Tim Cook vetoes Apple Retail plan to open additional stores on Thanksgiving, gives workers holiday o

Comments

• Reply 21 of 72
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NotScott View Post

Were the Geniuses given something else to think about, or will they be in limbo for a while?

Yes, they were given a not so nice picture of droves of new Apple product owners needing help, clogging the stores from Dec 26 to who knows when.

• Reply 22 of 72
    trippy wrote: »
    Let me get this straight.

The guy "vetoes plans to open additional stores". He says nothing about closing stores that were already planned to be open, and you're all sucking his dick and congratulating him on what a nice guy he is for not screwing up everyone's thanksgiving?

If ever there was a non-story to be read, here it was. Right here.

Like your post, you mean¿
  • Reply 23 of 72
    Although others here often say Apple is just another soul-less corporation, I have always disagreed. This is a good example of corporate soul. Money is important, but other things matter too. Makes me feel that my Apple fanboyism isn't totally unwarranted.
  • Reply 24 of 72
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Tim is a class act.

Indeed he is. Bravo Tim.
  • Reply 25 of 72
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

“Apple would just lose money by opening on Thanksgiving because no one wants their products, like how your local grocery store closes at 8 instead of midnight; can’t justify it with the amount of foot traffic.”

“Apple’s supply shortage is so great they don’t even have any stock to sell on Thanksgiving.”

“Steve Jobs would never have closed on Thanksgiving.”

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

LOL!

We laugh at this and rightly so. But this constant drone of lies and more lies has an effect over time. I’ve been listening to more and more uninformed, parroted nonsense from otherwise normal people about Apple being in trouble. Just one example was from a retired engineer I know who matter-of-factly said, “The iPhone 5c can’t be put in your pocket because it will warp. It’s made out of plastic, you know.”  Now where did he get that idea if not from some stupid troll or article on the Internet? A young student I know has been so indoctrinated by her father that she thinks Samsung is the be-all end-all of everything and that Apple is, well, the spawn of Satan.

What’s worse, when Apple attempts to defend itself from this onslaught they are accused of being scared of the competition, overreacting. The prime example was Phil Schiller’s “can’t innovate, my ass!” outburst. he was vilified and mocked for it.

• Reply 26 of 72
    Quote:

Originally Posted by trippy View Post

Let me get this straight.

The guy "vetoes plans to open additional stores". He says nothing about closing stores that were already planned to be open, and you're all sucking his dick and congratulating him on what a nice guy he is for not screwing up everyone's thanksgiving?

If ever there was a non-story to be read, here it was. Right here.

Maybe I got this wrong, but my understanding from this and another story is that now all US Apple Retail Stores WILL be closed.

All WERE previously planned to be closed on Thanksgiving Day, yet some managers balked, wanted NOT to be closed, and planned to remain open. Tim vetoed that position (ostensibly losing money for the company) and stated that, yes, they all WOULD be closed.

Story: All US Apple Retail stores will be closed on Thanksgiving Day, potentially losing money, but relieving employees of needing to work on a family-oriented holiday.

• Reply 27 of 72

I imagine Apple will still make tons of money through the online Apple Store. The refreshed iOS Apple Store app will make it even easier and more enjoyable for shoppers to part with their money between overstuffed plates of meats and treats.

Gobble, gobble, y'awlll!

• Reply 28 of 72
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    carthusia wrote: »
    Maybe I got this wrong, but my understanding from this and another story is that now all US Apple Retail Stores WILL be closed.

All WERE previously planned to be closed on Thanksgiving Day, yet some managers balked, wanted NOT to be closed, and planned to remain open. Tim vetoed that position (ostensibly losing money for the company) and stated that, yes, they all WOULD be closed.

Story: All US Apple Retail stores will be closed on Thanksgiving Day, potentially losing money, but relieving employees of needing to work on a family-oriented holiday.

I doubt they will lose money. Apple is open for Black Friday and every day until Christmas.
  • Reply 29 of 72
    Originally Posted by trippy

[all posts]

Shut up and go away.

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Just one example was from a retired engineer I know who matter-of-factly said, “The iPhone 5c can’t be put in your pocket because it will warp. It’s made out of plastic, you know.”

Was he Bob Mansfield retired or was he Steve Ballmer retired? That’s an important distinction.

• Reply 30 of 72
    Thanks Tim! Nice to she Leadership at its best. A rare commodity these days actuall thinking about your employees how refreshing.
  • Reply 31 of 72
    Tim Cook doesn't have the killer instinct.

I heard that Samsung is making the thirteen employees that work at their four stores work during Thanksgiving.
  • Reply 32 of 72
    I heard that Samsung is making the thirteen employees that work at their four stores work during Thanksgiving.
    Heathen scum! /s/
  • Reply 33 of 72
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NotScott View Post

Were the Geniuses given something else to think about, or will they be in limbo for a while?

What?

The shop's shutting for a day. They'll get over it!

• Reply 34 of 72
    If you want to shop at an Apple store on Thanksgiving ... go to France, dudes!
  • Reply 35 of 72
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Tim understands public relations very well.
  • Reply 36 of 72

Treating your employees like human beings?

Good idea. :P

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 37 of 72
    dsddsd Posts: 186member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

“Apple would just lose money by opening on Thanksgiving because no one wants their products, like how your local grocery store closes at 8 instead of midnight; can’t justify it with the amount of foot traffic.”

“Apple’s supply shortage is so great they don’t even have any stock to sell on Thanksgiving.”

“Steve Jobs would never have closed on Thanksgiving.”

"Ultraliberal Apple CEO leads War On Thanksgiving."

• Reply 38 of 72

The fact that the Retail Market Directors objected to this is scary because they are putting profit first and what's right second. Apple is losing its DNA. 

• Reply 39 of 72
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member

If this story is to be believed, it sounds like a bunch of retail marketing directors were ready to screw over their store personnel to cash in for themselves, which deserves some swift whacks upside their heads. Funny thing about would-be prima donnas and Apple; perhaps they don't "get it," just like John Browett didn't get it. And maybe Scott Forstall as well. Tim Cook knows how to respect Apple's customers, and likewise, he doesn't want Apple to gain a reputation for treating its employees like they work for WalMart.

• Reply 40 of 72
    This is why I'm a big fan of Apple products they think of their employees and their customers