Apple, Inc. stock breaks $545 barrier as Samsung calls 'Crisis Awareness' meeting

Comments

• Reply 61 of 205
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Samsung components are made to Apple's specs. Their assembled electronic products are made to resemble Apple products, but made to Samsung specs... therein lies the rub.

QED. If you think sloppily you will come to sloppy conclusions and reveal yourself as a fool.

I know you just want to sound smart to everyone out here on the internet, it's ok, I know it's probably your only way to voice out to people. Arguing over the internet is like competing in the special Olympics, whether you win or lose, you're still retarded. 

• Reply 62 of 205
    spider2465 wrote: »
    I know you just want to sound smart to everyone out here on the internet, it's ok, I know it's probably you're only way to voice out to people. Arguing over the internet is like competing in the special Olympics, whether you win or lose, you're still retarded. 

FYI: This trite comment onlys work when you're not saying it over the internet.
  • Reply 63 of 205
    5" iPhone would really squeeze Samsung
  • Reply 64 of 205
    Quote:

Originally Posted by spider2465 View Post

Well I know a lot of people on here are Apple fans but I think it's funny when they insult Samsung's products that at the heart for their iproducts, runs a processor made by Samsung. I also think it's funny that people are so surprised by this considering that Samsung has payed Apple almost $1.3 billion because of all those ridiculous lawsuits.

Well I know a lot of trolls on here are Samsung fans but I think it's funny when they insult Samsung's products that at the heart of the iproducts they despise so much.

• Reply 65 of 205
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Apple licenses from ARM (that's how ARM business model works) but then Apple designe their own chips. These are chips that aren't using ARM's Cortex brand. These are chips that include a great deal of IP that Apple owns — not ARM, not Samsung — which makes your "technically, apple SoCs are just licensed and branded ARM chips," technically, horse shit.

Well, it's a chip that basically has 3 fundtions.  CPU, GPU and I/O (memory controller).  The CPU design comes from ARM.  GPU is very similar to PowerVR. 

Apple licensed the IP from these companies.  Overall, it reduces the number of chips needed, as well as size.  This allows the iPhones to have a better battery life. 

If Apple had to purchase the chips separately, it'd likely cost between $60-65.  But by designing it themselves, and having Samsung do the heavy lifting and manufacturing, it costs about $15.

Again, if Intel starts fabricating chips (most likely this will occur), then the costs may go down further;  Qualcomm has a great processor line, but Apple only uses their chip for connectivity.   Intel's acquisition of Infineon would likely result in a chip designed by Apple that would likely replace the Qualcomm processor. 

But, the additional Intellectual Property and licenses Apple needs will likely be very difficult... if not impossible.

• Reply 66 of 205
    (Deleted; no point in continuing this.)
  • Reply 67 of 205
    Quote:

If someone states that won't support Samsung in any way then it should be noted, but usually I read it from people that are trying to discredit anything Apple has accomplished, like MalcolmTucker.

It's interesting that you seem to think that way.  Windows 7 runs very smoothly on my macbook pro, and relatively durable.  They accomplished a customer and sale for that.  At the end of the day, it's just a computer, and there's no need to be so defensive.

• Reply 68 of 205
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Please refrain from posting until you've figured out the difference between grammar and punctuation.

As an aside, English is not my first language. Is it yours?

Thanks for asking.  Technically, I'm Scottish. 

• Reply 69 of 205
    Well, it's a chip that basically has 3 fundtions.  CPU, GPU and I/O (memory controller).  The CPU design comes from ARM.  GPU is very similar to PowerVR. 

Apple licensed the IP from these companies.  Overall, it reduces the number of chips needed, as well as size.  This allows the iPhones to have a better battery life. 

If Apple had to purchase the chips separately, it'd likely cost between $60-65.  But by designing it themselves, and having Samsung do the heavy lifting and manufacturing, it costs about $15.

Again, if Intel starts fabricating chips (most likely this will occur), then the costs may go down further;  Qualcomm has a great processor line, but Apple only uses their chip for connectivity.   Intel's acquisition of Infineon would likely result in a chip designed by Apple that would likely replace the Qualcomm processor. 

But, the additional Intellectual Property and licenses Apple needs will likely be very difficult... if not impossible.

All this is bullshit, from your made up prices to the layered, complex SoCs only having 3 functions to Apple having no IP of their own on their branded SoCs.
  • Reply 70 of 205
    Quote:

All this is bullshit. From your made up prices to the layered, complex SoCs only having 3 functions.

Well, with the proper search query, you can find anything on Google.  The numbers, were estimates from an analyst, (I closed the window, but I believe it was an IHS iSupply report). 

Anyways, Google is an amazing website.  I'm told it's been around for a while.  It'll have to work as a temporary fix until Apple brings Sherlock Web Search back!

• Reply 71 of 205
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post

Quote:

Apple licenses from ARM (that's how ARM business model works) but then Apple designe their own chips. These are chips that aren't using ARM's Cortex brand. These are chips that include a great deal of IP that Apple owns — not ARM, not Samsung — which makes your "technically, apple SoCs are just licensed and branded ARM chips," technically, horse shit.

