Apple seeds second OS X 10.9.1 beta with Mail improvements, Safari 6.1.1 [u]

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Just stop. If you have beach balls, you have a problem with your HDD, or some corruption in the installation of the OS or a particular App.

Its the OS out of the box...its your unique machine and scenario. But, much easier to whine ignorantly about, "Mavericks got problems" and blame Apple, then to deal with a complicated issue.

I've been working on Macs professionally for nearly 2 decades....and OS X from its first day. If I see beach balls, I know it has NOTHING to do with Apple's programming.

You have me confused with the original poster. I was mocking him as you are. The guy waltzes in here squawking about beach balls and demands Apple do something about it. He has no clue but makes a statement as if it is a known fact. What’s even more hilarious about these bozos is that every time an update is rumored, announced, released we get these same inane comments. “I hope this fixes my annoying bug that no one else has but I am certain everyone has experienced.” “Apple better fix such and such this time or else.” And then when their bug remains they go into a rage about “Steve is dead and Apple’s QA sucks now.” “Don’t they test this stuff before they release it.” These types become literally obsessed with their issue. They focus totally on it. They think about it all day long. They invent an entire universe of similarly minded misfits. They count Google hits. They report pages and views in Apple’s discussion forums. They start blogs and invite fellow bitchers and whiners to pile on. They threaten to expose Apple’s hidden agenda and personal vendetta against them. They claim they are moving to another platform in revenge but they keep on raging away. And they start petitions!

• Reply 42 of 55
    Originally Posted by trippy View Post

…duibo…

What is a ‘duibo’? When Urban Dictionary doesn’t even have a single definition (used by one guy and his friends in one town, downvoted to oblivion), that tells me you just got the word wrong.

Is it a portmanteau of ‘dweeb’ and ‘guido’? I’m neither Italian nor a dweeb.

…changes your words from “say anything bad” to “lie”…

Right, because that’s when you get people defending Apple. Not what you claim.

…as if to suggest that Apple couldn’t possibly do anything wrong, or worse, be anything less than perfect.

Nice strawman. When you want to actually discuss anything whatsoever, including your original problems that only your machine is having, feel free to post again.

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

And they start petitions!

Five signatures down, 99,995 to go!

• Reply 43 of 55

Anyone else use Reminders?  I found that reminders work really well to keep my calendar uncluttered.  I use them as a suspense file....have around 15 categories and a total of maybe 300 reminders which pop up at the appropriate time to...remind me of stuff.  Then if it's important enough to go into a calendar I can do that.

The reason I ask is that since I find it such a powerful tool I naturally notice all the things that could stand improvement.  Anyone else on board with this one?  And, if so, do you find that Reminders is kind of flaky in many respects (Ex:  Completed items take a long time to move, sometimes do not move, move to the top instead of another page, and in ios7 we lost the ability to select a calendar date from a real calendar to see what's happening on that date in all categories.

I'd kind of like to see some work in this area as well as in Mail, which still has not recovered.

• Reply 44 of 55
    pdnoble wrote: »
    15,000 systems administrators searching for answers likely means 150,000, even 1.5 million pissed off corporate users.

I'd be pissed off if my PC had to connect to Exchange!
  • Reply 45 of 55
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Everybody thinks their experience is typical. No one wants to admit they have no clue what’s going on. Reach out and blame somebody else is the solution?

Does this include the people saying that they themselves are not having problems?

• Reply 46 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BNZ V3 View Post

What beach balls? I've been running 10.9 Since Beta 4, runs silky smooth. Maybe you should stop taking your one (probably made up) problem and making it into something greater.

Your experience is just as anecdotal as Slide023’s — you see that, right …?

• Reply 47 of 55
    I've had a ton of problems with Mavericks based on MS Exchange while using Mac Mail and Outlook (Mac). There are tons of postings with many people having similar issues. Our IT shop is best in class and we had to roll back to Lion. I hope this release fixes problems.
  • Reply 48 of 55

It's more than one problem. Encode times for H.265 are still very slow. I read that some encoders take a minute to encode just one frame. Accordingly to some of the developers of Handbrake it will take a few years before we see a widespread use of the new standard.

• Reply 49 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beezlegrunk View Post

Your experience is just as anecdotal as Slide023’s — you see that, right …?

