Rumor: Apple field testing 'iPhone 6' with 4.9-inch display

Comments

• Reply 81 of 137
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akqies View Post

I think this rumor, factual or not, stems from an assumption Apple will use their 9.7" iPad display panels and still use the same resolution as the iPhone 5.

I'd prefer they draw a line in the sand and produce a slightly larger and higher resolution display. In my opinion Apple still have a significant lead in both design and mobile software ease of use. If they can close the gap with on display size the competition will be left to compete primarily on price (and niche products like phablets).

• Reply 82 of 137
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Command_F View Post

My priority is device size, the bigger the display that fits onto a pocketable size the better. I have just moved from a 4S to a 5S and I notice that it does not fit jacket pockets quite as well so I would regret any further increase in size.

I am not quite sure I understand how people can have problems fitting a 4" phone into there pocket while I can do it my 7.9" iPad mini... At work, my friend and I both put our mini's into our pocket then discretly  go down to the tower food court to play  :p   We can do whatever we want during a break, its just we don't want to be seen going down with the iPads

• Reply 83 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Why did you not choose an LTE mini? That would appear to address the size of the screen quite well since I don't imagine a larger screen on a phablet actually enhances the speaking/listening experience. Plus the operating expenses absent the voice contract is far cheaper over time… When going "big" why not go BIG?

I think its pretty obvious a 8" 4:3 ratio tablet is too big to be used like a phone....  I guess it could be done with an android 7" 16:9 ratio tablet, above that you need to be a 6'5" + football player.

• Reply 84 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Honestly who would want such a large cell phone? I'm still using my iPhone 4 because it is significantly smaller than the current offerings. If I need a big screen I can grab an iPad, for something to slip in ones pants small is beautiful.

Well there is a poll on another website, the 4.6"-5" phone is at 44% and  4"-4.5" is at  29%.  So a whooping 73% wants a bigger phone...   imo if Apple can finally release a bigger phone it will outsell the crap out of the 4" in no time. 

• Reply 85 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by akqies View Post

Again, supporting 4K files is not the as supporting output via Micro HDMI to a 4K display is not the same as saying you are adding a 4K display in a phone. And none of that includes refresh rates or profiles, or even codec types, which all affect the processing and bandwidth involved. You simply can't make a simplistic blanket statement and expect it to be this Three Musketeers comment.

Hey Dartanian, do you want to try that again, maybe in English this time :)

Samsung is claiming they will have 3840 x 2160 phones in 2015.  If you know otherwise, please share.

• Reply 86 of 137
    Originally Posted by JamesMac View Post

Samsung is claiming they will have 3840 x 2160 phones in 2015.

Display hardware ? codec support. That’s the short version.

• Reply 87 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Display hardware ? codec support. That’s the short version.

Wow, such incredible insight.  

• Reply 88 of 137

Wow, such incredible insight.  

Just say you don’t understand what’s being said and we’ll explain it more plainly.

• Reply 89 of 137
    Quote:

Samsung is claiming they will have 3840 x 2160 phones in 2015.  If you know otherwise, please share.

Waste of ressources, whats the point of having pixel density beyond retina?  All this will do is eat up GPU, batterie life,  and warm up youre hands in the winter. There is no benefit to the consumer...

Specs freaks are border line retarded... phones are not Pc's of the 90's. Those geeks are left with the idea they always need more memory or that the only thing that matters between devices are specs, regardless of if they are usefull or not.

• Reply 90 of 137
    haggar wrote: »
    But the question is whether all the people currently putting down the idea of a larger screen iPhone will turn around and start embracing it when Apple releases it.

Apple will not make a video iPod. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod.
    Apple will not make a phone.
    Apple should not allow third parties to create native iPhone applications. Web apps are really sweet.
    Apple will never switch to Intel processors.

Totally agree! Most apple fans are so conservative but finally they "like" the new products. I am not that old to remember about those who didnt believe for an iphone and ipod touch release but yes i remember few people believed for an iPad Mini, i was one of them. Also few people believed for a cheaper iPhone, but yes it came true!
    canukstorm wrote: »
    I remember that rumor but I don't see the point of going to a 264ppi resolution on this rumored iPhone.  Granted, text will be easier to read and buttons will be easier to push but the information density will be remain the same.  The whole point of going to a larger-screen iPhone is to display more information on the screen.

Totally agree too
  • Reply 91 of 137
    akqies wrote: »
    I think this rumor, factual or not, stems from an assumption Apple will use their 9.7" iPad display panels and still use the same resolution as the iPhone 5.