Where, exactly, are you going with all this? From your starting point of "Apple is just a retailer" you appear to have moved smoothly on to explaining how Apple reduce their costs by designing their own chips, then to speculation that Apple will design an Intel fabbed chip that would further reduce costs, and finally to more speculation that your earlier speculation won't happen because of IP issues.

Ignoring, for a moment, that you studiously avoided Solipsism's points, isn't that all a bit ambitious for a lowly retailer?

• Reply 72 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Where, exactly, are you going with all this? From your starting point of "Apple is just a retailer" you appear to have moved smoothly on to explaining how Apple reduce their costs by designing their own chips, then to speculation that Apple will design an Intel fabbed chip that would further reduce costs, and finally to more speculation that your earlier speculation won't happen because of IP issues.

Ignoring, for a moment, that you studiously avoided Solipsism's points, isn't that all a bit ambitious for a lowly retailer?

Do you work at Apple because I think Apple has done a great job with vertically aligning their business, along with other businesses in adjacent industries of media and entertainment along their goal to sell hardware.  Samsung didn't do so well with that.

Today, I have a Samsung TV, AppleTV, and Sony BluRay.  But my AppleTV replaced trips to Best Buy to purchase videos and music, and Steve Jobs idea of the AppStore makes it so I don't have to go to the Apple Store anymore. 

Peter Oppenheimer is a star in my book, and gets a thumbs-up!  Once he figures out how to close the retail stores, he should be promoted to the CEO position. 

• Reply 73 of 205
    Quote:

Quote:

Do you work at Apple because I think Apple has done a great job with vertically aligning their business, along with other businesses in adjacent industries of media and entertainment along their goal to sell hardware.  Samsung didn't do so well with that.

Today, I have a Samsung TV, AppleTV, and Sony BluRay.  But my AppleTV replaced trips to Best Buy to purchase videos and music, and Steve Jobs idea of the AppStore makes it so I don't have to go to the Apple Store anymore. 

Peter Oppenheimer is a star in my book, and gets a thumbs-up!  Once he figures out how to close the retail stores, he should be promoted to the CEO position. 

No, I don't work at Apple because of your opinion of their business model.  I'd be happy to continue the discussion but for your persistent inappropriate use of conjunctions, refusal to stay on topic, random subject changes, penchant for non sequiturs, and dubious association with the Scots.

• Reply 74 of 205
    Quote:

No, I don't work at Apple because of your opinion of their business model.  I'd be happy to continue the discussion but for your persistent inappropriate use of conjunctions, refusal to stay on topic, random subject changes, penchant for non sequiturs, and dubious association with the Scots.

You should know that Muppets make me happy, and that's why I'm responding to you.  ;)  Which is your favorite?

• Reply 75 of 205
    Quote:

Quote:

You should know that Muppets make me happy, and that's why I'm responding to you.  ;)  Which is your favorite?

I'm sure they do if you say so, but how should I have known that? You should know that, as a Scot, you are misspelling "favourite".

• Reply 76 of 205
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Apple, on the other hand, is more-or-less a retailer, whose products are made in China, and that work employs Chinese, and Lee Clow's ad agency. Still, apple's contribution to the US economy is sub-1% of the US GDP.   iPhone sales account for roughly 0.4% of the US GDP.

But that's the genius of Apple- virtually everything in the news about Apple is based on some sort of unverified rumor; and spun to Apple's benefit.   Peter Oppenheimer is the highest-paid CFO in the country, and it could probably benefit his health if he made some new friends, or took on a new hobby.

What does Lee Chow's ad agency have to do with anything?

S Korea is a small country compared to the US. Apple employs lots of employees in the US and virtually created the mobile app developer jobs, case/accessories jobs, etc.

Just goes to show, you aren't too bright. The retail stores are Apple's introduction to a lot of people. They bring in the $$$$. Only a fool would close them anytime soon.
  • Reply 77 of 205

Crisis Awareness = pooping in pants

• Reply 78 of 205
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Samsung has little to worry about.

But apple has some things to worry about. This Tim Cook Guy doesn't seem to have the same magic.
    Tim Cook Guy doesn't have any magic except that every fking Apple device released in his time became the best selling device in the world. Does he even need any magic? I guess not.
  • Reply 79 of 205
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

What does Lee Chow's ad agency have to do with anything?

S Korea is a small country compared to the US. Apple employs lots of employees in the US and virtually created the mobile app developer jobs, case/accessories jobs, etc.

Just goes to show, you aren't too bright. The retail stores are Apple's introduction to a lot of people. They bring in the $$$$. Only a fool would close them anytime soon.

Lee Clow's ad agency is great.

As for the mobile app developer marketplace, well, Nokia actually created that.  However, Apple used its marketshare and reach from the iPod line, and intergrated itunes distribution.   Nokia really struggled to get apps.

As for your final point, well, 75% of iPhones are sold through carriers, and you could purchase an iPad from Target..!  So, there's room for improvement.  The market is already served through other retailers.  Apple is just duplicating efforts.  So, if Peter Oppenheimer can lay off half of his workforce (I think this is why Ron Johnson quit), he'd save the company more money than any type of income tax scheme!

• Reply 80 of 205
    Well, something seems missing.  I can't quite put my finger on it.

If you're searching for your prostate, your head is probably in the way. :D

You walked right into that... no apologies....:smokey: