Apple widens lead over Android in worldwide ad impression share, now twice as large

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
For the third quarter of 2013, worldwide ad impressions recorded from devices running Apple's iOS doubled those from rival Android, one report says, once again suggesting higher Web engagement from iPhone, iPad and iPod touch users.

Ad Share
Source: Adfonic

According to fresh data from ad buying platform and mobile DSP Adfonic, Apple's iOS accounted for 63 percent of all global impressions during quarter three, a three percent boost from the quarter previous. Despite having a vastly larger marketshare, Android dipped six points to finish the three-month period with a 32 percent ad impression share.

With iOS and Android dominating the field, third place BlackBerry came up with a three percent ad impression share, followed by Windows Phone at 0.9 percent and Java at 0.8 percent. Microsoft's mobile platform managed to improve by 13 percent quarter-to-quarter, but its marketshare is still insignificant.

As can be expected, Apple was the number one manufacturer, followed by Samsung, which held steady at 20 percent. The rest of the ad impression pie was broken into small pieces. HTC and BlackBerry held a three percent share each, while LG, Nokia and Sony Ericsson all logged a two percent marketshare. Below the one-percent mark was Sony, Motorola, Amazon.

Ad Share

Broken down by device, Apple's iPhone generated a huge 35 percent of all ad impressions, while the iPad followed with a 21 percent share and the iPod touch hit third with six percent. A sprinkling of Samsung products trailed the Apple pack. The Galaxy S3 managed only three percent, the S2 hit two percent and the Galaxy Ace and S3 mini brought one percent each.

Finally, Apple's iPhone and iPad were the top performers in their respective mobile device and tablet categories, boasting marketshare of 49 percent and 76 percent, respectively.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    [I]once again suggesting higher Web engagement from iPhone, iPad and iPod touch users[/I]

I guess the cheaper devices running Android are given to kids to play offline games. Which kinda makes sense, as apparently some people don't want to hand over their iOS device to a kid since there is no multi-user support.
  • Reply 2 of 60
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    philboogie wrote: »
    once again suggesting higher Web engagement from iPhone, iPad and iPod touch users

I guess the cheaper devices running Android are given to kids to play offline games. Which kinda makes sense, as apparently some people don't want to hand over their iOS device to a kid since there is no multi-user support.

perhaps more android devices run adblock software than do ios devices?
  • Reply 3 of 60
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    pooch wrote: »

Hahaha!
  • Reply 4 of 60
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

What?  

Android has the overwhelmingly dominant market share, and yet, Apple has the overwhelmingly dominant worldwide ad impressions?

Okay that defies common sense, or am I just wildly off here?

Someone spends $200 on a tablet and doesn't use it?

Even a user who only checks email, plays Candy Krush, and Googles stuff is still going to be using their tablet a LOT.

You don't have to play the latest 64 bit games to be on your tablet for hours just reading the news and posting on social sites/services.

I personally wonder if the market share numbers for Android are not wildly inaccurate.

If Android tablet market share is actually WAY smaller than reported, then these ad impression numbers make much more sense.

I trust the ad numbers more than the market share numbers personally.  Advertisers pay based on these numbers.

Just a thought!

• Reply 5 of 60
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

Not since they disappeared from Google's play store, part of their "walled garden" clean up.

It's due to the majority of Android's market share coming from people who buy cheap, low end handsets and only use them for voice calls and text.

• Reply 6 of 60
    starxdstarxd Posts: 128member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

once again suggesting higher Web engagement from iPhone, iPad and iPod touch users

Not only are iOS users more active online than Android users, but they are also far more affluent and therefore more desirable to advertisers.  Companies will pay a premium to reach iOS users.  The majority of Android users are very poor, in developing countries.  No advertisers are trying to reach them, therefore they see far fewer ads.  

• Reply 7 of 60
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    starxd wrote: »
    Not only are iOS users more active online than Android users, but they are also far more affluent and therefore more desirable to advertisers.  Companies will pay a premium to reach iOS users.  The majority of Android users are very poor, in developing countries.  No advertisers are trying to reach them, therefore they see far fewer ads.  

I think surveys show iOS users have whiter teeth and clearer skin too.
  • Reply 8 of 60

poor loll

do you know how much it cost to make a iphone 5s 

keep drinking that apple juice your phone is also made by 13 years old 

• Reply 9 of 60
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    @ Wilson Dur,

It is now clear you have no intention of maintaining civil and mature discourse. Your posts have been flagged for trolling.
  • Reply 10 of 60
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wilson Dur View Post

It's about 4000 SPBU*, isn't it?

*Samsung paid blogger units, a new form of currency which will be bigger than bitcoin.

• Reply 11 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

@ Wilson Dur,

It is now clear you have no intention of maintaining civil and mature discourse. Your posts have been flagged for trolling.

lol weaklinks 

• Reply 12 of 60
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I think surveys show iOS users have whiter teeth and clearer skin too.

What of it?
  • Reply 13 of 60
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilson Dur View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

@ Wilson Dur,

lol weaklinks 

Don't be silly. He didn't post any links.

