Product (RED) Mac Pro auction brings in $977,000; gold EarPods sold for $461,000

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 94
    starxd wrote: »
    Because your mind is interpreting the background as room-sized walls, when in fact they are just a small case of some kind.  

And I thought those gold earbuds were really, really big.
  • Reply 82 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not any meaningful complaints. I’ve explicitly replied already.

One Apple rep told me this problem affects roughly 500,000 to 1 million iPhone 4S users.

• Reply 83 of 94
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Marvin wrote: »
    There are panels available but the current retail prices are high ($3300):

I was hoping that Apple could push the price down just by getting the volume going.

stourque wrote: »
    I don't care what the calendar says, this was my driveway this morning.

There's astronomical winter and meteorological winter.

Happy that the money is going to a good cause. That some ultra-rich get to have bragging rights over their friends because they have tons of money they can throw around? Not so much.

Sign of the times.

Is that really any different from any other era?
  • Reply 84 of 94

"Is that really any different from any other era?"

The era that comes to mind is The Gilded Age.

• Reply 85 of 94
    Originally Posted by focuspuller View Post

The era that comes to mind is The Gilded Age.

So what’s your complaint here? That people have more money than you?

• Reply 86 of 94

LOL. Not at all. Im sure you will get many compliments on your $461,000 earbuds at the Palm Beach Country Club.

• Reply 87 of 94
    Originally Posted by focuspuller View Post

LOL. Not at all. Im sure you will get many compliments on your $461,000 earbuds at the Palm Beach Country Club.

The sarcasm diminishes from the argument you’re trying to present. And by ‘diminishes’ I mean ‘makes you look like a fool because you obviously believe exactly what I said’.

• Reply 88 of 94
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    jeffdm wrote: »
    I was hoping that Apple could push the price down just by getting the volume going.

As long as the suppliers aren't trying to milk profits by charging a lot for the panels themselves, it should just need Apple to buy a few million. The displays need to go into the iMacs to boost the supply orders though (unless they'd get special prices because of their iOS panel orders). I suppose they could commit to a large order for next year and spend a few months getting the stock built up before they launch unlike last time. They could then intro a Retina iMac at WWDC while still having a Retina Cinema Display to go along with the Mac Pro. People who bought an iMac already can't just buy a Cinema Display instead of a new iMac either because it doesn't have Thunderbolt 2.
  • Reply 89 of 94
    Marvin wrote: »
    As long as the suppliers aren't trying to milk profits by charging a lot for the panels themselves, it should just need Apple to buy a few million. The displays need to go into the iMacs to boost the supply orders though (unless they'd get special prices because of their iOS panel orders). I suppose they could commit to a large order for next year and spend a few months getting the stock built up before they launch unlike last time. They could then intro a Retina iMac at WWDC while still having a Retina Cinema Display to go along with the Mac Pro. People who bought an iMac already can't just buy a Cinema Display instead of a new iMac either because it doesn't have Thunderbolt 2.

I would be surprised if the iMac go 4K (1.5x current resolution) before or at the same time as the Apple Thunderbolt Display. I think yield is an issue, even if they do commit to a large order, but I think price is the reason why it won't be feasible for the iMac until 2015 as well as not available as an Apple Thunderbolt Display. I do hope I'm wrong and we get 4K iMac with the next refresh but it seems like a tall order unless they charge a huge premium for the display and keep the current displays on the market.

edit: This just in…

• Reply 90 of 94
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I would be surprised if the iMac go 4K (1.5x current resolution) before or at the same time as the Apple Thunderbolt Display. I think yield is an issue

If it’s yield that’s the problem, wouldn’t the Thunderbolt Display go 4K long before the iMac since far fewer people buy them?

• Reply 91 of 94

December is rapidly approaching and we'll soon see what "Mac Pro available in December means". Apple often releases new things on a Tuesday, which would mean December 3, 10, 17, 24 or 31. The original statement was due this fall but it probably could be argued that the available in December statement supersedes that. If one was an optimist December 3 would be the order date with availability by Friday and 7-10 days later for a BTO option. If a pessimist, December 31 with availability in February. Anyway, time will tell.

• Reply 92 of 94
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    mpantone wrote: »
    The funds from the winning bidder likely need to be transferred to an escrow account before he/she can take possession of the lot.

Note that the auction house gets a percentage, they certainly will not give up the lot without getting paid. There also might be some IRS paperwork to submit.

Moreover, the winning bidder may have not been physically present. Many auction bidders phone in their bids for anonymity, even if they have the means to attend the auction in person.

This is not a consumer grade auction like eBay or some local yokel auction. You don't use PayPal or a credit card for these types of transactions.

I have never posted anything so misunderstood on AI before ... :D

I simply was wondering out loud if there is actually such a thing as a fully working, sellable Mac Pro yet ... as in ... I want to buy one and want them to be ready ... Hence I was wondering if this proves there is (yippee) or if perhaps this was a mock up (sigh) just for now. Obviously I know the buyer will get a working model at some point.

I was not requiring endless posts explaining the auction process ... but thank you anyway.

If I could go back and re write my post I would :)
  • Reply 93 of 94
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member

If it’s yield that’s the problem, wouldn’t the Thunderbolt Display go 4K long before the iMac since far fewer people buy them?

I doubt anyone buying a 4K monitor in the near future would use anything but a Mac Pro, and I suspect a 4K is coming very soon, hopefully at Mac Pro launch. I doubt iMac will be a priority for support till the next refresh.

BTW is there to be a splashy launch for the Mac Pro or will it just be a quiet addition the the Apple Store and posts on AI and MR?
  • Reply 94 of 94
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

Wait and see  that is all you can do for now.