Apple fixes USB HDD issues with AirPort Extreme, Time Capsule firmware update

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 30

    Why would Apple need to fix this?

     

    Nothing Apple releases is ever broken. And I resent any suggestion to the contrary.

  • Reply 22 of 30
    Rolled my eyes when I saw I had to find a support downloads page. When I got to my iMac I was pleasantly surprised to find the AirPort Utility window already open with a red badge (1) showing on the icon for my AirPort Extreme. Clicked on it and the little pop up window showed update pending. Clicked that and it updated. No muss, no fuss, no hunting down web pages. Nice anticipation of my needs, Apple.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member

    time-capsule 3rd gen, hdd connected by powered usb hub

    i can "see" my external open TC then edit > there it is 

    my problem

    i moved my iTunes and iPhoto library to the external to free up space on my new MBP 256 ssd (sweet)

     

    i can use iTunes sync my iPhone 4s and view pics

     

    BUT

    can't see photo's on my apple tv or sync photo albums to my 4s from iTunes  my iPhone has camera roll and photo stream thats it no selected albums---itunes>photo tab (open) spinning disk

     

    iTunes sharing > choose photos to share on aTV   spinning disk

     

    HOWEVER  when i directly connect the external hd to my sweet MBP it shows up syncs photo albums and i can see on ATV and my selected albums are back on my iPhone 

     

    so there is still a glitch

     

    i directed both iTunes and iPhoto to this drive 

     

    TC doesn't work very well with external HD

     

    more and more people are putting high gb volume on external 

     

    got the TC very few ac router's have usb support for external (asus does but terrible speed and distance, returned and got the TC)

    SO FIX IT APPLE

     

    apple should give a picture of what to expect from this firmware update---what should my "home" look like i don't see the external till i open up TC or using airport utility

     

    any of you have a work around or a solution ---put my question on both iTunes and iPhoto apple discussion

  • Reply 24 of 30
    I have just upgraded to the new AE and put the latest firmware on. I'll run some tests tomorrow, but that seems to be working well with a MBP and ATV3 using an external USB (SATA3) hard drive.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member

    I have AC time capsule 3tb 

    test to see if you can "see" your iPhoto albums on ATV and select albums in iTunes to sync with your iphont

    i couldn't do either i fixed it by moving my iPhoto library BACK to my MBP now both ATV and iTunes  see my albums 

  • Reply 26 of 30
    The new AEBS does not pick up my external RAID with 3x4TB drives connected via USB 3.0. I had hoped it would see it at the single 8TB volume that is the result of RAID10.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    solipsismx wrote: »
    The new AEBS does not pick up my external RAID with 3x4TB drives connected via USB 3.0. I had hoped it would see it at the single 8TB volume that is the result of RAID10.

    Does your iMac see a single volume when plugged in directly?
  • Reply 28 of 30
    philboogie wrote: »
    Does your iMac see a single volume when plugged in directly?

    It does, which is why I had hoped my AEBS would see it as such. I'm not sure if it's a limitation of the AEBS seeing the RAID or USB 3.0, but I would guess the former.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    solipsismx wrote: »
    It does, which is why I had hoped my AEBS would see it as such. I'm not sure if it's a limitation of the AEBS seeing the RAID or USB 3.0, but I would guess the former.

    Since AEBS can who a connected HDD I presume it's not RAID nor USB. More likely, the protocol being used. I simply know you've poked around in the Airport Utiliy v6. But what about v5.6, which has more refined settings than the limited upgraded version? How about a webbrowser? CIFS, SMB, anything through Terminal? smb://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/share might just work. There are some discussions going on on Apple's site (as usual) but I cannot imagine you haven't taken a gander there already (?)

    edit: supposedly one also needs to enable File Sharing on your OSX box
  • Reply 30 of 30
    philboogie wrote: »
    Since AEBS can who a connected HDD I presume it's not RAID nor USB. More likely, the protocol being used. I simply know you've poked around in the Airport Utiliy v6. But what about v5.6, which has more refined settings than the limited upgraded version? How about a webbrowser? CIFS, SMB, anything through Terminal? smb://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/share might just work. There are some discussions going on on Apple's site (as usual) but I cannot imagine you haven't taken a gander there already (?)

    edit: supposedly one also needs to enable File Sharing on your OSX box

    I really haven't tried since I know Apple has continually tried to lock down their AirPort solutions. They used to allow SNMP monitoring but they removed it a generation or two ago.

    The iMac my RAID is connected to is shared and works great but it does have some limitations, like not being able to be used as a TM backup drive and needing to be manually connected via Finder every time a Mac notebook comes back to my local LAN. In fact I just requested help on automating this process just yesterday but I doubt I'll be getting any decent solutions.

    I am not able to install OS X Server on this old iMac right now but once I do I then hope it will show up as a Time Machine drive.
Sign In or Register to comment.