• Reply 14 of 60
    undefined
  • Reply 15 of 60
    Smarter and better educated too.
  • Reply 16 of 60
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    starxd wrote: »

Apple ][, is that you?
  • Reply 17 of 60
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    wilson dur wrote: »
    poor loll

keep drinking that apple juice your phone is also made by 13 years old 

Ohhh how I miss Tallest Skil being a moderator right now.
  • Reply 18 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

What?  

Android has the overwhelmingly dominant market share, and yet, Apple has the overwhelmingly dominant worldwide ad impressions?

Even a user who only checks email, plays Candy Krush, and Googles stuff is still going to be using their tablet a LOT.

You don't have to play the latest 64 bit games to be on your tablet for hours just reading the news and posting on social sites/services.

I personally wonder if the market share numbers for Android are not wildly inaccurate.

If Android tablet market share is actually WAY smaller than reported, then these ad impression numbers make much more sense.

I trust the ad numbers more than the market share numbers personally.  Advertisers pay based on these numbers.

Just a thought!

Yes, 

This is great news for Apple and is devastatingly bad news for Google and Samsung. I wonder if WS, investors and the media will realise and take notice?

This data is consistent with all other web usage data I have seen i.e that despite the increasingly exaggerated and desperate claims from Google  about Android activations, iOS is increasing its dominance of web usage, while Android's declines.

Google's whole strategy has been to give away Android for free so that they could data mine and place adverts on mobile devices. To this end they stabbed Steve Jobs in the back, slavishly copies iOS, alienated Apple by their treachery and lost their favoured status on iOS devices. Google's strategy can now be be seen to be a total failure. Apple totally dominates mobile web usage and now Facebook is attacking Google too with mobile social media.

TABLETS

The evidence is quite clear that Strategy Analytics, IDC, Gartner and others have massively exaggerated the number of "genuine" Android tablets shipped or actually sold. As has been exposed by the forensic analysis of DED and Ben Smith, the great majority of Android tablets shipped are either nothing more than Android USB chips (which Google bizarrely registered as tablets) or are cheap, ultra low specification white box devices which shut out Google from data mining and from placing adverts and are themselves shut out from Google Play, and which are either used as TVs or are so low spec that they are incapable of normal tablet usage such as web browsing , emails, shopping or clicking on adverts etc.

Chitika's web usage data has consistently shown that iPads totally dominate the North American market with over 80% share of impressions. Now this data from Adfonic confirms that globally the iPad has 76% share of Ad impressions.

This leaves just 24% web usage shared amongst all other tablets.

This 76:24 ratio represents the true relative user base of "genuine" tablets which actually do compete with the iPads.  A  total of 172m iPads have beens sold, which means that around 54 million other "genuine" tablets  have actually been sold and are being used. However this includes forked Android Kindles, which are useless for Google.

The remaining phantom Android tablets shipments conjured up by Strategy Analytics, IDC, Gartner and others are totally irrelevant in terms of competition for iPads or as platforms for Google  to place their adverts.

SMARTPHONES & OTHER MOBILE DEVICES

According to Adfonic iPhones have 49% the web usage share. Amazingly the iTouch has another  8.6% which is MORE than both Samsung's Galaxy S3 (4.8%) plus the S4 LTE (1.8%) plus the Galaxy Note 2 (0.9%) COMBINED.

This suggest that in fact FAR MORE iPhones and FAR FEWER Galaxy smartphones and Notes have actually been sold and are being used than the exaggerated shipments numbers estimated by Strategy Analytics, IDC, Gartner and others.

Of course, there are those that argue that for some reason Android smartphone users surf the web far less than iPhones. However, given that Galaxies have such huge screens, supposedly much better for web usage than the smaller screens of iPhones, this is not very plausible explanation.

However, if it is true that for some reason iPhones are used much more than Androids, then this shows why iPhones customers are so much more valuable both for carriers (hence they larger subsidies for iPhones) and for advertisers.

Another confirmation of just how much more valuable are iOS users comes from analysis of Facebook data by Nanigans, who found that Facebook advertisers see nearly 18 TIMES BETTER RETURNS on iOS than Android.

• Reply 19 of 60
    juiljuil Posts: 75member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

Just so you know, the entire Android platform is advertisement-subsidised. Meaning that browser ad impressions/clicks and in-app ads make the lion’s share of revenues going to Google’s coffers from the platform. So what you imply is akin to a meat shop handing flyers promoting vegetarian lifestyle in front of their shop.  

• Reply 20 of 60
    512ke wrote: »
    What?  

Android has replaced the basic flip-phone.

Nowadays... people around the world are buying phones and they happen to be running some version of Android. That means they get counted in Google's activation numbers... even if they are only used for voice and text.

That might explain why Android can have 80% market share... but have very little online engagement.

I also think you're underestimating the huge number of Android phones sold in parts of the world that might not have good 3G access. Again... there's probably not much web browsing, ad impressions or app downloads happening there.

They just bought a phone to be a phone... and it just happens to be running Android.

"Android market share" includes ALL phones running Android: from the $50 phone sold in a developing nation... to a $600 flagship phone.

There may be a lot of Android smartphones out in the world... but they're not all being used as smartphones.