Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    I have had no problems with iMovie 3 in over 5 hours use of it.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    surfratsurfrat Posts: 341member
    I haven't really had "problems" as you put it. It's just been freaking sloooow as heck. Now, whether this is a "problem" or just the fact that it consumes more resources than iMovie 2 is unclear to me. But I'm pretty dissapointed, because iMovie 3 has so many excellent features, and it is basically unusable on my PowerMac G4 (400MHz, AGP, 512MB RAM)

I already tried that terminal trick, and there was no change in the performance of iMovie 3. I sure hope it's not just my computer, and that Apple will just be able to include a speed fix in a future update.

Here's to hoping!
  • Reply 3 of 31
    I've noticed a bit of sluggishness (600MHz, iBook, 640MB RAM). But I also haven't used it much, so I cannot say in "real use" how good or bad it is. I also find is somewhat difficult to believe that anyone has had much "real use" time with it given it was only available late yesterday afternoon.

I've read of problems loading old iM2 projects. Mine all appeared to load fine.

We'll see. I there are really major issues, Apple is know to fix problems fairly quickly. The argument of whether it was rushed out the door or not is a different matter. I'll reserve judgement until I see the same issues.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    iLife discussion here goes in Digital Hub. Moving there now.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    iMovie3 breaks the Formac studio and perviously made projects from the Formac studio. all projects from the studio have a very load buzzing noise. There are also other problems read the apple discussions link above.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I read that if you extract the audio from a Formac movie in iMovie, it fixes the audio problem.

I think I read that at the MacNN forums.

[ 02-01-2003: Message edited by: BuonRotto ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 31
    Cant beleive that iM3 would have such major problems
  • Reply 8 of 31
    firehcfirehc Posts: 368member
    it just quitted after 1/2 hr of work,

damn!
  • Reply 9 of 31
    IM3 wont open my quicktime clips that worked in IM2. if you dont have QT Pro to convert it to DV, it's useless.

btw, whenever i try to open IM3 from my dock (not from applications folder), it opens up iPhoto instead... strange...
  • Reply 10 of 31
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Try droping the files on iMovie3, it might work. I saw a post that mpegs could be imported by droping but not via the menu.

Someone else said it, but this is not iMovie3 but iMovie-Coca 0.3.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    [quote]Originally posted by Addison:

<strong>Try droping the files on iMovie3, it might work. I saw a post that mpegs could be imported by droping but not via the menu.

Someone else said it, but this is not iMovie3 but iMovie-Coca 0.3.</strong><hr></blockquote>

i had tried that... still didnt work.

encoding to dv takes forever and the picture doesnt look as good afterwards. i want imovie2 back...
  • Reply 12 of 31
    I cant believe my almost perfect iMovie 2 has been replaced by this sluggish, buggy junk.

After years in developement I expect a decent upgrade first time, without waiting months for updates.

I'm sure these problems will be fixed in time, but I'd rather not be an unwilling beta tester when iMovie 2 was serving me so well.

How do I get 2 back?

[ 02-07-2003: Message edited by: womblingfree ]</p>
  • Reply 13 of 31
    guyguy Posts: 16member
    I've only used it on an iBook, but damn it's slow! Can't import or preview anything at full frame rate.

Feels like a beta for chrissakes!
  • Reply 14 of 31
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    No it doesn't. It works fine for me, and most.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    imovie 3 has been a pleasure to use for me. Ive had only a slight problem with the new sound level options, but I believe that it was my fault anyhow.

I am working on a QS867 gigram X.2.3 with 1 hour of film in over 120 clips, and 100+ photos from iphoto.

This software is awesome
  • Reply 16 of 31
    noseynosey Posts: 307member
    [quote]Originally posted by womblingfree:

<strong>I cant believe my almost perfect iMovie 2 has been replaced by this sluggish, buggy junk.</strong><hr></blockquote>

[quote]Originally posted by Guy:

I've only used it on an iBook, but damn it's slow! Can't import or preview anything at full frame rate.

Feels like a beta for chrissakes! <hr></blockquote>

What kind of systems are you guys running, model, speed and memory.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    [quote]What kind of systems are you guys running, model, speed and memory. <hr></blockquote>

17inch iMac, 800mhz, 256mb.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    [quote]Originally posted by womblingfree:

<strong>

17inch iMac, 800mhz, 256mb.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'll add an extra 512mb RAM next month, hopefully that'll speed things up. Still annoying as iMovie 2 worked fine with my current set-up.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    I really don't like the first impressions on iM3 either. After installing it I opened a project I had been working with in iM2 of some 12 gigs in size. The sound was completely off, meaning it had been moved by about two seconds forward and some of the sounds just didn't play. After trying out few of the new effects (which would be absolutely, no doubt great if they worked) iMovie 3 crashed on me. So after using it for 30 minutes it managed to crash on me.. I guess I'll wait for the update.

BTW, compared to iMovie2, iMovie3 was very sluggish on my G4/733 (Slowsilver) too.

Crashy, Buggy, Slow. Sheit
  • Reply 20 of 31
    I just reinstalled iMovie2 and it works like a dream just as I remembered, (so it wasn't my memory playing tricks on me after all).

Gimme a ring when Apple produce an UPgrade rather than a downgrade.