Apple confirms PrimeSense acquisition, deal rumored to be worth $360M

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    globalpix wrote: »
    I was in Israel in June and the drive up the Mediterranean coast from Tel Aviv to Haifa now resembles the Silicon Valley with Apple, Microsoft, Intel, etc. heavily present in shiney new buildings, sometimes in more than one location. Lot of invention going on, in tech and in the medical-technical sphere. Quite amazing.

I have heard it's a good time to be in a startup in that area now.
  • Reply 23 of 78
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I wonder what they will use that technology for? The Apple TV of course but maybe the iMac too.

• Reply 24 of 78
    ascii wrote: »
    I wonder what they will use that technology for? The Apple TV of course but maybe the iMac too.

To uniquely identify individuals in an area… Much more than just those watching TV!
  • Reply 25 of 78
    dnd0ps wrote: »
    Samsung will copy it, then complain about apple patenting natural gestures

Then Apple should give Samsung the finger; it's only natural.
  • Reply 26 of 78
    Would be great if Apple is incorporating this into the Apple TV for a built-in gaming console. They need to move their existing iOS gaming platform to the living room!
  • Reply 27 of 78

All this talk about TV, but I'm thinking their Capri 3D sensor might be more inline with what Apple would be interested in.

http://www.primesense.com/market/mobile/

Here is an article on engadget about the demos they had at Google IO where they stuck a sensor on the back of a Nexus 10 tablet. 

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/15/primesense-demonstrates-capri-3d-sensor/

It is also a bonus negative impact to their competitors with them grabbing all of the technology and patents and taking this companies products off the market. 

• Reply 28 of 78
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">So iOS 8 user only needs to wave instead of touch.</span>

What a horrible future.

The only thing more horrible than the future is the past!
  • Reply 29 of 78
    nealgnealg Posts: 132member
    If I am remembering correctly, Apple was in talks for their tech prior to the deal with MSFT and they said Apple wanted to much control. Maybe, they were pushed for a deal by the change at MSFT.
  • Reply 30 of 78
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    mubaili wrote: »
    So iOS 8 user only needs to wave instead of touch.

And that's an advantage how? You're making no sense. That's a Samsung gimmick.
  • Reply 31 of 78

Sounds like Leap Motion may be in play next.

• Reply 32 of 78
    nikilok wrote: »
    And does there in-house sensor perform as good as Prime Sense's sensor ?

And more importantly , would Microsoft's in-house sensor technology come out as a copy of Prime Sense's tech ?

Does Prime Sense hold patents to there tech ?

Patents are the worst thing ever to happen this industry.
  • Reply 33 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

How about a Hollodeck like the ones in Star Trek, or iBeacon enhancements or new iRobots with computer vision like Data form Star Trek...

This technology has a lot of applications.

Time will tell.

• Reply 34 of 78
    To uniquely identify individuals in an area… Much more than just those watching TV!

Sounds awful. I'd say it'll be 5 years before we see why they bought this crowd, because what I've seen already of this tech it's a joke. They probably are buying up the patents and the talent.
  • Reply 35 of 78
    The only thing more horrible than the future is the past!

I don't know about that, there are a lot of great things about this past which we could do well to use and learn from.
  • Reply 36 of 78
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    nikilok wrote: »
    And does there in-house sensor perform as good as Prime Sense's sensor ?

And more importantly , would Microsoft's in-house sensor technology come out as a copy of Prime Sense's tech ?

Does Prime Sense hold patents to there tech ?

I think Microsoft has been using their own sensing tech for a couple of years now so yes it appears to work pretty well. Of course it 's not entirely built "in-house" (these things seldom are) as MS bought out a couple of 3D sensing tech companies, the biggest being Canesta in 2010. Since then both Qualcomm and Google have followed suit with their own acquisitions of 3D companies. I think that's one of the reasons that Primesense was able to command a premium from Apple. Many of the other players had already been snatched up by other techs.
  • Reply 37 of 78
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    ireland wrote: »
    Patents are the worst thing ever to happen this industry.

Why would you say that. Sure there are bad players in the industry but Apple wouldn't exist today if it wasn't for patents.
  • Reply 38 of 78
    Almost the same as what the shameless copycat pays
  • Reply 39 of 78
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    That was my second thought after the obvious Apple HDTV HW. The current solutions on mobile devices by other vendors aren't very good.

I tend to doubt that this is as much for iOS as it is for Apple TV and for OSX.
    AtV for obvious reasons. OSX because I don't think apple (or many beyond MS for that matter) think touch makes sense on a desktop, but gestures do.
    As for iOS, what do gestures really give you when you altpready have your hands on the device? Just look at Samsung's eyeball control to see this 'solution in search of a problem' approach.
  • Reply 40 of 78
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    From a Bloomberg article earlier this year.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-05-01/apple-s-ive-seen-risking-ios-7-delay-on-software-overhaul-tech.html
    Longer term, Ive also has shown interest in altering how people control their computers. He has met with makers of gesture technology that lets people navigate their gadgets by moving their hands -- without touching the screen, said a personal familiar with those interactions.

I just hope if Apple does something like this they do a better job of implementing it than Samsung. Otherwise it will just be a gimmick that no one wants.