Massive new Apple patent filing details multi-user support, trackpad controls with Touch ID

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Samsung has put a lot of rivals out of business by copying them. It's not a practice to be taken lightly by competitors. Samsung has made countless billions of dollars from copying Apple. Samsung put a serious kink in Apple's mobile business by copying them and only Apple and Apple shareholders are the big losers while everyone else on the planet and Wall Street seem perfectly happy with that. Crime certainly does pay and not everyone is concerned about morality when it comes to making big money. Apple needs to find better ways of securing their IP or whatever to protect themselves. I'm sure Google is able to protect its search algorithms so that no one else can use them. Apple needs to do the same with its product design.

Apple's iOS user interface wasn't protected well enough and Google was able to copy it pretty easily. That's Apple's fault because Steve Jobs was too trusting and practically gave it away. Let's hope this doesn't happen again in the future. Free Android is about the worst thing that could have ever happened to Apple and it appears to be impossible for Apple to take it down or even make any headway against it.

You're sadly misinformed. Samsung didn't pop up overnight and start making billions by copying Apple, they were already making it and a major player in the handset business. We all saw the dismal sales number of the phone that looked most like the iPhone. Their smartphone business didn't really take off until the SGS 3 which design wise was different from the iPhone and Touch Wiz was changed so it didn't look exactly like iOS. Copying hasn't made them successful, being different has. You might think otherwise but numbers don't lie.
  • Reply 42 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Secular Investor View Post

Yes, you are right that I was referring to Apple's Multi Touch patent:  U.S. Patent No. 7,663,607 described as a "multipoint touchscreen" which  lies at the heart of touch screen technology. Both Palm and Motorola have tried unsuccessfully to claim it was invalid, (other patents, prior art etc.) However, the Federal Court Of Appeal ruled in favour of Apple and found the patent valid. This is what one of the appeal  judges commented:

""The Smartphone has defined modern life. Be it in the workplace, the home, airports, or entertainment venues across America, individuals are tethered to their handheld devices. Not long ago, users primarily spoke into these devices. Today, fingers tapping, grazing, pinching, or scrolling the screen is a ubiquitous image that reflects how we conduct business, work, play, and live. The asserted patent in this case is an invention that has propelled not just technology, but also dramatically altered how humans across the globe interact and communicate. It marks true innovation."

Furthermore the USPTO has fallen in line with the Appeal Court's ruling and has rejected all the anonymous objections (presumably by Samsung and/or Motorola/Google) regarding Apple's 20 claims relating to another patent, No. 7,479,949, which is another critical Apple Multi Touch with wide scope, otherwise known as Steve Jobs "Heuristics" Patent  "touchscreen device, method and graphical user interface for determining commands by applying heuristics……...On September 4, the USPTO issued a certificate which states: "No amendments have been made to the patent. As a result of the re-examination, it has been determined that: The patentability of claims 1-20 is confirmed."

techradar(DOT)com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/apple-s-crucial-multi-touch-patent-claims-confirmed-by-uspto-1190752

Samsung have been found guilty by the ITC of infringing on the "949" patent. Apple are requesting a ban on all Samsung devices which infringe this patent and this request will later be extended to all other infringing Samsung and Droid devices

?This is very, very significant and it is difficult to see how any of Apple's rivals will be able to create a workaround to these two crucial Multi Touch patent. 

Good lord Mr Investor!  You do need to calm down!  You sound very angry!  You also sound like the type of person who only wants Apple smartphones and nothing else on the market.  It will be a sad day if this ever happened!

Blobby, blobby, blooby!

• Reply 43 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You're sadly misinformed. Samsung didn't pop up overnight and start making billions by copying Apple, they were already making it and a major player in the handset business. We all saw the dismal sales number of the phone that looked most like the iPhone. Their smartphone business didn't really take off until the SGS 3 which design wise was different from the iPhone and Touch Wiz was changed so it didn't look exactly like iOS. Copying hasn't made them successful, being different has. You might think otherwise but numbers don't lie.

Didn't some commentators remark a while back that the SGS 3 was designed by lawyers specifically to look different from the iPhone?

• Reply 44 of 48
    d4njvrzf wrote: »
    Didn't some commentators remark a while back that the SGS 3 was designed by lawyers specifically to look different from the iPhone?

That was the rumor but I doubt that it's true.
  • Reply 45 of 48
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    This makes me optimistic for the post-SJ AAPL future.
  • Reply 46 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Three years ago, before the iPad was even announced, I wrote up something that explicitly utilized this idea on a touchscreen. When you know which finger is which, you can easily get rid of mouse and keyboard.

Glad to see I’m not a completely worthless moron.

Me three -- only I designed a device around 1996 that you place your hands into rather than on screen (no touch screens back then). However I was looking as well at finger motion so the "intent" to click a button based on the angle the finger travels -- it doesn't have to be exact. The problem with keyboards is you have to pick up your fingers and press an exact spot -- that produces errors.

I just don't have the money to patent every idea I come up with

• Reply 47 of 48
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Must be an American thing.

Never mind, found Macrumors. They don't do the comma thing and they seem to report everything a few hours before appleinsider.

It's like appleinsider are samsunging Macrumors. image

Wow, you're right.  It's like AI without DED's editorials/fan-fiction.  Very nice.

• Reply 48 of 48
    I am afraid Samsung might have upper hand in this area. Motion sensor, eye scanner.. And they've invested in the first mobile phone company that introduced the finger print ID.