Nokia takes page from Microsoft in new Lumia ad, goes after iPad's lack of physical keyboard

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    thedbathedba Posts: 762member
    MS and now Nokia just invented the netbook. .... Oh wait!
  • Reply 22 of 50

I actually found some intelligence on youtube comments.

• Reply 23 of 50

Should I have wished a keyboard, I would have bought a MacBook Air instead of an iPad.

By the way, I am an happy user of Pages too (Mac & Os version)  : )

• Reply 24 of 50

I guess they are trying to convince me to give up my iPad for their look-a-like poly-carbon laptop. They don't get the difference between tablets and laptops. Let me help them, iPad is a tablet (no keyboard required), their product is a laptop with a removable keyboard (required). Have they shown this thing working in portrait mode?  Its funny how you tout a keyboard but cant show off using that thing ing portrait mode.

• Reply 25 of 50
    Just a moment.

If Microsoft has been running Nokia (essentially), and is now purchasing them, then why is Nokia releasing a product that competes directly with Microsoft's product?
  • Reply 26 of 50

Unlike the iPad, the Surface Pro has a personality-complex and therefore "requires" a keyboard. The iPad knows what it is, it is a convenience device. Something that Microsoft doesn't seem to grasp, they keep on complicating a simple idea and coming up with mega-features that defeat the purpose of a tablet, and you're left wondering "why don't I just buy a laptop?!"

I remember being at a BestBuy and overheard a salesperson trying to push the Surface over the iPad claiming "It's, by far, the best tablet in the market" to a client who walked in to buy a tablet. I remember the client concluding that the Surface sounded confusing and that she wasn't sure if it was a laptop or a tablet. Needless to say, she ended up buying the iPad.

• Reply 27 of 50
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    This is the equivalent of a forum debate where one party starts making fun of an alias or grammar because they have nothing else to argue yet don't want to admit they already lost.
  • Reply 28 of 50
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Physical keyboards have been an option since the day the iPad was released. I am not sure why MS and now Nokia think not selling a key board cover means the iPad doesn't gave a keyboard or even an Apple keyboard.

The dock keyboard was there originally. They Apple Bluetooth keyboard is still there today. There are more varieties of third party iPad keyboards than units sold of Windows RT...
  • Reply 29 of 50
    Microsoft's Nokia takes a leaf out of Microsoft's book? Surprising. You'd almost believe that they were "bought".
  • Reply 30 of 50
    mknoppmknopp Posts: 257member

I know three people who own Surface tablets, and every one of them want and use it like a laptop. That is my experience with the difference between people who own iPads and those who use the Surface. People who own iPads want a tablet and use it like a tablet. People who own the Surface want a laptop and use it like a laptop. This is why the RT version did so poorly, it couldn't really function like a laptop, which is what too many Windows indoctrinated understand and want.

That being said, I personally went through and know many friends who went through some pain when the first iPad was released and we had to learn the differences (both good and bad) between a laptop and a tablet, and where each should be used. I truly believe that Apple is winning this round because they are looking to the future, while Microsoft and Nokia seem inexorably mired in the past.

• Reply 31 of 50
    Originally Posted by SteveBlobs

[post]

Who’s sadder, the company who has to make lie about its competitors to even make an ad about its own product or the person paid by that company to spend his life on competitors’ forums?

• Reply 32 of 50
    It's a stupid argument for anyone who's ever touched a tablet. I'm good with my full sized Bluetooth Apple keyboard should I need one.
  • Reply 33 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mknopp View Post

People who own iPads want a tablet and use it like a tablet. People who own the Surface want a laptop and use it like a laptop. 

True, and the only difference between a Surface with a keyboard and a laptop is that in a laptop the guts are where they're supposed to be, under the keyboard, whereas in the Surface they're behind the screen making it top-heavy requiring a stand.

• Reply 34 of 50

2 cents.

I think Microsoft still apply the concept of notbook/netbook to tablet (It need to come with keyboard).

Before iPad, anyone could image that a 'tablet' managed by the native pointers come with most of us?

Yes. A tablet come with keyboard is handy sometimes for work. But how many of us really need to use a keyboard most of the time? Yes for those who are 'working' outside, but really that matter for most of the rest? If we must use a keyboard along with a tablet, why not just bring a laptop anyway?

Besides, a Lumia 2520 with keyboard doesn't really more portable (in weight) than an iPad Air with keyboard.

• Reply 35 of 50

That's actually quite a funny ad so well done to Nokia for that.

I'd really like to see how well one of these does work outside. When they launched it they said the screen worked outside which to me would be amazing. I don't understand why phone screens are perfectly fine to view in sunlight yet, take an iPad outside and you can hardly see anything on the screen.

• Reply 36 of 50
    Since, at least for the Surface, you have to buy a keyboard separately, there is no difference between buying an iPad separately, and adding a keyboard later.

The big difference between the iPad Keyboard and Windows 8 Keyboard is that the iPad works great without a keyboard, and may work even better for some tasks with a keyboard, whereas Windows 8 Keyboard is mediocre without and with keyboard.
  • Reply 37 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

The big difference between the iPad Keyboard and Windows 8 Keyboard is that the iPad works great without a keyboard, and may work even better for some tasks with a keyboard, whereas Windows 8 Keyboard is mediocre without and with keyboard.

What make you think that? I find the Keyboard fairly useless for anything in the Modern UI part of Win 8 which is all the RT version really is. If I'm in a Modern UI app, I flip the keyboard round the back.

Unless you want to do any typing, Modern UI apps are so focused on touch there's not much point using anything else. On a desktop it's still easy enough to use with a mouse, it just isn't as great experience as on a tablet.

• Reply 38 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

That's actually quite a funny ad so well done to Nokia for that.

I'd really like to see how well one of these does work outside. When they launched it they said the screen worked outside which to me would be amazing. I don't understand why phone screens are perfectly fine to view in sunlight yet, take an iPad outside and you can hardly see anything on the screen.

I struggled with that on my first-gen iPad as well. Then one day, while I was outside, I went to Settings and discovered that for some reason the brightness was lowered. So I turned it up to full, and amazingly, I could see MUCH better on my iPad on a bright day. It wasn't perfect, and I still couldn't use it in very bright and direct sunlight, but it made a large and functional difference. 

My laptop is only marginally better. My phone is certainly better but also a smaller, more dense screen. Perhaps that's the reason?

I'm also curious just how readable the Lumia would be in direct sunlight. Maybe there's something about the smaller, 16:9 screens perhaps?

• Reply 39 of 50
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    Just a moment.

If Microsoft has been running Nokia (essentially), and is now purchasing them, then why is Nokia releasing a product that competes directly with Microsoft's product?

No they haven't been running Nokia, the fact that this product has been released it proof of that. Microsoft won't be running the devices division of Nokia until next year.
  • Reply 40 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Who’s sadder, the company who has to make lie about its competitors to even make an ad about its own product or the person paid by that company to spend his life on competitors’ forums?

Poor Tallest Skil, you must be ill to know Blobby is back!  I am deliverer of justice against fruity flavoured oppression!   Samsung have people like me watching forum like this so beware!

Blobby, blobby blobby!