Apple confirms PrimeSense acquisition, deal rumored to be worth $360M

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 78
    ireland wrote: »
    Patents are the worst thing ever to happen this industry.

That's a tad extreme. I would say that there needs to be some patent reform plus an expedited enforcement process.
  • Reply 62 of 78
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,385member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Why would you say that. Sure there are bad players in the industry but Apple wouldn't exist today if it wasn't for patents.

Apple existed and even had some success well before they ever got their first software patent. I think Apple would do just fine without them just as most of the better-run companies would.
  • Reply 63 of 78
    I think Apple is more interested in what you will be able to do when you're in back of the camera rather than in front of it.

I'd not make any large bets one way or another yet...other than consider buying more AAPL.

Have a look at this:

[VIDEO]
    0%[/VIDEO]

Then consider a large view "camera" with a 64-bit APU and an M7 specialized Motion Chip -- that could concurrently display the HD Camera image and/or the 3D Depth-Sensed image....

Where each object is uniquely (separately) identified and can be measured and interacted with...

Then, consider the possibilities...

I'll give you just one: Crowd Sourced Street/Aisle View for outdoor and indoor mapping.

Edit:

Then there's this:

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 64 of 78
    gatorguy wrote: »

It is also a bonus negative impact to their competitors with them grabbing all of the technology and patents and taking this companies products off the market. 

As IP goes Intel may have as much in the way of 3D gesture patents as anyone else, and certainly much more than PrimeSense. Look for Intel-based PC's with gesture control hitting store shelves this next year.
    http://gigaom.com/2013/09/05/intels-gesture-control-tech-will-be-built-into-pcs-from-2014-but-heres-how-to-try-it-sooner/

All in all Apple is a bit late to the party but with deeper pockets than any of the others they could certainly catch up quickly if it's a priority. They'll probably need to license IP from a few of their tech neighbors tho. Companies like MS, Intel and Qualcomm (perhaps even Google) have a significant head start.

Yeah, I just think Apple is in this for the gesture tech as the primary acquisition item. 3D scanning and mapping could be a very powerful thing for a mobile device. It would make for awesome APIs in iOS.
  • Reply 65 of 78
    Yeah, I just think Apple is in this for the gesture tech as the primary acquisition item. 3D scanning and mapping could be a very powerful thing for a mobile device. It would make for awesome APIs in iOS.

Could be very useful for indoor mapping.
  • Reply 66 of 78
    Have a look at this:

[VIDEO]
    0%[/VIDEO]

Then consider a large view "camera" with a 64-bit APU and an M7 specialized Motion Chip -- that could concurrently display the HD Camera image and/or the 3D Depth-Sensed image....

Where each object is uniquely (separately) identified and can be measured and interacted with...

I'll give you just one: Crowd Sourced Street/Aisle View for outdoor and indoor mapping.

Edit:

Then there's this:

[VIDEO]

In fact, I suggested crowd sourced Apple Maps enhancement around the time of the hullabaloo over Maps. I still think for some kind of small reward (a reward isn't always money, it could be recognition or points) Apple device users should be included in the process.
  • Reply 67 of 78

Could this be the second coming of Pippin, except in the form of an AppleTV running a game-centric version of iOS with the sensor?

• Reply 68 of 78
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

There are loads of potential uses for 3D sensors as they give computers depth perception.

They can use them for the camera so that when you take a photo, it takes a snapshot of the depth information in the scene allowing you to adjust focal blur after taking the picture.

You are just incredibly imaginative. I'm only quoting this part though. It occurred to me some time ago that it would be cool to use the focus point metadata from camera raw files to generate zdepth passes. Unfortunately not enough still cameras have massive focusing point arrays, and even then it's difficult to interpolate. Many just call it "infinity" after a certain point, which isn't that useful. The loss of clarity due to humidity can gradually build up far beyond that. I can think of other ways to do that by sampling tiled ranges to gauge the falloff in contrast, but I don't think it would work well in practice. I'm actually unsure how they would create 3D sensors without using a "trick" similar to what is done with stereoscopic work. There is probably some research, and I doubt it would use only visible spectrum. We only see things in two dimensions though. Everything we see is just the result of inverted light paths that happen to be less than 180 degrees relative to our view.

• Reply 69 of 78
    Wonder if M$ will have to pay Apple for use of the foundation patent????
  • Reply 70 of 78
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hmm View Post

I'm actually unsure how they would create 3D sensors without using a "trick" similar to what is done with stereoscopic work. There is probably some research, and I doubt it would use only visible spectrum. We only see things in two dimensions though. Everything we see is just the result of inverted light paths that happen to be less than 180 degrees relative to our view.

I believe they fire out infrared light, so it's not an entirely passive device.

• Reply 71 of 78
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I believe they fire out infrared light, so it's not an entirely passive device.

Yeah.... I figured something along the lines of non-visible spectrum, at least non-visible to humans.

• Reply 72 of 78
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,780member
    Have a look at this:

[VIDEO]
    0%[/VIDEO]

Edit:

Then there's this:

[VIDEO]

That second one really shows the future doesn't it? Amazing.
  • Reply 73 of 78
    That second one really shows the future doesn't it? Amazing.

And now, for something REALLY important:
    http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2013/11/apple-reveals-new-secure-iwallet-transaction-system.html

Apple is about to make cash obsolete (this could also be used for crypto-currencies like Bitcoin and Litecoin)!
  • Reply 74 of 78
    And now, for something REALLY important:
    http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2013/11/apple-reveals-new-secure-iwallet-transaction-system.html

Apple is about to make cash obsolete (this could also be used for crypto-currencies like Bitcoin and Litecoin)!

No wonder that 'exotic dancer' last night had a QR Code tattooed on her bum. :lol:
  • Reply 75 of 78
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    No wonder that 'exotic dancer' last night had a QR Code tattooed on her bum. :lol:

That's not as goofy an idea as it might initially seem.
  • Reply 76 of 78
    That's not as goofy an idea as it might initially seem.

While I was indeed joking I do suspect that QR Code tattoos will be common in the not so distant future.
  • Reply 77 of 78
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    While I was indeed joking I do suspect that QR Code tattoos will be common in the not so distant future.

If that happens I will be missing jokes like these.

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 78 of 78
    philboogie wrote: »
    If that happens I will be missing jokes like these.

That never gets old no matter what type of payment is the norm.