Rumor: Apple field testing 'iPhone 6' with 4.9-inch display

Comments

• Reply 61 of 137
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Honestly who would want such a large cell phone? I'm still using my iPhone 4 because it is significantly smaller than the current offerings. If I need a big screen I can grab an iPad, for something to slip in ones pants small is beautiful.

Just FYI, my Nexus 7 fits in the pockets of every pair of pants I own (jeans, shorts, slacks, pajamas, and gym shorts).
  • Reply 62 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

the Pixel wars are pretty much over.   It's really now about color accuracy and performance.   I'm not keen on downgrading 'retina' definitions, but if Apple can show that the actual visual presentation is better than the current 5s in the global scheme of things (sort of like the MHz wars... a fast chip isn't necessarily a great performer),  Apple will sell it.

Pixel wars are are still going strong.  Samsung is working on 560 PPI displays.  

The following is a good article on why...   http://mostly-tech.com/2013/11/08/debunking-the-retina-display-myth/

Would be marketing suicide for Apple if Samsung had a 560 PPI display on the Galaxy S5 and Apple downgraded the pixel density on the iPhone 6.

• Reply 63 of 137
    Originally Posted by JamesMac View Post

Would be marketing suicide for Apple if Samsung had a 560 PPI display on the Galaxy S5 and Apple downgraded the pixel density on the iPhone 6.

Not really. Also that link? Patently false.

• Reply 64 of 137
    sog35 wrote: »
    You must be a giant.  I'm 6 feet and 185 and no way can I fit the Nexus in any of my pockets.  Even if I could it would look and feel really stupid. To bad I can't tell you to buy a Nexus7 since you have one already.

I think you'd be surprised. I'm 6' and 220 and it fits easily. I wouldn't want to walk around in public with a tablet in my pocket, but the point is that a 5" iPhone will have no trouble fitting in anyone's pockets.
  • Reply 65 of 137
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

Nothing new with the larger screen.  Just making developers work harder to accommodate the different screen sizes.

• Reply 66 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not really. Also that link? Patently false.

Feel free to enlighten us with your wisdom.   

I have some expertise in marketing and can assure you that trying to sell a product that is demonstrably worse than a competitors, where you position yourself as a premium product, is difficult and will be mercilessly exploited by the competitor (and Samsung has proven highly adept at this type of promotion).   It strikes me as highly unlikely that Apple would take this path, and indeed in the recent past, they've used better screens as a means to differentiate their product.

On the opthamological side of this, if you have some expertise to dispute this article, please do so. 

• Reply 67 of 137
    Originally Posted by JamesMac View Post

demonstrably worse

There’s the rub.

On the opthamological side of this, if you have some expertise to dispute this article, please do so. 

I happen to know two of them. I’ll see if they can give me some time this weekend to help you understand why what has already been disproven is disproven.

• Reply 68 of 137
    FYI, a 4.9 inch diag at 1920 x 1080 will be 4.27 tall and 2.40 wide. Even if the top and bottom margins are greatly reduced with no side margins, thats a big phone compared to the current device.
    [IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/35258/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
  • Reply 69 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

Ha. No. Told her to exchange it. Didn't want to spend the $100 more. Has finally come around to my line of thinking that $100 over 2 years is irrelevant. She will be getting a 6 when I do. image

$100 over two years is a "whopping" 14 cents/day. With many people paying close to $100 every month for their smartphone plans it's shocking how many worry about finding those extra few pennies per day to get the phone they really want.

I'm sure that if Apple does introduce a phone with a larger display they'll shrink the bezels to keep the overall size increase small.

I really think they should do what they've done with their MacBooks and iPads: offer different sizes of device.

Those with small hands can't reach all parts of the existing 4" display without adjusting their grip. They simply will not buy a larger phone.

Others want the most screen possible in a portable, go everywhere device. The iPad mini requires large pockets or a bag and doesn't offer phone capability. Thus a phone in the 5" range with a higher resolution makes some sense.

• Reply 70 of 137
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

bottom line is 70 inch TV's are only 1080p.

Why on earth would your 5 inch phone need to be 4x that resolution.

Thing about those TVs is they look terrible. I can stand 20 feet away from one and still see the pixels. It’s hideous. They need to be SHV yesterday. 1080p up to 32”, 4K from 32” to 60”, and SHV for 60”+.

You’re right about the phone, though, depending on size. Use the iPad to carry the resolution downward and see what’s needed at what size.

• Reply 71 of 137

Was the source bad?

It was a Best Buy end display, so I dunno. I know that their Monster™ displays illegally use composite cables on the “competitor” TV and HDMI on their own, but it wasn’t one of those. It was just a standard Sharp TV. I walked past it, balked, and then stood back as far as I could and it still looked awful. 

I’ve seen a 4K display (I think it was 70”) in MicroCenter before, and that was all right. 

