly. Videos, Reminders, Photos? It's endearing to know even Apple makes mistakes.
  • Reply 13 of 49
    Sorry Apple, still won't get me to switch away from Office. Keynote probably. But I hate Numbers and Pages just seems like a step backwards for my needs.
  • Reply 14 of 49

Why would you do that? Apple updated those programs but they left the previous versions on your desktop also. Did you notice?

From where do you think I got my 5.3 back!?

Obviously, you're not much of a Keynote user.
  • Reply 15 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Pulling off the band aid is painful, but in the long run it's for the best. Trashing 6.0 is a good call for you personally, but you'll be back and this time will be but a memory in a couple of years. That they have the balls to start fresh, though a painful experience when it happens, to me that's Apple at its best. That goes for iOS 7 too. Even if some of the home screen icons are unarguably ugly. Videos, Reminders, Photos? It's endearing to know even Apple makes mistakes.

Ok then. The new iOS icons, especially the ones you mentioned are some of the best designed and coolest icons I have ever seen. A mistake? no way, man.

Keep up the awesome work Apple.

• Reply 16 of 49
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Ok then. The new iOS icons, especially the ones you mentioned are some of the best designed and coolest icons I have ever seen. A mistake? no way, man.
    Keep up the awesome work Apple.

OK, so you disagree with Louie Mantia, John Siracusa, Loren Brichter, myself and many others, but that's OK. Your opinion counts too.
  • Reply 17 of 49
    Numbers is crashing for me on my ipad 3rd gen and iPhone 5. If I shut off iCloud it works, but no docs! So beware if you're doing this update. Pages seems okay but I really don't use it all that much.

Anyone else have issues?
  • Reply 18 of 49
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    ireland wrote: »
    OK, so you disagree with Louie Mantia, John Siracusa, Loren Brichter, myself and many others, but that's OK. Your opinion counts too.
    And you disagree with Jony. Now that that's settled...
  • Reply 19 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Who???   and YES, my opinion does count as much as yours.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

And you disagree with Jony. Now that that's settled...

exactly 

• Reply 20 of 49
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    Kind of odd, I can add page count to the iOS version, but not the web version, even though the web version reads and automatically increments the page count. No way to add a page count in the web version though.