That's something I've considered. Yet my experience proves, at least to me (a person running non-apple hardware at that) that the OS itself runs fine. Email works fine (don't use gmail), Exchange works fine (on both machines I use). It's important to remember that the people who go online to complain are a VERY small minority. It's much more rare to have something work well and find yourself posting about it in a forum.

On my not apple Mac - I did a TRUE clean install with a NEW HDD and DID NOT use migration assistant. I then used the tried and true drag and drop method to bring apps onto my 10.9 system disk. Now I am slightly anal with my data organization so I have saves of all my installer files (of apps downloaded) and their associated serial numbers. Thus If an app required me to reenter a serial, I was good, if an app had to be reinstalled I was good. I don't have a complicated network setup so my preferences are fairly vanilla. It runs AWESOME!!

On my work (corporate setting, large network, exchange email, connected to 4 different servers at once) Mac Mini (previously running 10.7.5), I took the 500GB HDD, and made a 100GB partition. On that 100GB partition I did a fresh install of 10.9. I then used Migration Assistant to transfer everything over from the 400GB partition (only 40GB was being used). After the M.A. finished I restarted to the 100GB partition and used it for a few days to make sure everything was working smoothly. After I determined it was safe, I wiped the 400GB partition, then Carbon Copy Cloned the 100GB partition to the now empty 400GB partition. After the clone I erased the 100GB partition and changed the 400GB partition back to the full 500GB of the HDD. Mac Mini runs well, not great. Even with the new memory architecture the 4GB of ram isn't enough for the work I do on the mini (if only they'd let me make my own).
    That seems to be the only issue I've seen. I run Adobe Illustrator, Safari, Suitcase Fusion 3, Mail, and TorBrowser simultaniously. It's a little to much for the little thing (and it runs really hot (60c+ always - even on 10.7.5)

Some things to note, if your IT dept updated to a .0 release, shame on them. It's been known since 1776 that you don't update to a .0 release unless you are willing to deal with the initial bugs.
  • Reply 50 of 55
    sporlosporlo Posts: 143member
    You should not have to clean install every new update just to make it run smoothly.

I too am getting beachball cursor syndrome with 10.9. Additionally, overall performance has been generally more unstable than the latest 10.8 (not slow, it's just as fast). Attacking every person experiencing a bug is pointless.

Also, just because an initial release is buggy doesn't mean I don't appreciate the new features. I've been using Macs for over 15 years too, but how does that mean anything at all?

Last time I checked no one makes perfect software. Apple is no exception. I could do a whole spiel on iOS 7 too, but that's for a diff. thread.
  • Reply 51 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

No, you have issues with your machine. Very typical of un-educated computer users to throw their hands up, blame the maker, and whine on the internet.

That always fixes problems.

Spastic.

• Reply 52 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sporlo View Post

You should not have to clean install every new update just to make it run smoothly.

Last time I checked no one makes perfect software. Apple is no exception......

there are many things in life you shouldn't have to do.......

a clean install of a .0 release is maybe always best for long term stability.

• Reply 53 of 55
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky King View Post

Anyone else use Reminders?  I found that reminders work really well to keep my calendar uncluttered.  I use them as a suspense file....have around 15 categories and a total of maybe 300 reminders which pop up at the appropriate time to...remind me of stuff.  Then if it's important enough to go into a calendar I can do that.

The reason I ask is that since I find it such a powerful tool I naturally notice all the things that could stand improvement.  Anyone else on board with this one?  And, if so, do you find that Reminders is kind of flaky in many respects (Ex:  Completed items take a long time to move, sometimes do not move, move to the top instead of another page, and in ios7 we lost the ability to select a calendar date from a real calendar to see what's happening on that date in all categories.

I'd kind of like to see some work in this area as well as in Mail, which still has not recovered.

Yeah, I use Reminders, though not as much as you do.  And I've noticed some flakiness, too, though it seems to work pretty well most of the time.

Personally, I think that Clock/Alarm/Reminders/Calendar need to be synced together a bit more well.

• Reply 54 of 55

You've just described my experience with 10.9 as well. Absolutely awful. If this is post-Jobs Apple, count me out. 

– signed, 

An exclusive Mac user since 1986

• Reply 55 of 55
    You've just described my experience with reading your post as well.

Would you rather see a rimmjob? Anyhow, bye.