Amazon's Black Friday deals kick off today, with new bargains every 10 minutes throughout the week

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Amazon is getting a head start on the competition by launching its Black Friday deals a full five days early, promising new bargains every 10 minutes throughout the week. Here's a quick preview of some of the sales the online retailer will be offering.

Amazon

Amazon has promised that the items included below will be available at "various times" throughout the week. Sales start today, and will carry through Black Friday weekend, lasting a full week. Deals will include:

Electronics: Toys: Video Games: Books and Movies: Kitchen: Tools: DIY: Pets: Music: Baby: Fashion and Apparel:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39

May as well just remove the Samsung products from that list.

• Reply 2 of 39
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator

Well, it's about time we had some Spongebob discounts. This links to waterproof cameras though as do some of the others.
    <li>45% off Perky-Pet Copper Triple Tube Bird Feeder</ul>

This is the problem with the Amazon sales is that they sell things so cheaply normally that the sale is pretty much trying to get rid of junk you wouldn't normally buy the rest of the year. It would be better if they just did select sales of things people actually wanted like sell 1,000 iPod Touches at half price or something. It would cost them some money but they'd make it up with the added traffic.
  • Reply 3 of 39

The links don't work properly. I clicked on the Nikon D3200 offer (with apparently a 2-lens kit) for under $500 -- which would be an amazing price -- and I end up with a full page of waterproof camera offers.....

Could be your typical Amazon bait-and-switch. (Thank goodness that site gives me a headache, so if I don't right away get to page I want, I simply leave).

• Reply 4 of 39
    May as well just remove the Samsung products from that list.

Nah, it fits in with the rest of the cheap junk, and that's how Black Friday works: volume over margin.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    The ad above IS A LIE!!

It has a Seiki 50%u201D TV for $229.00 - That deal DOES NOT EXIST%u2026
    TAKE IT DOWN !!!
  • Reply 6 of 39
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

You people are not seeing some of the deals, because they're time limited.

Maybe they haven't gone live yet, or maybe the deal that you were looking at is already done.

• Reply 7 of 39
    Calm down. The article says that the items will be on sale at various times during the week, not that they're necessarily on sale right this instant. (Supposed to be in response to Bwinski... Hit Reply instead of Quote. My bad.)
  • Reply 8 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave MacLachlan View Post

Calm down. The article says that the items will be on sale at various times during the week, not that they're necessarily on sale right this instant. (Supposed to be in response to Bwinski... Hit Reply instead of Quote. My bad.)

No, a lot of the links are in fact broken. I think they're supposed to point to search URLs for the various items, but there's a lot of duplicate links - for example, the first five all take you to the link for the first product in the list.

• Reply 9 of 39
    apple ][ wrote: »
    You people are not seeing some of the deals, because they're time limited.

Maybe they haven't gone live yet, or maybe the deal that you were looking at is already done.

If there is a link, it is natural to presume that the deal is live at present, not in the past or in some possible future.

It would have been more honest to simply link to a generic 'please check back often; this is what's going on now' page, and have the list of deal items without hyperlinks, don't you think?
  • Reply 10 of 39
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

If there is a link, it is natural to presume that the deal is live at present, not in the past or in some possible future.

It would have been more honest to simply link to a generic 'please check back often; this is what's going on now' page, and have the list of deal items without hyperlinks, don't you think?

Some of the links in the article are obviously not correct.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Friday/b/ref=bf2013_bunk_wire?ie=UTF8&node=384082011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-B1&pf_rd_r=1W5A557N09VX1K3ZM4F7&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1673796822&pf_rd_i=507846

You'll see the limited time deals there, which ones are active, which ones have expired and which ones are coming up.

• Reply 11 of 39
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I dunno, blackfriday.com offers links to every product being discounted on every store right now. The idea being that you’d bookmark it if you wanted it and come back to it when time appropriate rather than having to scramble to find that link, day-of, and miss a limited supply deal.

• Reply 12 of 39
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Might have been live at the time it was posted but no guarantee it'll be live when someone reads it.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    While some of you maybe planning to boycott buying anything on Black Friday or Cyber Monday for your own valid reasons.

If you plan on buying items from Amazon anyway like I do for my supplies, please consider buying through http://smile.amazon.com/. Amazon will donate a small part of your purchase (0.5%) to a charity worthy of your choice.

It's not a large sum from your purchase and doesn't cost you anything, it adds up with millions of daily transactions
  • Reply 14 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Might have been live at the time it was posted but no guarantee it'll be live when someone reads it.

Temporal bait and switch.

• Reply 15 of 39
    Temporal bait and switch.

Lol, isn't all bait and switch temporal?
  • Reply 16 of 39

The links work for me now.  Try again.  

• Reply 17 of 39
    Google and Samsung crap? NO THANKS!!!!
  • Reply 18 of 39
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I'm in the market for a new, slim 1080p LED HDTV from between 55" to 65" with a good, responsive interface. Samsung's offerings, even though they come as 3D SmartTVs which I care nothing for, seem to be the best fit all around for my needs, which includes nice thin bezels. If Samsung isn't worth considering what brands/models should I be looking at?
  • Reply 19 of 39
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm in the market for a new, slim 1080p LED HDTV from between 55" to 65" with a good, responsive interface. Samsung's offerings, even though they come as 3D SmartTVs which I care nothing for, seem to be the best fit all around for my needs, which includes nice thin bezels. If Samsung isn't worth considering what brands/models should I be looking at?

We’re actually after a 50-55” ourselves. We don’t give a flying frick about the interface because we’ll be plugging in an Apple TV and never touching anything but volume and power on the TV’s side of things.

There’s LG, Panasonic, Sanyo–we’ve trusted all of them in the past–we even have an old Ölevia that has really stood up to the test of time. It’s, oh… maybe ten years old now. Granted, I think they’re bankrupt now, but still. Refuse to buy Samsung and Sony. Vizio used to be a no-name but they’ve really stepped it up in quality recently, and then Westinghouse makes decent mid-range ones.

If you want a particularly thin one (depth-wise), I think LG does those best. 

• Reply 20 of 39
    solipsismx wrote: »

Panasonic Plasma, LED makes everything look like an episode of Yo Gabba Gabba.