Apple seeds second OS X 10.9.1 beta with Mail improvements, Safari 6.1.1 [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by trippy View Post

The time it takes to launch apps. The disk activity that goes with it. I counted 31 bounces and another 25 seconds  before iPhoto opened. That's not an isolated occurrance - other apps also take excessive amounts to time to start. 

Under load the machine is unresponsive, unusable almost.

[SNIP]

See, this is why I ask.

With the exception of the aforementioned TimeMachine problem I am having and can't seem to fix, Mavericks runs smooth as silk for me, and even fixed a few problems I was having in ML (w/ Mail, for instance).

So it's always interesting to hear what others' experiences are.

I will say this, though: There are certain problems I'm unlikely to face, maybe, as opposed to you.  I have a Fusion Drive, for example, and applications pretty much open instantaneously -- even those which I never use (I just tried with iDVD, which I don't think I've opened in many years).

As to the other problems, don't know.  I hope you get them fixed, though.

• Reply 22 of 55

Okay, my apologies to everyone, sincerely. I'm using a mid 2012 MacBook Air 1.8GHz, 4GB RAM 128SSD. I and others are getting these momentary beachballs. They last only a second, and do no affect performance at least not for me. It starts after a clean install, or if I install on top of Mountain Lion. They're more  irksome than anything. I've read this over at MacRummors. It could be a minority of us that are experiencing this, but I swear to you they do exist. Some thought it was because of the Time Colaser. I just wish I knew why I'm getting them. I've never noticed them on Mountain Lion.

Other than that I love Mavericks. It's a move in the right  direction. I hope they add more features  that are iOS like.

I'm sincerely sorry. To the poster I called an A hole.....I'm sincerely sorry. And not to be redundant sincere apologies  all around. I like this forum and would like to be more active in it. My post was subjective and emotional. 

If you guy's give me one more chance, I promise you no more subjective and emotional posts.

Sincerely,

Slide

• Reply 23 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

As to the other problems, don't know.  I hope you get them fixed, though.

Thanks, I hope so too!

This just happened as I was replying to you...!

• Reply 24 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slide023 View Post

Okay, my apologies to everyone, sincerely. I'm using a mid 2012 MacBook Air 1.8GHz, 4GB RAM 128SSD. I and others are getting these momentary beachballs. They last only a second, and do no affect performance at least not for me. It starts after a clean install, or if I install on top of Mountain Lion. They're more  irksome than anything. I've read this over at MacRummors. It could be a minority of us that are experiencing this, but I swear to you they do exist. Some thought it was because of the Time Colaser. I just wish I knew why I'm getting them. I've never noticed them on Mountain Lion.

Other than that I love Mavericks. It's a move in the right  direction. I hope they add more features  that are iOS like.

I'm sincerely sorry. To the poster I called an A hole.....I'm sincerely sorry. And not to be redundant sincere apologies  all around. I like this forum and would like to be more active in it. My post was subjective and emotional. 

If you guy's give me one more chance, I promise you no more subjective and emotional posts.

Sincerely,

Slide

Eh.  Don't worry about it. :)

Quote:

Thanks, I hope so too!

This just happened as I was replying to you...!

Huh.  I wonder if it's a difference in HW thing?

• Reply 25 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

If you've been following the news, a lot of people have experienced issues between Mavericks Mail and Gmail--so much so that Apple even seeded a Mail beta to developers.

This issue is not really with Apple Mail if you really read those forums. The real issue and the more worrying issue is that Google continues to use a bastard form of IMAP which is not compatible with the IMAP standard.

Apple can't fix that bar telling Google to change to proper IMAP but considering they dislike each other now I can only suspect Google will make the problem worse.

• Reply 26 of 55
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, know what I want to see in 10.9.1? An iTunes that supports h.265 and an iTunes Store that has reencoded all of its content to be h.265 to cut file sizes in HALF. Then it’s just a hop, skip, and a jump to redownloading that delicious, smaller-filed stuff. 

VLC’s latest update added h.265. HandBrake will add it shortly. Come on, Apple! Get back in front of the curve!

Just one problem - Apple hasn't added H.265 hardware decoding to Apple TV or any of its mobile devices yet (as far as I'm aware).

• Reply 27 of 55

Do we have any idea when OS X 10.9.1 Vista will actually be released? 10.9 as it is, is really terrible with many annoyances.

How about you just shut up and go away; how’s that?

The time it takes to launch apps. The disk activity that goes with it. I counted 31 bounces and another 25 seconds  before iPhoto opened. That's not an isolated occurrance - other apps also take excessive amounts to time to start. 

All this crap is isolated to your machine, though. Reinstall.

But oh, my iPad2 is even worse with iOS 7. That's a complete train wreck. But that's another story.

Once upon a time, a liar whined about something he did of his own accord that he wasn’t forced to do. The end.

numb-nuts features, like Autosave and Autoresume.

Enjoy living in 1983. This is how software should have always behaved.

And there's no way to disable them, which is the frustrating part.

Enjoy pretending you’re not lying.