Noway next iPhone to have lower PPI than current one. It will have the same or even better. Dont forget that iPhone is the best selling kid of Apple and the first Apple product introduced Retina. Noway to go back. Thats a joke!
  • Reply 92 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Just say you don’t understand what’s being said and we’ll explain it more plainly.

Tallest,  I'd love to hear your views on this.  Specifically I'd like to hear your views on H.265 versus H.264.  I have a brother in the video/film industry who is very up to date on the various Codecs that are being developed and follows this quite closely and I'd love to run your ideas by him.   I'm not particularly expert in this area, but if you are, I'm sure we'd all love to hear you expound your views in this area. 

• Reply 93 of 137
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I think its pretty obvious a 8" 4:3 ratio tablet is too big to be used like a phone....  I guess it could be done with an android 7" 16:9 ratio tablet, above that you need to be a 6'5" + football player.

Or not really ever use the device AS a phone, meaning voice. A check of the voice minutes on people's devices could be instructive. Between texting, the FaceTime variants and email as I understand it the tend in voice continues downward. So the larger mini does what people complain about with the 5/5s etc. give people that bigger more easily visible, screen display: for reading at a cheaper cost.

My hugely major usage of my "phone" is as a mobile computer, I'd think that other than some fashion trend (and the android fringe) people complaining about the size of the iPhone want that phablet's bigger screen to read: hence the bigger screen of the mini fits that bill and with LTE with a cheaper mobile system connection cost to boot.

The voice usage trend is ever downward…. though as a note added in admission: My lifetime cellular usage dating back to my bought the first day 3Gs? 2 hours 10 minutes…. but in the wild I see far more people looking at the phone than talking/listening to it.

• Reply 94 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I am not quite sure I understand how people can have problems fitting a 4" phone into there pocket while I can do it my 7.9" iPad mini

Good point, I knew I should have said more but it wasn't supposed to be a fashion post ;)

It depends, of course, on what you're wearing. If you have big patch/cargo pockets it's not an issue. However, I like to carry my phone in an inside jacket pocket (more secure, more likely to feel the vibrate when the ringer has to be off) and these are sometimes quite small, even in casual jackets never mind suits. Also, when it's hot, trouser pockets can be pretty small and there is a comfort/looks issue too 8-)  Sorry to be vain.

• Reply 95 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

But the question is whether all the people currently putting down the idea of a larger screen iPhone will turn around and start embracing it when Apple releases it.

Do you know how dangerous it is around here to question anything that Apple does?  ;) 

• Reply 96 of 137

13 inch iPad with a 4k resolution would be nice.

5 inch iPhone?  Yes please.

That gives users of iPad and iPhone a bit more choice.  And suck the air out the room for competitors.

Kind of inevitable.  A bigger iPad and iPhone are coming.  You don't introduce 'desktop' class cpus without being on the cusp of even more growth.

It's also called putting the boot into Samsung, M$, Intel etc.  A7, A8 etc...

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 97 of 137
    Apple will make a larger screen phone sooner or later whether some people like it or not. Larger screen phones are the trend and real people have a use for them. Just because one certain person thinks it's absurd, they don't speak for everyone. Just wonder what ol' Steve would think. He clearly stated that no one wants these "Hummer" phones.
  • Reply 98 of 137
    What are [I]real people[/I]?
  • Reply 99 of 137
    People other than the ones on AI saying that no one wants or needs them.
  • Reply 100 of 137
    Originally Posted by Smart Phoney View Post

Apple will make a 2.5 phone sooner or later whether some people like it or not. Larger screen phones are absurd and real people don’t have a use for them. Just because one certain person thinks it won’t happen, they dont speak for everyone. Just wonder what ol' Steve would think. He clearly stated that no one wants these tiny" phones.

You, 2008. The iPhone mini was inevitable. A 3.5” screen on a phone was WAY too big. And then when other companies tried to make their iPhone knockoffs, know what they found? They’d have to do actual work and spend actual money to get their technology to fit in such a small package for anything near a competitive price. So what did they do? They just made it bigger. The battery couldn’t last as long, so they made that bigger, adding weight and thickness. The processor couldn’t get that much power that small, so they made the case bigger to fit a larger logic board (and telephony chips). Then they couldn’t have a 3.5” screen taking up only half of the front of the device, so they cut out some TV ppi-quality LCD panels smaller than normal and threw them on. 

What’d they get? 2, 3, 4 hours of battery, software that couldn’t scroll smoothly for the first four years of its existence, and shoddily-built piecemeal plastic nonsense.