Irish school's attempt to replace books with HP tablets results in 'unmitigated disaster'

Comments

• Reply 141 of 186
    Originally Posted by hmm View Post

I wish Michael Flatley would come and take you away right now.

He’s coming to take me away, ha ha! He’s coming to take me away, ho ho hee hee ha ha to the Emerald Isle where life is beautiful all the time and I’ll be happy to see those nice young men with their big red beards and they’re coming to take me away!

Know what, you could Riverdance to that song.

• Reply 142 of 186
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    relic wrote: »
    Yaaayyy, I'm so happy. There's actually someone else on this board who's actually used a Windows 8 tablet. I have one too, the Lenovo, I really enjoy it as well and honestly don't understand all the hatred towards this platform. It's the closest to what my ideal work tablet (didn't say home, the iPad still rules their, so don't lash out) should be, as of yet. I have high hopes for Ubuntu Touch, call me a dreamer.

Yah I think it's great... and I did spend decent time with iPad and Android tablets, and both platforms were fine... but TPT2 just works better for my usage scenarios. As in, easy access to shared folders on my "home network" etc.
  • Reply 143 of 186
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

He’s coming to take me away, ha ha! He’s coming to take me away, ho ho hee hee ha ha to the Emerald Isle where life is beautiful all the time and I’ll be happy to see those nice young men with their big red beards and they’re coming to take me away!

Know what, you could Riverdance to that song.

That was actually a reference to Labyrinth.

• Reply 144 of 186

OK, don't everyone get all mad...

Why did God invent alcohol?

To stop the Irish from ruling the world! :)

• Reply 145 of 186
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    As with all corporate purchases, they have to pass through an IT department. Whose entire existence relies on buggy and crappy software/hardware combinations. Without Microsoft they face extinction. Therefore they would never entertain Apple products for fear of losing their jobs. This attitude is prevalent in the corporate world that is why Apple can't break through. I worked in design agencies fully kitted out with macs, we never had an IT department, the stuff was maintained by the people that used it, with very little effort or problem. That's what corporate IT is afraid of. And that's why they continually purchase this type of shit. Windows 8 should be scrapped immediately it is a complete failure from a user perspective, it should never have been forced on the desktop/laptop.
  • Reply 146 of 186
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

Delta airline pilots using the Surface as an electronic bag.

Toilet. electronic toilet.

• Reply 147 of 186
    st88st88 Posts: 124member

Talk about getting the short end of the stick.

Meanwhile HP launched their Omni 10 tablet for $399:

• Windows 8.1 / Microsoft Office Home & Student 2013

• Intel Z3770 / 2GB LPDDR3

• 10.1 inch 1920x1200 display

• ~10 hour battery

• 1.4 lbs

• Reply 148 of 186
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    cnocbui wrote: »

I clearly highlighted in bold the bit you got wrong.

You mean you highlighted the bit you got wrong.
    Do you have an iPad? Otherwise you should know what I am talking about.
  • Reply 149 of 186
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    melgross wrote: »
    Ok, I didn't realize you highlighted that, I thought he had. I stand corrected in that then.

Editing the text you quote isn't a good practice and should not be done. Seems a bit of a 'trap' to me.

One of the best things of the iPad is Safari, pinch and zoom and drag are a lot more natural to use and result in super fast browsing.
    When I use Safari on the web I often search for the mouse equivalent, that isn't there.
    Page load times are on par with the current hardware, so that's not a disadvantage for the ipad anymore.
    The fact that you can read web pages everywhere and can position it like a book makes Safari on the iPad al the more superior to Safari on the Mac.
  • Reply 150 of 186
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by knowitall View Post

You mean you highlighted the bit you got wrong.

Do you have an iPad? Otherwise you should know what I am talking about.

Your claim was that interacting with the web via a browser is superior to doing so on a full fledged PC.  It is not.  It simply is not possible to complete a tax return and submit the completed form from an iPad where I live.  Nor can you use important elements of many websites that use flash.

• Reply 151 of 186
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hmm View Post

That was actually a reference to Labyrinth.

And that's an improvement over taking a poke at the River Dancer? A bad movie with lots of 2nd string muppets?

