Apple seeds second OS X 10.9.1 beta with Mail improvements, Safari 6.1.1 [u]

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday seeded an updated OS X 10.9.1 Mavericks beta to developers, noting that a few focus areas have been improved upon since the first build was sent out last week.

Seed

The most recent build 13B35 of the forthcoming maintenance update notes fixes for Gmail, SmartFolders and other bugs associated with the Mail app. People familiar with the release said Mail is sill a focus area for testing, as is Safari, Graphics Drivers and VoiceOver.

In addition to the Mail enhancements, the latest beta addresses a VoiceOver issue when the system reads emoji characters, improves compatibility with VPN servers in OS X Server and adds a function to periodically update Shared Links in Safari.

Apple issued a fix for Mavericks Mail earlier this month, as well as an iBooks for Mac update, though each was a standalone release and not part of a larger maintenance update.

Developers can download the latest OS X 10.9.1 beta via Apple Developer Center or Software Update.

Update: Apple also released Seed 2 of Safari 6.1.1 and Safari 7.0.1 with focus areas including general website compatibility, accessibility, viewing and annotating PDFs, login and password autofill, Web Inspector functionality and extensions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55

How about we stop fixing Gmail and fix the spinning beachballs!!!!!!! That's an issue. People can use Safari or what ever browser they use to get Gmail.....come on already!!!!

Slide023

• Reply 2 of 55
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

And the Airport 7.7.2 update has hosed my 5GHz network with dual 802.11ac extremes.

Phew! Fixed. For some reason, the update enabled access control, with access denied by default!, on the nearest base station.

• Reply 3 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slide023 View Post

How about we stop fixing Gmail and fix the spinning beachballs!!!!!!! That's an issue. People can use Safari or what ever browser they use to get Gmail.....come on already!!!!

Slide023

What beach balls? I've been running 10.9 Since Beta 4, runs silky smooth. Maybe you should stop taking your one (probably made up) problem and making it into something greater.

My grandma smoked two packs a day since she was 15, died at 98. By your standard that means it's perfectly safe to smoke and think you'll live a long happy life.

• Reply 4 of 55
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Slide023

Everybody thinks their experience is typical. No one wants to admit they have no clue what’s going on. Reach out and blame somebody else is the solution?

• Reply 5 of 55
    Does someone knows if the bug where the keyboard layout wouldn't go back to the Japanese layout when switching the input language to Japanese from another language is fixed ? (for example you would switch to french, and so get the french keyboard layout, and when back in Japanese, the input would switch back to Japanese but the keyboard layout would still be the french keyboard layout, if you use a Japanese mac, once you'd use another keyboard layout you wouldn't be able to get back to the original layout of the computer..)
  • Reply 6 of 55
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Exactly.

Since I installed Mavericks, I've had exactly one problem: Something with Time Machine and my external disk.  But since the vast majority of people using Mavericks haven't had this problem, I figure it's something that 1) has to do with the way I had it set-up, or 2) just something I don't understand.  *shrug*

What I didn't do was assume that it was a problem with Mavericks.

• Reply 7 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BNZ V3 View Post

What beach balls? I've been running 10.9 Since Beta 4, runs silky smooth. Maybe you should stop taking your one (probably made up) problem and making it into something greater.

My grandma smoked two packs a day since she was 15, died at 98. By your standard that means it's perfectly safe to smoke and think you'll live a long happy life.

What beachballs? Do you read any other forum other than this one? Man, you have issues.....I'm not making this up. I come here and comment on a real issue, and you answer full of sarcasm pretending it doesn't exist.  You're an A -- -- hole.......Big time.

• Reply 8 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BNZ V3 View Post

Are all other issue with Mavericks made up too?  Like your quote that you included.  Go read some more forums, and you'll find "more solid evidence." instead of attacking a commenter. 

• Reply 9 of 55
    Quote:

What beachballs? Do you read any other forum other than this one? Man, you have issues.....I'm not making this up. I come here and comment on a real issue, and you answer full of sarcasm pretending it doesn't exist.  You're an A -- -- hole.......Big time.

Hardware specs are appreciated.

• Reply 10 of 55
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Everybody thinks their experience is typical. No one wants to admit they have no clue what’s going on. Reach out and blame somebody else is the solution?

If you've been following the news, a lot of people have experienced issues between Mavericks Mail and Gmail--so much so that Apple even seeded a Mail beta to developers.

• Reply 11 of 55

my time machine updates to my external drive have become much slower, although they do complete, there is a discussion thread on Apple's forums regarding the issue.

• Reply 12 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tookieman2013 View Post

my time machine updates to my external drive have become much slower, although they do complete, there is a discussion thread on Apple's forums regarding the issue.

Yeah, I've read (a lot of) those threads.

Mine won't even complete, and tells me that there's not enough room.  Why it's not just eliminating older backups to make room for the new one, I'm not sure.  Isn't that what's supposed to happen?

• Reply 13 of 55
    Quote:

Are all other issue with Mavericks made up too?  Like your quote that you included.  Go read some more forums, and you'll find "more solid evidence." instead of attacking a commenter. 