Take away everything else that came with Lion and onwards, because it's junk. Utter garbage.

So why are you whining at all? Just shut up, reinstall Snow Leopard, and give up on the future.

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Just one problem - Apple hasn't added H.265 hardware decoding to Apple TV or any of its mobile devices yet (as far as I'm aware).

So? Software update. It doesn’t need to be hardware decoding yet.

• Reply 28 of 55
    Quote:

... vitriol ... more vitriol ... all-I-know-is-vitriol vitriol

I have an issue with some software.

You have bigger issues.

• Reply 29 of 55
    Quote:

I have a well-specced-out 2009 iMac that ran like a dream under Snow Leopard. But with every new release of OS X Apple just keeps adding really numb-nuts features, like Autosave and Autoresume. And there's no way to disable them, which is the frustrating part.

Oh, btw: These are change-able in Settings.  

PS: One thing that DOES bother me, and I don't understand (just me being dumb, I'm sure), is when I'm involved in Safari (say), and I click on Settings, do some stuff, and Quit -- all of a sudden it slashes me over to iTunes (which I have set fullscreen in a different Space).  What is that about?  Do I have something set incorrectly in the Settings?  It's weird.  It should set me back to Safari, no?

• Reply 30 of 55

And are pretending it’s an inherent issue with said software and not just something on your machine.

You have bigger issues.

You certainly do. Grow up, please.

• Reply 31 of 55
    dude, never say anything bad about apple on this site, the fan boys will lynch you. apple could shit in theire mouth and they will say yum please more.

apple mail does have issues however i realize that i am an idiot and i obviously clicked on the update button incorrectly. that patch that apple is working on is not to fix bugs because all apple software is perfect. its to make the version number look nicer.
  • Reply 32 of 55
    Quote:

So… nothing but insults and a continued refusal to explain anything you’re talking about.

That’s nice.

Hmm, which banned ex-forum moderator does this remind me of?

• Reply 33 of 55
    Originally Posted by Marcel655 View Post

dude, never lie about apple on this site, the fan boys will lynch you.

Fixed. Don’t be obtuse.

• Reply 34 of 55

Anyone struggling with slowness, spinning beach balls, etc. should start a thread on Apple's Community forum (https://discussions.apple.com/community/mac_os/os_x_mavericks?view=discussions).  Plenty of expert advice and help.  Lots of users are having problems with Mavericks but there is usually a solution.  A good place to start is by running EtreCheck (http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck) and post the results on the Community forum.

• Reply 35 of 55
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

My post was not about Gmail. It was about beach balls. You might want to re-read and check the context.

Just stop. If you have beach balls, you have a problem with your HDD, or some corruption in the installation of the OS or a particular App.

Its the OS out of the box...its your unique machine and scenario. But, much easier to whine ignorantly about, "Mavericks got problems" and blame Apple, then to deal with a complicated issue.

I've been working on Macs professionally for nearly 2 decades....and OS X from its first day. If I see beach balls, I know it has NOTHING to do with Apple's programming.

• Reply 36 of 55
    Quote:

You have bigger issues.

No, you have issues with your machine. Very typical of un-educated computer users to throw their hands up, blame the maker, and whine on the internet.

That always fixes problems.

• Reply 37 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slide023 View Post

Sincerely,

Slide

Take it to Apple. Before you run out of warranty.

• Reply 38 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Oh, btw: These are change-able in Settings.  

PS: One thing that DOES bother me, and I don't understand (just me being dumb, I'm sure), is when I'm involved in Safari (say), and I click on Settings, do some stuff, and Quit -- all of a sudden it slashes me over to iTunes (which I have set fullscreen in a different Space).  What is that about?  Do I have something set incorrectly in the Settings?  It's weird.  It should set me back to Safari, no?

I have no idea, mate. Sounds strange to me.

• Reply 39 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marcel655 View Post

dude, never say anything bad about apple on this site, the fan boys will lynch you.

But... but... it's amusing. Why not?

What's even more amusing is when some sad little duibo changes your words from "say anything bad" to "lie", as if to suggest that Apple couldn't possibly do anything wrong, or worse, be anything less than perfect.

• Reply 40 of 55
    My
    This issue is not really with Apple Mail if you really read those forums. The real issue and the more worrying issue is that Google continues to use a bastard form of IMAP which is not compatible with the IMAP standard.

Apple can't fix that bar telling Google to change to proper IMAP but considering they dislike each other now I can only suspect Google will make the problem worse.
    My whole family and I have now stopped using google mail since 2 weeks ago we discovered you can't email a keynote file as an attachment to a google mail address. Google mail thinks keynote files are malicious or executable files for some reason and blocks them. I switched to icloud email long ago but my wife and kids hung onto gmail, against my advise. Google search engine is the best, yes, but everything else google does is crap and I want nothing to do with it.

Mavericks is great. The only issue I've had is computer freeze while using the new version of keynote. But I attribute this to the new iWork. It's buggy and will get fixed in the next few updates I'm sure.