• Reply 152 of 186
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

You are a fanatic and don't know what you are talking about.  Your claim was that interacting with the web via a browser is superior to doing so on a full fledged PC.  It is not.  It simply is not possible to complete a tax return and submit the completed form from an iPad where I live.  Nor can you use important elements of many websites that use flash.

I'm not going to argue that more sites won't work on a laptop than an iPad -- but I wills say; what is your real goal? In a school it's something that is seamless and almost impossible to break.

So a "free and open" laptop is going to be crippled in that matter of a month. You will get recursive pop-ups and man in the middle attacks whenever you try to go to google. I'm thinking here that YES someone is partisan, but on the other hand, what is "superior" is a device that can actually be used in a Classroom.

Not having a keyboard is a BONUS, not running Flash and Java is, depending on situation a blessing and a curse. YMMV.

• Reply 153 of 186
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zaba View Post

As with all corporate purchases, they have to pass through an IT department. Whose entire existence relies on buggy and crappy software/hardware combinations. Without Microsoft they face extinction. Therefore they would never entertain Apple products for fear of losing their jobs. This attitude is prevalent in the corporate world that is why Apple can't break through. I worked in design agencies fully kitted out with macs, we never had an IT department, the stuff was maintained by the people that used it, with very little effort or problem. That's what corporate IT is afraid of. And that's why they continually purchase this type of shit. Windows 8 should be scrapped immediately it is a complete failure from a user perspective, it should never have been forced on the desktop/laptop.

I'd say it has a lot more to do with workflow. Outlook and Exchange server scheduling your day. Remote controlled systems and virtual networks for roving salespeople. There are plenty of solutions to do all these things on a Mac but they are not well known or part of the Workflow.

Just as the iPhone has given Apple a Halo -- Microsoft Office and their business solutions have given a Halo to their OS. Windows is fairly reliable if you can lock it down on an enterprise level.

You don't need to do that with Macs, so IT looks at the concept of; "Well, I can't create a closed intranet and co-location of the OS -- it's not ready for business." And 90% of the reasons they do all this nonsense with PCs is because they break if you "play" with what you put on them. Due to the registry structure, sometimes the only way to fix a PC is to wipe the hard drive and re-install everything. An almost foreign concept to a Mac user.

The IT guys at my large (ish) office were the ones who used to always make fun of me for using a Mac. Then they got an iPhone and then a Mac and probably because the company didn't lock it down, it made it seem a lot better. But that IT guy became the biggest Mac fan and started harassing other Windows users. I thought; "good grief, he's making us look bad..." Anyway, it was a phenomenon I'd never seen before in tech support. Likely because there is a lot of geek cred to opening a UNIX shell.

• Reply 154 of 186
    cnocbui wrote: »

You are a fanatic and don't know what you are talking about.  Your claim was that interacting with the web via a browser is superior to doing so on a full fledged PC.  It is not.  It simply is not possible to complete a tax return and submit the completed form from an iPad where I live.  Nor can you use important elements of many websites that use flash.

Thanks, but I think that I am a realist.
    What I meant with superior is the handling of it.
    Almost all of the online forms I have to fill in work great on the iPad, the exceptions I encounter do not work on the Mac either or have to do with HTML5 coding problems (a faulty website).
    Flash is dead, and it's a blessing not being able to use it.
    I ignore sites that support flash and that means they don't sell to me and according to the number of sites that suddenly comply to HTML5 I am not alone in that behavior.
    iPad owners account for 80% of tablet web browsing and that represents a huge selling opportunity to people that actually want to buy and have the means to do it.
    So, nowadays I hardly encounter a site that doesn't work.
    Hence superior browsing.
  • Reply 155 of 186

QuickOffice and Drive

• Reply 156 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

What word processing program is available on Androids?

QuickOffice and Drive

• Reply 157 of 186
    darthw wrote: »
    It's obviously HP & MS fault.

Not really. It's the clueless individuals that concluded, after 18 months of evaluation, that hp and ms were the best solution.
  • Reply 158 of 186
    emesemes Posts: 239member

I thought this was a site for Apple news. This is just asking for people to troll MS

• Reply 159 of 186
    Originally Posted by Emes View Post

This is just asking for people to troll MS

Maybe they shouldn’t fail so much, then.

• Reply 160 of 186
    emesemes Posts: 239member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Maybe they shouldn’t fail so much, then.

Or maybe you should control yourselves and stick to one topic