The only issues, when searching "issues with mavericks 10.9" are those with mail. A)Frak gmail B)Frak gmail C)Who cares about google D) nothing about spinning beach balls E) Why yes, I am an a??hole and I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing ;)

• Reply 14 of 55

How about we stop fixing Gmail

I’m all for that. Let Google burn.

…and fix the spinning beach balls… 

You mean the ones that don’t happen?

So… nothing but insults and a continued refusal to explain anything you’re talking about.

That’s nice.

Again, more anecdotes and a refusal to explain what you’re talking about.

• Reply 15 of 55

Oh, know what I want to see in 10.9.1? An iTunes that supports h.265 and an iTunes Store that has reencoded all of its content to be h.265 to cut file sizes in HALF. Then it’s just a hop, skip, and a jump to redownloading that delicious, smaller-filed stuff. 

VLC’s latest update added h.265. HandBrake will add it shortly. Come on, Apple! Get back in front of the curve!

Oh, and for SSA subtitles to be supported by MP4 files. Come on, Apple. Do it. SSA is ludicrously superior to SRT. You can make subtitles MOVE on the screen, for heaven’s sake. You can change font, color, give it a stroke, position the subtitle anywhere (not just the bottom center)…

• Reply 16 of 55
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

If you've been following the news, a lot of people have experienced issues between Mavericks Mail and Gmail--so much so that Apple even seeded a Mail beta to developers.

My post was not about Gmail. It was about beach balls. You might want to re-read and check the context.

• Reply 17 of 55

Do we have any idea when OS X 10.9.1 Vista will actually be released? 10.9 as it is, is really terrible with many annoyances.

• Reply 18 of 55
    There are 15,000 visits to Apple's support forum regarding a serious Exchange server synchronization issue with Mavericks. I'd like to think this release is fixing the issue but all I hear is 'Gmail'. And 15,000 systems administrators searching for answers likely means 150,000, even 1.5 million pissed off corporate users.
  • Reply 19 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by trippy View Post

Do we have any idea when OS X 10.9.1 Vista will actually be released? 10.9 as it is, is really terrible with many annoyances.

For instance?

I'm not saying you aren't having problems.  I'm just curious as to what they are.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdnoble View Post

There are 15,000 visits to Apple's support forum regarding a serious Exchange server synchronization issue with Mavericks. I'd like to think this release is fixing the issue but all I hear is 'Gmail'. And 15,000 systems administrators searching for answers likely means 150,000, even 1.5 million pissed off corporate users.

You don't know that those are 15,000 different users, though.  

• Reply 20 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

For instance?

I'm not saying you aren't having problems.  I'm just curious as to what they are.

The time it takes to launch apps. The disk activity that goes with it. I counted 31 bounces and another 25 seconds  before iPhoto opened. That's not an isolated occurrance - other apps also take excessive amounts to time to start. 

Under load the machine is unresponsive, unusable almost.

Intermittent problems with Safari not quitting cleanly, needing to be Force Quit; and with the address bar losing focus when I'm typing into it; and with two-finger swiping causing tabs to become unusable. Safari randomly forgets the links I clicked, I guess when its cache is full, so I don't remember which articles I read.

Intermittent problems with some Preference panes hanging (namely iCloud and Internet Services), requiring Preferences to be Force Quit. This also applies when trying to access certain panes in apps, such as when trying to edit an email account in Mail.

The sound in iTunes becomes choppy when pausing and resuming video playback. Again it's intermittent. It no longer remembers the playback position if I stop watching on my Mac and resume on the Apple TV (haven't tried if that's the case the other way around).

Zooming has caused the Mac to freeze a number of times, requiring holding down the reset button to reboot. It's at the point where I don't trust it any more.

Mail.app sometimes takes longer to deliver than the USPS. And then it's quite funny. I see the notification come in. About five seconds later the badge updates. Anywhere up to 10 seconds after that I hear the tri-tone alert sound. Mail frequently forgets certificates or passwords, especially for my own domains email accounts, and I have to remind it. It forgets the password for my Gmail-affiliated account on occasion and the certificate for my ISP email on occasion.

There's other, less annoying niggly quirks, which I'm sure will disappear over time.

None of this happened under Mountain Lion, which itself is hardly a wonderful OS.

And not to mention the cosmetic changes. Whoever though to put Jony Ive in charge of software design is an idiot. From the beautiful and pleasing aesthetics of Snow Leopard to the drab, grey, featureless look we have today? 

But oh, my iPad2 is even worse with iOS 7. That's a complete train wreck. But that's another story.

I have a well-specced-out 2009 iMac that ran like a dream under Snow Leopard. But with every new release of OS X Apple just keeps adding really numb-nuts features, like Autosave and Autoresume. And there's no way to disable them, which is the frustrating part.

Give me Snow Leopard with rubber-banding, natural scrolling, full-screen apps (now that it's working well) and Spaces. Take away everything else that came with Lion and onwards, because it's junk. Utter garbage.