Tim Cook vetoes Apple Retail plan to open additional stores on Thanksgiving, gives workers holiday o

Comments

• Reply 41 of 72
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Although others here often say Apple is just another soul-less corporation, I have always disagreed. This is a good example of corporate soul. Money is important, but other things matter too. Makes me feel that my Apple fanboyism isn't totally unwarranted.

I couldn't have said it better, Robin! 

It always seems strange to me that in America, "Shareholder rights" somehow trump morality! Tim's action renews my faith! :)

BTW: F Walmart and Target!

• Reply 42 of 72
    Apple got paid by Samscum, so they don't need to squeeze the store employees. LOL
  • Reply 43 of 72

The Empire won't fall if you spend Thanksgiving with family, friends. Spending the day running up credit card debt is shear insanity... Wall Street is happy of course,,Washington DC is happy of course....

The whole process of pumping up peoples 'wants' is really disgusting in general, and using Thanksgiving is particularly so....It is a uniquely American, and Canadian holiday-giving thanks for our blessings.  

If you can't contain your own 'wants' for 24 hours, its really a shame. But if getting that 'doorbuster' is so important, go for it.  I always enjoy the pictures of Target or KMart or Walmart doors jammed with people acting like fools. 

Same with spending time shopping online that day, seems like a waste of effort and time. 

I applaud Apple for not being part of the zoo- and Costco and others. 

Seems the company's that really value their customers and employees are the successful ones. Great places to work and to shop.

• Reply 44 of 72
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by water cooler View Post

Apple got paid by Samscum, so they don't need to squeeze the store employees. LOL

A snarky comment, don't you think?

Since you brought it up, here's a perspective on this week's $290 million jury award. Added to the previous undisputed $600 million that was awarded to Apple in the earlier trial, the total to be paid by Samsung is in the neighborhood of $900 million. That's chump change, considering Apple's size - about 10 days worth of profits for a company that reported $37 billion net income for fiscal 2013.

• Reply 45 of 72
    When they say Market Director, it's Apple's equivalence to a District Manager. It has nothing to do with marketing at all. Apple stores have different Markets, like Target has different District or Region. It's a bit confusing but that's what I was told by a friend who works at Apple Store.
  • Reply 46 of 72
    Those marketing executives that want the stores open should have to man the stores themselves.

you can be certain that no such execs would be anywhere near an Apple Store on Thanksgiving Day, were they to open then.

kudos to Cook
  • Reply 47 of 72
    Treating your employees like human beings?

it's never thanksgiving day in china...
  • Reply 48 of 72
    Skil Tool wrote: »
    “Apple would just lose money by opening on Thanksgiving because no one wants their products, like how your local grocery store closes at 8 instead of midnight; can’t justify it with the amount of foot traffic.”
    “Apple’s supply shortage is so great they don’t even have any stock to sell on Thanksgiving.”
    “Steve Jobs would never have closed on Thanksgiving.”

wtf? sarcasm tag missing?
  • Reply 49 of 72
    If true, strong leader setting a great example. Either way, best CEO in the world.
  • Reply 50 of 72
    I think Tim Cook is a nice and good and understanding man. Any one of you WHO feel you MUST shop till you drop, do it on the Internet, using the Apple site.
  • Reply 51 of 72
    I think the world has underestimated how good a CEO Tim Cook is, and how important he is for Apple today.

The arrogant, brash style of Steve Jobs would not have worked so well in a company that is the market leader. It is ok when Apple was a small struggling company, but not when its a market leader.

Also, Apple today is not about the home run hit products, it is about increasing efficiency, production, lowering prices, etc. No one does it better than Tim Cook. There is enough innovation in Apple that their products will be awesome for years, but the real edge will come from refining processes endlessly.

But more than anything else, Apple can't be seen as not caring for staff or customers. The "you aren't holding it right" will not be tolerated from a large, successful company.
  • Reply 52 of 72
    vaporland wrote: »
    it's never thanksgiving day in china...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditional_Chinese_holidays
  • Reply 53 of 72
    Nice PR Stunt by Tim Cook. So Tim Cook gets to chose which employees get to "the importance of allowing retail employees to be with their families"? My friend who is a manager at the Elk Grove HQ already scheduled hundreds of employees to work Thanksgiving and Christmas, that's just one dept, and some of my other friends in Cupertino are doing the same thing, because God Forbid, someone can't get on Facebook on their Apple products during precious times with their families. So Tim Cook want to be like Costco, well Costco shut the whole company down for Thanksgiving and Christmas, that includes IT, Retail, Shipping, Delivery, Warehouse, every inch of Costco is shut down so their employees can spent time with families, they don't pick and chose and throw some PR rubbish out to the media.
  • Reply 54 of 72
    Originally Posted by Hieu Luu View Post

Nice PR Stunt by Tim Cook.

Shut up.

So Tim Cook gets to chose which employees get to "the importance of allowing retail employees to be with their families"?

Yep, he’s the CEO. If you don’t like it, you become the CEO.

…some of my other friends in Cupertino are doing the same thing, because God Forbid, someone can’t get on Facebook on their Apple products during precious times with their families.

1. What does Facebook access have to do with Apple products?

2. You’d prefer every single company in the country shut down? That’s nice. Enjoy your Amish Thanksgiving with no power, water supply, gas to get home when it’s over, ability to rush out and get another thing of egg nog because the one you’ve been drinking has been entirely vodka for the last half hour, etc.

Some people couldn’t care less about the holiday. Maybe they want to work to keep civilization running.

• Reply 55 of 72
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hieu Luu View Post

Nice PR Stunt by Tim Cook. So Tim Cook gets to chose which employees get to "the importance of allowing retail employees to be with their families"? My friend who is a manager at the Elk Grove HQ already scheduled hundreds of employees to work Thanksgiving and Christmas, that's just one dept, and some of my other friends in Cupertino are doing the same thing, because God Forbid, someone can't get on Facebook on their Apple products during precious times with their families. So Tim Cook want to be like Costco, well Costco shut the whole company down for Thanksgiving and Christmas, that includes IT, Retail, Shipping, Delivery, Warehouse, every inch of Costco is shut down so their employees can spent time with families, they don't pick and chose and throw some PR rubbish out to the media.

This is only a rumor, attributed to ifoapplestore.com. For all we know, they made it up. Echo sites are re-reporting it as "news" and by the time AppleInsider hears about it (they're usually the last to, since they're feed scrapers), they've erased any doubt and presented it as fact. But the one thing you cannot say is that Apple issued a press release about this.

• Reply 56 of 72
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    hieu luu wrote: »

This is your complaint?
  • Reply 57 of 72

It's never thanksgiving day @ the Foxconn plant in china

FTFY

/was sarcasm/
  • Reply 58 of 72
    "I'm sure that the Apple store employees will enjoy their Thanksgiving day off by going shopping at stores where the employees are working their butts off on Thanksgiving Day..."

Nope. The last thing Apple Retail employees want to do is go shopping when the next day they have to deal with the insanity of Black Friday. I'd say most retail workers avoid shopping at all Thanksgiving weekend.
  • Reply 59 of 72

Apple RETAIL is losing its DNA, not Apple corporate.

• Reply 60 of 72
    Originally Posted by synthetase View Post

Apple RETAIL is losing its DNA, not Apple corporate.

Sure it is.