Honda announces Siri Eyes Free integration for 3 car models, promises more by December

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Coming through on a promise made nearly one year ago, Honda on Tuesday announced certain vehicles in its 2013 to 2014 lineup now feature compatibility with Apple's Siri Eyes Free mode, with the integration offered as a dealer installed accessory.

Siri Eyes Free

Along with Honda models like the Accord, the Japanese car maker's high-end marque Acura will be introducing Siri Eyes Free in its RDX and ILX models as an aftermarket add-on to be installed at the dealership. Honda first announced upcoming availability in January.

"Honda recognizes the power of Siri Eyes Free to meet connectivity and convenience needs of its customers in a responsible manner," said Honda's vice president of product planning and logistics Art St. Cyr. "With technology becoming further integrated into people's lives, we are happy to provide next-generation connectivity and meet our customer's ever-changing needs.

According to Honda, the company had to reengineer its proprietary HondaLink and AcuraLink connected car software to interface with Siri Eyes Free, allowing Apple's system access to the car's speakers and microphone.

Apple's Siri Eyes Free functionality allows owners of compatible vehicles to perform a variety of in-car tasks without taking their eyes off the road. For example, users can tell Siri to send and text messages or emails, create calendar events and reminders, activate turn-by-turn navigation and more.

In addition, Siri Eyes Free keeps an iPhone's display off during tasks so as not to distract the driver.

Honda will also be announcing additional models on Dec. 3 via a Google hangout session.

Apple's Siri Eyes Free was first introduced in June 2012 at the company's Worldwide Developers Conference with nine auto makers pledging support for the platform. Chevrolet was first to bring the technology to market with its Spark and Sonic models in February and, citing "remarkable" customer response, announced an expansion to the program that will cover six more 2014 model year cars.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    What I'm curious about, Will eyes free integrated cars be able to use iTunes Radio without having to use 3G, like pandora and Sirius use?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    If this article is about Siri Eyes Free as it relates to Honda, why is the interior of a BMW pictured?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    "I'm sorry Dave. After the way you spoke to me yesterday we are NOT going home!"
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Sweet we are an Apple Honda family & our Honda lease is up next summer
  • Reply 5 of 15
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by robertsm View Post

What I'm curious about, Will eyes free integrated cars be able to use iTunes Radio without having to use 3G, like pandora and Sirius use?

I'm pretty sure all data is still handled by the phone. 

• Reply 6 of 15
    Originally Posted by robertsm View Post

Even if the car has its own data stream, why are you pretending you won’t be paying for that separately?

• Reply 7 of 15
    The 2014 Civic adds iOS in the car.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    rasimo wrote: »
    The 2014 Civic adds iOS in the car.
    Damn, I wish they could find a way to bring this to older vehicles. I own a 2012 Civic and would love to have something like this.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Hmmm. Will the dealer be able to install Siri Eyes Free in my '00 S2000? I kinda doubt it.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    This sounds interesting, but I have yet to see an ACTUAL demonstration of Siri Eyes.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Honda will also be announcing additional models on Dec. 3 via a Google hangout session.

Holy Honda, hangout with whom, exactly?
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rosujin View Post

This sounds interesting, but I have yet to see an ACTUAL demonstration of Siri Eyes.

There is nothing to demonstrate.  Press and hold the phone button on the car's steering wheel and it activates Siri without having to reach for the phone to press and hold the home button.  If you have a vehicle compatible with the stereo software update ('13 Accord models), then you can trigger Siri using the car's phone button.

Dumb article considering it is about Hondas and AI posts a picture of a BMW.  Do they even know the difference?

• Reply 13 of 15

i just had this installed on my '14 RDX. can confirm all it does is allow you to use the voice control button on the car to control Siri. a lot of functions are disabled and you have to unlock your phone to do functions. turn by turn is handled by the phone, no option to push to car's navi. absolutely nothing special. if my dealer didn't do it for free, i would have passed.

• Reply 14 of 15
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    hillstones wrote: »
    Dumb article considering it is about Hondas and AI posts a picture of a BMW.  Do they even know the difference?

Speaking of BMW they just reached agreement with Amazon for in-car Cloud Player services. :err:
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/12/03/amazon-cloud-player-bmw-mini/
  • Reply 15 of 15
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    weixindeng wrote: »
    if my dealer didn't do it for free, i would have passed.

1) Sorry to hear that. And welcome to the forum

...and some lame humour:

2) Free? You have paid for it one way or the other. Don't believe me, Google it ¡