• Reply 72 of 137
    bregalad wrote: »
    $100 over two years is a "whopping" 14 cents/day. With many people paying close to $100 every month for their smartphone plans it's shocking how many worry about finding those extra few pennies per day to get the phone they really want.

I'm sure that if Apple does introduce a phone with a larger display they'll shrink the bezels to keep the overall size increase small.
    I really think they should do what they've done with their MacBooks and iPads: offer different sizes of device.
    Those with small hands can't reach all parts of the existing 4" display without adjusting their grip. They simply will not buy a larger phone.
    Others want the most screen possible in a portable, go everywhere device. The iPad mini requires large pockets or a bag and doesn't offer phone capability. Thus a phone in the 5" range with a higher resolution makes some sense.

Exactly. Which is why I always try to talk people (strangers, even) out of the "free" iPhone and opt for at least the $99 one
  • Reply 73 of 137
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Me. The iphone 4/4s F sucks, way to small.

I dont mind them selling tiny phones as long as I have a choice for a bigger one...  I was going for the nexus 5 this year but my toys budget got spend on an 27" imac, an ipad air and Retina ipad mini. So Apple is getting away with it for another year until I ditch them on the phone side.

I am sure Apple will come up with a clever way to make this bigger phone than just enlarging an iphone 5s to a 5" screen. imo Apple can do better than that.

Why did you not choose an LTE mini? That would appear to address the size of the screen quite well since I don't imagine a larger screen on a phablet actually enhances the speaking/listening experience. Plus the operating expenses absent the voice contract is far cheaper over time… When going "big" why not go BIG?

• Reply 74 of 137
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    shogun wrote: »
    Notice how the 4.94 screen size in the image is roughly the same size as the entire iPhone 5. To me there's good reason to think the iPhone 6's front will be all screen — So same size as iPhone 5 in the end and not a bigger phone at all.

spot on Shogun!
  • Reply 75 of 137
    Quote:

That's silly.  How much media is even at 1080p right now?  Going to those ultra resolutions would be a waste of money.  4k and 8k televisions are not even viable on a large scale at 60 inches for most people.  Now we want a 5 inch phone with that type of resolution?  Total gimmick.

Gimmick, maybe.  But Qualcomm is obviously on board too with their newly announced Snapdragon 805.  Like it or not, the industry is moving towards Ultra HD.   I'm sure Apple will be there too, if not, I can just picture the Samsung ads now! 

• Reply 76 of 137
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    jamesmac wrote: »
    Gimmick, maybe.  But Qualcomm is obviously on board too with their newly announced Snapdragon 805.  Like it or not, the industry is moving towards Ultra HD.   I'm sure Apple will be there too, if not, I can just picture the Samsung ads now! 

Don't confuse a chip's ability to process certain media types with some requirement for what a display's resolution needs to be. If that were the case then digital camera displays would have to match the sensors they have for processing an image. The display is about balancing cost with what we can perceive with power usage and capabilities of the GPU and bus processing the data it needs to display. We will get 4K(UHD) capable devices long before 4K(UHD) displays in your pockets even possible, just like we got 720p and 1080p playback on devices before the displays were ready.
  • Reply 77 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Good. After using a Nexus 5 for a while (4.95"), I actually personally like the size, and have gotten used to it. My dad has been complaining that he wants a larger screen for a while, but I don't want to switch him over from iOS to Android, because of many reasons. I really do hope they release a phone with a screen size like this next year. Anything larger would be a no-go. 

While I still prefer the smaller form factor, your summary is and excellant synopsis of why manner people prefer the larger screen size.
  • Reply 78 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by akqies View Post

Don't confuse a chip's ability to process certain media types with some requirement for what a display's resolution needs to be. If that were the case then digital camera displays would have to match the sensors they have for processing an image. The display is about balancing cost with what we can perceive with power usage and capabilities of the GPU and bus processing the data it needs to display. We will get 4K(UHD) capable devices long before 4K(UHD) displays in your pockets even possible, just like we got 720p and 1080p playback on devices before the displays were ready.

Samsung has revealed plans for UHD support in 2015 and WQHD next year (presumably the S5), so it's coming sooner than you may realise.  

• Reply 79 of 137
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    jamesmac wrote: »
    Samsung has revealed plans for UHD support in 2015 and WQHD next year (presumably the S5), so it's coming sooner than you may realise.  

Again, supporting 4K files is not the as supporting output via Micro HDMI to a 4K display is not the same as saying you are adding a 4K display in a phone. And none of that includes refresh rates or profiles, or even codec types, which all affect the processing and bandwidth involved. You simply can't make a simplistic blanket statement and expect it to be this Three Musketeers comment.
  • Reply 80 of 137
    "Notice how the 4.94 screen size in the image is roughly the same size as the entire iPhone 5. To me there's good reason to think the iPhone 6's front will be all screen -- So same size as iPhone 5 in the end and not a bigger phone at all."

Really, and how would you suggest they implement Touch ID if the front screen is all display?