Apple's Black Friday sale to bring gift cards, not discounts

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    This may be another case of Apple genius. A $50 gift card is almost like a $50 discount, because in the end, you have the product you bought plus $50 more than you would have. The difference if course is that you have to spend that $50 at the apple store.

Now if people buy additional things at the Apple store with the gift cards in an amount that exceeds the number of people who went elsewhere in search of a pure discount, apple comes out ahead. Meanwhile, any "lost" customers are still buying Apple products, just at best buy.
  • Reply 22 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

This may be another case of Apple genius. A $50 gift card is almost like a $50 discount, because in the end, you have the product you bought plus $50 more than you would have. The difference if course is that you have to spend that $50 at the apple store.

Now if people buy additional things at the Apple store with the gift cards in an amount that exceeds the number of people who went elsewhere in search of a pure discount, apple comes out ahead. Meanwhile, any "lost" customers are still buying Apple products, just at best buy.

Of course, it's Apple genius. I chuckled immediately when I read the announcement. It's a good tactic.

But no amount of explanation will make a difference to the perpetual price whiners and deadbeats who think Apple owes them actual discounts because they think Apple makes enough money already.

• Reply 23 of 52
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    This seems like the most logical move considering Apple's push to sell directly to more consumers instead of relying on resellers like Best Buy, Target, etc.
  • Reply 24 of 52

Smart.

• Reply 25 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

Good show, jekeb! :)

Keeps them in the "Apple store!"

Whether that's the Apple physical stores or the Apple online/App store. 

Brilliant!

Most don't realize how much money retail businesses spend, just to entice someone to walk thru the door! :)

Besides, if the average markup is 35+%, Apple is really only giving away $32. I think I have that right?

$50 value to the customer but only ~$30 out of pocket to Apple.

Edit: Having thought about it, a bit, Apple probably insists on quite a lot more mark-up on the third party products it sells in the physical stores. Most likely, approaching 50+%.

• Reply 26 of 52
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Boo.  :(

• Reply 27 of 52
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

But no amount of explanation will make a difference to the perpetual price whiners and deadbeats who think Apple owes them actual discounts because they think Apple makes enough money already.

Paying customers are deadbeats?

• Reply 28 of 52

My goal is to run a business without any customers! :)

• Reply 29 of 52

The fact is, Apple products don't need to be discounted. They continue to sell like crazy. Let other retailers discount if they like.

• Reply 30 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Paying customers are deadbeats?

Don't ask me, ask a dictionary!

• Reply 31 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The fact is, Apple products don't need to be discounted. They continue to sell like crazy. Let other retailers discount if they like.

Agreed.

• Reply 32 of 52

Apple's Black Friday "deals" have always been a bit stingy, so give a gift! The people who receive it will thank you, and will never have to know just how stingy Apple's Black Friday "deals" really are!

Everyone's a winner!

• Reply 33 of 52
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ibrahim cohen View Post

Apple's Black Friday "deals" have always been a bit stingy,

Have you considered the implications of ‘real’ discounts being provided in Apple stores that are already full to the brim with customers?

The death toll for staff and customers would be catastrophic.

• Reply 34 of 52

This just shows what Apple is becoming.. a big soulless money-making corporation. Black Friday was always about "hard cash" discounts, not gift cards.. Their profit margin probably allows them to make a $50-100 discount, but now they've just gotten too greedy.

I'm not saying that a profitable business is a bad thing and that Apple shouldn't make any money. They still make some great products and they deserve all of their customers and profits, but in my opinion they've lost that bit of their revolutionary spirit, that innovation, which was driving them forward in the past 10-15 years..

Now it's all about making incremental updates, making cheaper commodity products like the iPhone 5C.

• Reply 35 of 52
    diesel wrote: »
    This just shows what Apple is becoming.. a big soulless money-making corporation. Black Friday was always about "hard cash" discounts, not gift cards.. Their profit margin probably allows them to make a $50-100 discount, but now they've just gotten too greedy.

I'm not saying that a profitable business is a bad thing and that Apple shouldn't make any money. They still make some great products and they deserve all of their customers and profits, but in my opinion they've lost that bit of their revolutionary spirit, that innovation, which was driving them forward in the past 10-15 years..

Now it's all about making incremental updates, making cheaper commodity products like the iPhone 5C.

Groan.
  • Reply 36 of 52
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Apple doesn't need to deeply discount their products, unlike everybody else. If you don't like Apple's deals, then go to a third party retailer, where some of them are offering better deals.

This strategy also helps to keep some of the Fandroid riff raff away, as Apple is obviously not interested in going after cheap and ignorant customers who base their buying decisions primarily on price.

• Reply 37 of 52
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    I think cash discounts would have been better for customers, like last year:

http://gizmodo.com/5962854/apples-black-friday-deals-are-live

It helps resellers though. I'm not a fan of store credit whether it's for refunds or discounts.
  • Reply 38 of 52
    Since when does Australia celebrate Thanksgiving? I doubt Apple will do gift cards in the states.
  • Reply 39 of 52
    I think it is a great move. Even Target is give gift card and not cash for $100 when you by iPad Air. Also, I assume I can order it online. Waiting to get my MacBook Pro!
  • Reply 40 of 52
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    The uk store is up and it's money off - £80 off a mac book pro, almost £100 off an air, the iPad air is reduced but not the retina mini :)